• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mainstream anime vs.Lesser-known titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Since a very interesting debate started in the other thread. I decided to start another thread. I think that mainstream anime sensible to invest than lesser known titles. Because,you do not know what you are getting and DVDs is a huge investment if you do not catch on sale. If that anime sucks that I paid a DVD for I would be pissed. If just too big of a investment to go blindly in. If a friend lent me a lesser know title and if I like if. I would certainly invest in it. It kind of like the name brand debate when you know quality is there. Sometimes,that do not happen but its better to have expectation that its going to be good than not knowing.
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
In a way I kind of get what you're saying, but in another way I don't.. weird..

Are you saying that you prefer main stream anime over lesser known ones because it is more or less implied that if it's main stream then it's acceptable and/or relatively worthwhile, so if you buy a DVD of the said anime, it would be considered a good investment and chances are you get your money's worth..

is that it? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I think that mainstream anime sensible to invest than lesser known titles.

Whoa. Did you think that all by yourself? Laughing Razz

Of course - it's better to invest on something that everyone sees. There's this thing called Ratings. The higher the ratings -- the greater the viewer-ship, and thus more advertising and merchandise revenue.

$$,$$$,$$$
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
well if you buy a crappy anime just trade it in at gampstop. i take my crap anime and get a xbox title or something with the credit. or in some case more anime since the one around my way still sells dvds. sometimes on the cheap like 5 bucks.

anyway does it matter wether its mainstream or not. just watch whatever genre you like most no matter the popularity and youll rarely ever get disappointed.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I think that mainstream anime sensible to invest than lesser known titles. Because,you do not know what you are getting and DVDs is a huge investment if you do not catch on sale. If that anime sucks that I paid a DVD for I would be pissed. If just too big of a investment to go blindly in.

Let me spell it out for you: R-E-N-T. Other than catching anime on the airwaves when possible, renting is the best way to go in my opinion (especially with a lesser known titles), and I'm sure many people here on ANN agree. With so many anime titles out there, it would be stupid to go out and blindly buy everything. Like you said, it would suck to buy something on a whim and then end up not liking it. If you rent (or even borrow) something, it's much less of a risk because you don't have to pay nearly as much money. If you rent something and don't like it, well, then you're not stuck with the regret of wasting money on it. If you rent it and like it, then buy it if you wish. Pretty straightforward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pyrex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

Let me spell it out for you: R-E-N-T. Other than catching anime on the airwaves when possible, renting is the best way to go in my opinion (especially with a lesser known titles), and I'm sure many people here on ANN agree. With so many anime titles out there, it would be stupid to go out and blindly buy everything. Like you said, it would suck to buy something on a whim and then end up not liking it. If you rent (or even borrow) something, it's much less of a risk because you don't have to pay nearly as much money. If you rent something and don't like it, well, then you're not stuck with the regret of wasting money on it. If you rent it and like it, then buy it if you wish. Pretty straightforward.

Very smart. To me, Netflix is a god send. I've been averaging like 5 or 6 new titles a month and it helps me choose what and what not to buy. Overall, it's worth the $17 bucks a month I pay, I get to watch a series even if it's mediocre and if it's horrible I just stop and move to the next one. Doesn't make much sense to throw money away on something that you know you'd never watch again right?
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I think that mainstream anime sensible to invest than lesser known titles.

Whoa. Did you think that all by yourself? Laughing Razz

Of course - it's better to invest on something that everyone sees. There's this thing called Ratings. The higher the ratings -- the greater the viewer-ship, and thus more advertising and merchandise revenue.

$$,$$$,$$$

Um, I think nf09812 was referring to investing in it as in "paying your own money for a copy of it," not from the perspective of the company releasing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Um,I not that big of a renting fan because I think they charge you more than market value if the DVDs get broke. Also,since I got a lot of friends who bring their kids over. And sometimes they break mine DVDs,even though mine friends away pay me back if it get broke. I rather own than rent unless it something like Comcast On Demand.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
pyrex wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

Very smart. To me, Netflix is a god send. I've been averaging like 5 or 6 new titles a month and it helps me choose what and what not to buy. Overall, it's worth the $17 bucks a month I pay, I get to watch a series even if it's mediocre and if it's horrible I just stop and move to the next one. Doesn't make much sense to throw money away on something that you know you'd never watch again right?

