• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mythbusters to tackle Ninja Myths, use of Naruto Clips?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Someone spammed the Discovery Forums (which have been deleted) that the Mythbusters used Naruto Clips in their upcoming "Ninja Myths" episode tonight. The clip was when he was at the bathhouse and was taught how to "walk on water" and apparently were used in the "Walking on Water" part of the program.

I dunno if it's true or not, but the thought of a buncha Narutards zerg rushing the Discovery Forums after this episode is kinda frightening.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Well I just watched it and I didn't see any Naruto. That would be cool though if they did and I just missed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Well I just watched it and I didn't see any Naruto. That would be cool though if they did and I just missed it.

I figured that spammer was just spazzing. Still, i'm just wondering how the Narutards and "otjerkin" will react to the episode.

"No, you must have Chakra to walk on water!!"
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:27 am Reply with quote
They did Ninja Myths? It already aired I guess and I missed it. I usually try to watch that show, and I would have liked to see that segment. I hope I can catch it re-run someday than, for whoever saw it, was it good?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:12 am Reply with quote
Totally busted, they attempted to walk on water, stop a sword by catching it with your hand. And finally catching an arrow that's been shot at you, Ninja yes......but there wasn't any Naruto in the episode.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I cant really see why they would use naruto clips. The show is about taking stuff and asking "could that really possible" When you show clips from a "cartoon" as most people would call it, it hurts the credibility of wether it might pe plausible.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
theyll probably never do something related to this again, due to the amount of narutards on the discovery channel forums.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
theyll probably never do something related to this again, due to the amount of narutards on the discovery channel forums.

Most of the complaints are actually directed to the Catching the Arrow Myth. Something that wasn't touched upon in the manga or anime IIRC. I'd figure that the Walking on water Myth would be tied into Naruto somehow, but....
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
1, the walking water thing already happened in naruto. 2, when they did the water bottle jet pack myth, they measured the psi in the water jugs and the soda bottles. they went for the one with the most psi. bad idea, because theres less space in the soda bottles, thus less air and more compression. theres more air space in the water jugs, so there doesnt have to be as much psi as in a smaller container. volume of space wasnt added into the equation. they got a crapload more lift, but they focused on compression. i should send that one in.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Most of the complaints are actually directed to the Catching the Arrow Myth. Something that wasn't touched upon in the manga or anime IIRC. I'd figure that the Walking on water Myth would be tied into Naruto somehow, but....

Wasn't there a time when somebody caught a kunai, I think with another kunai? That's fairly similar.
10円

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The vast majority of "myths" they attempt to bust seem so completely implausible and/or irrelevant to begin with that I never bother to watch the end result.
riprock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I actually visited a ninjutsu school and watched the instructor use both bare palms to catch a sword blade. I brought along another sober observer.

So either they can do it, or they're so good at ninja trickery that they can fool two observers.

I need to get my Japanese up to snuff so that I can write to Masaaki Hatsumi.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Well to me, all "myths" that involve one person doing something really hard to do (not impssoible like smashing their head in and living to put it back together) but things LIKE catching a sword someone is swinging, or an arrow. That all depends on the person, they could have trained in techniques for years that helped them catch an arrow. We just don't know it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Well to me, all "myths" that involve one person doing something really hard to do (not impssoible like smashing their head in and living to put it back together) but things LIKE catching a sword someone is swinging, or an arrow. That all depends on the person, they could have trained in techniques for years that helped them catch an arrow. We just don't know it.

It's completely busted catching an arrow; considering that you have to be closing your hand before the other person has even released the bow. The only possible way for the MB to catch the arrow was to make so that the hands closed three times as fast as the ninja master. As for sword catching, I doubt that anyone was catching a blade. More then anything it was probably that claw on the hand, and basically people thought that they were catching the blade. We all saw how the blade was slicing through the hands even when it was basically perfectly timed to catch the blade.
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

It's completely busted catching an arrow; considering that you have to be closing your hand before the other person has even released the bow. The only possible way for the MB to catch the arrow was to make so that the hands closed three times as fast as the ninja master. As for sword catching, I doubt that anyone was catching a blade. More then anything it was probably that claw on the hand, and basically people thought that they were catching the blade. We all saw how the blade was slicing through the hands even when it was basically perfectly timed to catch the blade.

There was a guy on Ripley's believe it or not who caught an arrow...if he could I don't think it would be to far fetched to think a few through out the course of history of the Ninja could.

I don't know about the blade catching...maybe if the person was swinging slow enough. Laughing I have to agree it was probably the claw on their hands or some sort of glove they were wearing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2