• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incest in Anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
I thought of this from watching Shakugan no Shana. Those twins just creep me out.

The cousin love-love thing? That's old news - I get that since I'm pretty sure they allow marriage between cousins in Japan, but these days I've been seeing a lot of series that have couples who are brother and sister, and worse. I also noticed that most of them are twins.

Like the Hitachiin brothers from Ouran. Ok, we're not sure about that, but there was still a premise of love between them, right?

Then like I mentioned earlier, the twins from Shakugan no Shana. I think their names were Sorath and Tiriel. They were really going at it too, hugging and kissing in public. Totally creepy and disgusting.

And I even saw this one title, I think it was about "I am in love with my sister." I believe it was a story between twins falling in love with each other too, I haven't watched it yet, but the synopsis was enough to make me shout out "incest!"

Somehow I got the feeling that these three are not the only titles that have premises of incestuous relationships. So why are topics like this slowly making their way into anime? It's not legal in Japan to marry your siblings, is it? The cousin thing was bad enough, now it's between siblings, twins at that!

Oh and the "worse" I referred to in the beginning of this post was the incest in He is my Master. Izumi and Mitsuki's father were into them, and I think Izumi mentioned something about him groping them. I also noticed how aroused he would get seeing them in those maid outfits. Seriously, what is going on?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
Don't people usually start this topic because of Koi Kaze? I thought it was like an unwritten rule that you can't start the incest topic without mentioning it. Oh well, I mentioned it now so carry on.

Oh and the topic I linked to also has some good posts on the subject.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
You know what I find really interesting, is that people are saying the same stuff about incest that they used to say about homosexuality.
If you think about it, when homosexuality first started making its way into mainstream culture, people said the same things (and alot are still saying them)

Why is it wrong for twins/siblings/relatives to have that kind of relationship?
Its wrong. Its gross. Eww. Just the thought. Its unethical.

I find it really amusing the double standard that most people have when it comes to this stuff. (Of course, I dont know your stance on homosexuality)

Im not saying incest is wrong or right, but Im just saying you should look at it in more perspective. 10 or so years ago people said the same thing your saying about incest, about homosexuality, and look now. Screaming yaoi fangirls all over the place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
You know what I find really interesting, is that people are saying the same stuff about incest that they used to say about homosexuality.
If you think about it, when homosexuality first started making its way into mainstream culture, people said the same things (and alot are still saying them)

I find it really amusing the double standard that most people have when it comes to this stuff. (Of course, I don't know your stance on homosexuality)

Im not saying incest is wrong or right, but Im just saying you should look at it in more perspective. 10 or so years ago people said the same thing your saying about incest, about homosexuality, and look now. Screaming yaoi fangirls all over the place.

Well, I think there's a definite difference between homosexuality and incestuous relationships, as the former bears no real consequences toward anyone outside the sexual relationship, where the latter can lead to all sorts of problems should a child result from the relationship. You cannot "make" a child in a homosexual relationship, and though you can adopt one, the relationship is normal aside from the fact that there are two of the same sex as parents.

A few problems arise from the latter situation, and one of those still affects those with homosexual partners or parents today. Many people are stupid, mean, and frightfully determined to strip people of their rights for "justice" or "salvation." Homosexual relationships are obviously not acceptable to many people in the United States even after their existence for thousands of years, and we often see people crusading against the distribution of rights to these people, sometimes violently at least in words. Children are even worse a lot of times, and traumatic insults are a big issue there as well. Incestuous relationships would be no better, and they would be a lot easier to persecute as there is a smaller group of outspoken believers in this philosophy.

Another big problem to worry about is the psychological implications of an incestuous relationship, as age differences can make things quite inappropriate within these relationships, and the altered atmosphere can put children of these relationships in more danger, depending on the feelings of each parent. There is a different sort of bond especially in close-family incestuous relationships, and this sort of bond can start a bit earlier than it should or even later and form more restrictive chains of bondage. Even disregarding the possibilities of bondage, incestuous relationships could have a serious impact on the mind of the child, setting aside the possible biological impacts on the child's development (I can't speak directly for that part, as I'm not a genetic engineer/biologist). Sexual feelings would likely be confused heavily upon realization, and the child may face serious psychological issues as a result. This confusion may also lead to a second generation incestuous relationship between offspring of an initial incestuous relationship, and though first generation genetic defects may not be likely, a chain of incest may not be the best idea without regulation (again, I am not a biologist, so... Correct me if you're certain I'm wrong). This sort of "chain" would probably be more likely in the lower echelons of societal wealth, as well, and issues of defects and proper examination/care would probably be beyond the means of many of these people. Many issues here that would not appear nearly as much with homosexual relationships.

This doesn't mean that it's good to ban incestuous relationships or chastise those who partake universally and unconditionally, as I'm all for free relationships and expanded rights to the less fortunate of us. However, we have to acknowledge the risks, and though it might not have to be "creepy and disgusting," it can be, and the legal restrictions on sex especially are there for a reason.

As for anime... That falls more often into the relationship side (outside hentai), so I personally would have no problem with it. You're entitled to your own opinion, but I think it's quite interesting, actually. As for the reason why it's there, incestuous relationships are, as I said, interesting, and for more elaborate discussions see the above links and Google "forbidden love." It's been in literature for a while now. Laws have only conditional involvement in fiction, anyway.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
Thats an interesting point. Actually I think this sort of "slipery slope" is the arguement you often see against homosexuality.

