• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OOP Anime now commanding Big Bucks??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
Do you have a City Hunter '91 box set?? Seems it's OOP, and worth big bucks.

$102.50 Final Bid Price!!

Any other comparable DVD's that were worth less than sticker price before, now commanding hefty price tags?
sykosteve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
I know some of the latter volumes of the Kodocha manga are going for 40+ dollars a piece >_>. And I want to complete the series so badly, but there's no way I'll fork over that much money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:44 am Reply with quote
I actually spend quite a bit of time looking for things that may honestly be collectible and there are quite a few going up in value. I won't list everything I have seen but some of the interesting ones (at least to me) are:

Legitimate copies of the Cowboy Bebop - Perfect Collection are running for as little as $300+ used. When it was out brand new it already had a retail tag of $199, but it's still a price jump for a used set in fair to good condition. I can just imagine what one would run if anyone out there has a mint unopened set.

I thought I had a line on one at ebay once and my bid at the time was $150 until the seller finally fessed up, after I sent him about 5 different e-mails questioning it, that it was a bootleg. I stopped bidding, asked the seller to retract my bids, and reported the item to ebay. They must not care though as I saw the next day the bootleg box sold for $246.

Ai Yori Aoshi volume 1 + artbox has a hefty price tag if you can find it as well. The last time I saw someone selling a legit one it was going for $80 used. And that's just for 1 volume. I didn't have money that weekend and it was easily gone before my pay day.

The Cardcaptor Sakura Clow and Sakura book sets (which I actually have Very Happy) Will run for about $80 used right now, and they were just discontinued recently so they'll probably go up too. New sets are still available at some places, again legit, for over $200 each. At one point I was going to sell those to a friend and I am so glad I kept them now. I had also bought the bargain bundle at TRSI for the singles, which I was pissed about at the time because they didn't have any extras, however now I'm glad because whenever I want to watch the show I don't have to open those book sets again and they can stay in great condition and keep going up in value.

The Funi volumes with artboxes that run out quickly look to be able to rise to at least twice their original worth within a couple of years from what I can tell of the ones from 3 years ago that I've been able to find in a hole somewhere, although I didn't buy any of them. Their collectible boxes rise a lot quicker, like the boxes that came with Fullmetal Alchemist seem to be worth about $130 each and sometimes more, depending on the seller and buyer, used in fair to good.

I'd like to be able to know what will be worth what when it comes out, but I guess that would make things boring. Like I would think that the Bandai Haruhi sets that are coming out now, if they do sell out as soon as they hit the street date, will probably be worth 3 times their original cost by next year and more than that if they are kept unopened. But it is always harder to guess what will be collectible before it even comes out.

And I really don't know much about anime collecting yet, I just know where to buy it and what things cost now, so I need a lot more experience so I can be a better collector. Ever since I started coming online and was able to look up exactly how much some of my comics are worth (Yes, me happy) I get worked up whenever I start collecting something else and I have to look stuff up.

EDIT: I also find it amusing, not in a funny way though, when people try and pretend stuff is more collectible than it is, like when they recently discontinued the original Ranma season 1 box set for the new thinpak version, I looked it up and people are trying to sell their used sets for $200 or more when some places, like Amazon, still have a few in stock new for $100. But I guess they get away with it if someone actually buys it. And I guess I'm gonna have to wait until everyone runs out of stock before I can look up prices to really see if mine will go up in value. Right now a used box like mine in very good condition will sell for about $35. So here's to hoping. But then again I would probably never sell those anyway.

sykosteve wrote:
I know some of the latter volumes of the Kodocha manga are going for 40+ dollars a piece >_>. And I want to complete the series so badly, but there's no way I'll fork over that much money.

If you don't mind a few volumes used, check out Barnes & Nobles. They don't have them, but their "Authorized sellers" do and the most expensive one I saw was $20. Most of them seem to go for about $10 each in 'good' to 'like new' condition. Some even have a volume or two still left new and they sell them for the original retail cost.

ETA: Actually, sykosteve, have we had this conversation before or am I going crazy again? Anime smile + sweatdrop

Edited again: Does anyone know if there is actually an anime list price guide somewhere online or for sale? I know a couple of good ones for comic books and trading cards but with anime I usually just guess from the prices I see in between different sellers. And yes, all of the prices I posted are straight from what I saw. If I saw several, I averaged out the bottom end prices from each seller/store. So I don't really know how to get valid prices for used and oop anime anywhere.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:41 am Reply with quote
.hack//sign vol 1 + box ran used/new while OOP for about $150 USD+, not sure about now though.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
I'd heard about Cowboy Bebop sets selling for lots of money, but other than that, I've only seen Battle Angel Alita dvs selling for huge amounts. Last I checked they were selling in about the $75 range for the single dvd.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I've only seen Battle Angel Alita dvs selling for huge amounts. Last I checked they were selling in about the $75 range for the single dvd.

That's not hard to believe, given that the title has been pulled from the market (not just discontinued) for years now but the manga is still going strong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Ai Yori Aoshi volume 1 + artbox has a hefty price tag if you can find it as well. The last time I saw someone selling a legit one it was going for $80 used. And that's just for 1 volume. I didn't have money that weekend and it was easily gone before my pay day.
How exactly would you tell an illegitimate one from a legitimate one? I picked up the artbox for Ai Yori Aoshi a little while back and it seems perfectly legitimate but then I didn't know there were people making bootleg artboxes. (They'd probably do better business selling custom boxes for series that don't have boxes at all.)
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
How exactly would you tell an illegitimate one from a legitimate one?
Oh, bootleggers are no great shakes at counterfeiting and most of the time don't even try, and when they do try it doesn't always looks quite right. So the artwork is different and no company logos, actually many times the bootleggers, trying too look like legitimate importers, will actually put their own name on the boxes. And most of all they don't sell volume 1 + artbox. It's always the "box set." Easy to note for a show like Ai Yori which has not had a box set release yet. I saw one guy claiming all six disks in the original artbox, so he almost had me fooled but then in small print he noted it was region free. And when I asked if that was a typo he said it wasn't and that it also wasn't 6 disks.

However when it is one of those high priced deals they do sometimes go all out, the cover of that bootleg Cowboy Bebop box I mentioned looked exactly like the perfect collection box I've seen in all the pictures. However one of the questions I sent to the seller was asking him for picks of the back and of the disks which is when he finally fessed up to it being one of the "3 disk imported editions.' 3 disks my arse! And that sold for $246! Whoever bought it could have gotten all the individual remix disks for less, and gotten much better quality.

Usually when I do buy from ebay and other markets, I am always fussy about asking the sellers for the region codes and pics of the products from different angles if available, or that they at least tell me what information is printed on the box, like copyright info, and if it is "imported." A legit seller will usually know what I'm talking about and tell me straight out. If it even sounds fishy although probably legit I just back out.

So usually it is surprisingly easy to tell the legit stuff from the bootlegs but I've also had to reference some of the bootleg FAQ sites, and whenever I see something that looks legit, I also look for any of the original info from the company or retailers that may still have the info on the site even if no longer for sale. Like TRSI has a lot of OOP anime items still listed, but you have search for it with a search engine like Google to find it, or the Encyclopedia here actually has a lot of links to those items at TRSI.

I don't know, maybe I'm too nitpicky, but I like to know that when I buy something I am actually getting what I decided to spend on. Like I'm having a few problems fishing for Martian Successor Nadesico right now. I'll probably end up getting it used form a guy I've bought from before on Amazon market to save some ebay headaches, surprisingly inexpensive too for an OOP item. I don't have a lot of practice with buying used anymore, which is another reason I'm so careful, and so I also usually end up taking the easy way out and just not buying. But I really want Nadesico, from everything I've heard it should be exactly my kind of show, so I'll probably end up getting that.

Oh, and there is a company that sells boxes for series without artboxes, but I don't have the link. Looked like pretty neat work too. Maybe someone knows it and can post it again. I'd like to see if I can order a couple of those.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Oh, and there is a company that sells boxes for series without artboxes, but I don't have the link. Looked like pretty neat work too. Maybe someone knows it and can post it again. I'd like to see if I can order a couple of those.