One difference between the two however, Is that from a purely scientific perspective Incest is bad as it causes inbreeding. Mephistopoles raises some interesting points. They would probably apply more to incest between immediate family and less so to more distant relations.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A few problems arise from the latter situation, and one of those still affects those with homosexual partners or parents today. Many people are stupid, mean, and frightfully determined to strip people of their rights for "justice" or "salvation." Homosexual relationships are obviously not acceptable to many people in the United States even after their existence for thousands of years, and we often see people crusading against the distribution of rights to these people, sometimes violently at least in words. Children are even worse a lot of times, and traumatic insults are a big issue there as well. Incestuous relationships would be no better, and they would be a lot easier to persecute as there is a smaller group of outspoken believers in this philosophy.

If I am to understand that segment of your post correctly, you are stating that the discrimination against incest would look pretty much the same as the discrimination against homosexuality? That is an odd thing to say, as it seems to be counter to the rest of your post. (It was my point, actually..)

And obviously an incest relationship where a younge child is being taken advantage of is wrong, but thats looking at incest when acompanied with sexual abuse and rape. I would say an older individual taken advantage of a younger individual who werent related at all would be just as wrong.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:

I find it really amusing the double standard that most people have when it comes to this stuff. (Of course, I don't know your stance on homosexuality)

That's an interesting point comparing the public opinion of incest with homosexuality. I tend to think gay marriages will come first, but then again we live (here in America) in a very Christian oriented nation. I wonder if the masses would approve of incestual marriages first or homosexual. To take your point further I have a scenario. You people tell me what you think. Suppose you met this guy/girl and you guys fall in love. You've been together a year or two now and for whatever reason it comes out you're related. You're actually cousins, key banjo music now. Do you continue or do you break up? You fell in love as strangers but now this perceived moral dilemma has arisen. What do you do?
10円

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:05 am Reply with quote
What's this about gay incest now? I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's sick of that stuff. Sometimes it seems like every series has some sort of gay incest scene now. Gay guys have been cramping my style ever since middle school and I'm really starting to get tired of it here in my old age.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:10 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Quote:
(snip)

If I am to understand that segment of your post correctly, you are stating that the discrimination against incest would look pretty much the same as the discrimination against homosexuality?

Just in case that Mephistophilus argue with having offspring or not (trust me, the technology will be available soon), let's use other examples instead: marriages between different race, social status, caste, or even nationality. I never forget the scene when Bruce Lee tried to get the approval of marriage from Vivian Emery (Linda's mother) in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

Quote:
MOTHER: Ah, but what will they be? They won't be white, and they won't be oriental. They'll be some kind of half-breed, and they won't be accepted by either side.

BRUCE: They'll be American. Linda's American, I'm American.

MOTHER: You're an American citizen, you're not really an American.

(Complete dialog can be found here)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
arkady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quote
Incest doesn't scare me in any way. But I do find it interesting that there's so much of it in anime. Even when it's not explicit, there are often undertones of it. It makes me wonder how incest is perceived in Japan.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
Well homosexuality's more widespread (Oh and Eruanna, I don't mind homosexuality but it's not for me Laughing ), and I don't think incestuous relationships will be as popular any day soon. Like some of you have cited, children that result from incest end up having diseases, and from studying law, I learned that they can also end up extremely dumb (that's actually the term that's in my book). It's anime world anyway, and anything's possible in anime world, I guess.

and Mephistophilus, you're right. From a literature point of view, it may seem interesting. Forbidden love is a popular theme, but historically, all cases of forbidden love are mostly about love between children of feuding families, or relationships between people of different status (race, financial background, etc). So far I've only heard of one book about the forbidden love of twins, can't remember the title though. I didn't read it, because it's not my thing. I'm sure other people would think the same.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Sometimes it seems like every series has some sort of gay incest scene now.

arklady wrote:
I do find it interesting that there's so much of it in anime. Even when it's not explicit, there are often undertones of it.

Seriously, to hear this, one would think it's in every other show you see...
I have seen a lot of anime and I can only name a handful perhaps that contain insest, real or implied. Gay incest even less...what are you watching 10yen?
I guess if you are thinking hentai that may be different, however I don't think that is what you are talking about. Let's not make this seem like a more prevelant plot devise that it is. Even in the other threads that have talked about this, there aren't an abundance of animes listed with incest in them.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
What about this scenario.

Brother and Sister find that they have developed a strong sexual attraction to one another and find that they actually love one another. Being relatively well informed normally educated people they both think about the consequences of there relationship, other family members find out and offer their own viewpoints (from vehemently against it to perhaps even supportive). The couple consider this and consider there relationship, they weigh up the potential for harm to themselves and their family and people around them. As a couple they decide that they still want to pursue this relationship to its eventual end and enter into an incestuous relationship.

Who is against this?

I for one am not, as long as the relationship that is being entered into is considered by both parties, thinking about the many factors and the potential consequences of what they do then the decision they make as a couple (or more perhaps?) should be respected.

Now incest has many potential other pitfalls. I am against parent and child incest as if the parent has any kind of incestuous feeling towards their child then they have the potential to groom their child to the relationship, whether consciously or not.

I don't think genetics should matter in this case anymore. Incest increases the chance of an already present genetic defect being passed on, there is no greater chance of developing a new genetic illness through incest than any other type of sexual relationship (excepting homo-...obviously).

So as far as genetics is concerned:-
greater chance of passing on a genetic illness
no greater chance of making a new one

If we are willing to let people with genetic illnesses have children then how can we stop incestuous relationships doing the same if our argument is on the grounds of genetics?
10円

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
10円 wrote:
Sometimes it seems like every series has some sort of gay incest scene now.
Gay incest even less...what are you watching 10yen?

That was nothing but pure sarcasm on my part. Twisted Evil

As it is, I can't think of a single series I've ever seen that contained any gay incest, but maybe I just overlooked it.

Uh-oh, here comes incest4me. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3