Were either of these sites the site in question?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
A lot of Sailor Moon DVDs are going for high prices, since they're all expired-license OOP series. Even the 14 discs of the edited dub of the first two seasons are fairly pricey--some are as low as $20, many are $30-$59, and the last two are nearly $100 Exclamation While a few of the individual S and SuperS discs are still reasonable, most of the collections are pricey, like SM R for $200 or the movies for $100
10円

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I'm having a few problems fishing for Martian Successor Nadesico right now. I'll probably end up getting it used form a guy I've bought from before on Amazon market to save some ebay headaches, surprisingly inexpensive too for an OOP item. I don't have a lot of practice with buying used anymore, which is another reason I'm so careful, and so I also usually end up taking the easy way out and just not buying. But I really want Nadesico, from everything I've heard it should be exactly my kind of show, so I'll probably end up getting that.

Martian Successor Nadesico was such a fun series in my book. I don't typically enjoy Sci-Fi. I don't typically enjoy mechs. But, I still really enjoyed Nadesico. It was just too cool for words and I was actually a little surprised when I realized it was long since out of print. Back in the day if somebody asked me for a recommendation I often started with Nadesico. These days I don't think about it that much anymore but I'm glad you brought it up. I really need to pick up the rest of the series that I'm still missing. "You get to burning..." I can already hear the opening song in my head as I type this. Count me in with the folks who complain about good series going OOP too early. I wonder how much it would cost to re-license some of these older series.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Lots of good bootleg info.
Okay, after reading all of that post, I'm sure I wasn't ripped off. Never really thought I had been but when you mentioned Ai Yori Aoshi specifically, it made me nervous.

Bootleggers are the bane of eBay. Why no one seems to be trying to clean them out is beyond me. I know it would be hard but you'd think someone at eBay would be just a little concerned about facilitiating so much piracy considering all the crackdowns that are starting to happen lately.

undeadben wrote:
If the company you were talking about was the one linked to by NGE1113, they've stopped taking requests so if the show you want a box for isn't on their list, you're screwed. I E-mailed them a while back about that issue and that's basically what they told me.

Sucks too considering how great those boxes they've made look and how much money I would have been sending their way.
Jamesleedx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Other out of print anime with artboxes that command a high price include the Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 1 DVD with the tin artbox and the first soundtrack, which tends to sell for $150-$200 in new condition. Ironically, the second and third Fullmetal alchemist boxes don't even sell for MSRP. Another high ticket item is the Trinity Blood Limited edition Vol. 1 DVD with the Art box, which tends to sell for $90-$120 in new condition on Ebay.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Jamesleedx wrote:
Another high ticket item is the Trinity Blood Limited edition Vol. 1 DVD with the Art box, which tends to sell for $90-$120 in new condition on Ebay.

I'll never understand why Trinity Blood is so expensive. Sure, it's a pretty artbox (I have it myself) but the show is decent at best and even the nice box isn't worth $100. Plus, if you buy the artbox you'll need to buy the other LE DVDs since the regular editions don't fit in the box. I couldn't imagine paying so much just for a box with pretty pictures and a DVD with video quality issues. I guess there must be some hardcore Trinity Blood fans (or just hardcore collectors) out there who are willing to pay these prices.

I've also noticed that the volume 2 Trinity Blood LE is usually high-priced as well. Some of the new ones I've seen run $40-$60. Used it goes for about $20.

As for other expensive OOP releases, I've noticed the Gundam movie trilogy box set (the Collectors Box one) can be quite expensive to buy. The movies aren't OOP but they're now packaging it in a brick instead of the pretty box. I've seen people asking $75-$150 at a few mecha-related forums and someone on Amazon wants $199.99 for a used one.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Bootleggers are the bane of eBay. Why no one seems to be trying to clean them out is beyond me. I know it would be hard but you'd think someone at eBay would be just a little concerned about facilitiating so much piracy considering all the crackdowns that are starting to happen lately.
Ebay doesn't care, they get plenty of revenue from commissions or whatever from these bootleg sellers, so they'll let them stay as long as they can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2