Oh yes. I use Netflix also, and it's very worth the money I pay. They've been getting better when it comes to anime also, which is great. If I see a title that interests me, I pop it into my Netflix queue and I'll get to it eventually. No harm in trying a series for so cheap when you can easily replace it with another if you don't like it. I also use Netflix a lot to watch a series that is considered bad by many just for the sake of watching it. Who knows, I just might love it.

EDIT:

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Um,I not that big of a renting fan because I think they charge you more than market if the DVDs get broke. Also,since I got a lot of friends who bring their kids over. And sometimes they break mine DVDs,even though mine friends away pay me back if it get broke. I rather own than rent unless it something like Comcast On Demand.

That may be true about them charging you (I've never experienced that), but I'd still recommend renting because it gives you the option of trying a series without having to pay full price for it. You're not going to get much of anywhere only buying things you know you like or have already seen. What's the fun in that? Besides, if you're careful the DVDs won't get broken anyway. Not to say they won't arrive broken, but at least they won't be broken while in your possession.

Last edited by Jedi General on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pyrex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Um,I not that big of a renting fan because I think they charge you more than market if the DVDs get broke. Also,since I got a lot of friends who bring their kids over. And sometimes they break mine DVDs,even though mine friends away pay me back if it get broke. I rather own than rent unless it something like Comcast On Demand.

I don't think thats accurate. I've had Netflix for like a year, and had a couple of DVDs arrive cracked. And I've yet to be charged for one.

I'm not trying to sell you on renting, but I'm postive Comcast on Demand is not going to carry as many(if any anime titles) as compared to Netflix or Blockbuster.

Just my 2 coppers.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how 'mainstream' titles are a 'safer' investment. The popular mainstream titles tend to be really long (DBZ, Naruto, Inu Yasha, etc.) which means they are big investments. And just because they are popular doesn't mean its safe to say I'll like it. Inu Yasha was huge, but I couldn't make it past episode 30.

Whether it becomes 'mainstream' or remains 'lesser known' I see a lot of the shows I purchase fansubbed before hand and I can usually get a good idea that I'll like a show for those that I don't see before hand, so its not a very high financial risk for me either way.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Pyrex,that the problem with a shipper or Netflick. So,they should not charge for some else besides your self. But what if you break it accidently and I think they bill you a subcharge for its getting broke. I not should about this so can someone please clarify this matter for me?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't rent because my anime watching fluctuates wildly, so sometimes I go for months without watching any because I'm busy doing something else (video games).

I use resources (ANN, AoDVD, conventions) to decide what to buy (this is how I found Fruits Basket, Basilisk, Bleach). Sometimes I take a chance on lesser known titles and it turns out to be one of my favorite series (Princess Tutu). If I really end up with something I don't like, I can always resell it. But so far, I've ended up with very few titles I've disliked so much I want to get rid of them.

And you have to support the lesser known titles, because otherwise gems like Princess Tutu end up never being licensed, and we'll end up with a bunch of Bleach/Naruto clones (which, don't get me wrong, I enjoy both anime, but I'm always afraid of companies going for the "sure thing" rather than something that's critically good, but little word is out on).
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Whether it becomes 'mainstream' or remains 'lesser known' I see a lot of the shows I purchase fansubbed before hand and I can usually get a good idea that I'll like a show for those that I don't see before hand, so its not a very high financial risk for me either way.

That's how it is for me as well. The shows that I watch via fansubs are the ones I end up buying so I already know if I like the show. If something is released that I didn't see fansubs of then I read reviews and talk to others who share my interests to find out if it's something I'd like. Of course going off reviews and recommendations can cause you to make some pretty bad buys too. I guess it's something of a gamble.

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
If that anime sucks that I paid a DVD for I would be pissed.

Stop reminding me of CPM's "Mecha Masters" collection... ugh.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
To me at least, I don't think Mainstream anime are any better or that much more worth your time than lesser known titles. "Mainstream" is actually a pretty relative term...what's popular and considered mainstream in America vs. the rest of the world differs greatly. Take Saint Seiya for instance...wasn't popular here in America but it's huge in the Spanish speaking countries. It's considered lesser known here but, more mainstream in say, Mexico, Brazil or Spain. What I'm trying to say really is that don't worry about what's mainstream or what's not. It doesn't mean the show will appeal to you. Don't just buy into something because it's popular or considered mainstream. I walk in to my local Best Buy or Suncoast and cruise until I see something good unless I'm on a mission to find something specifically. There are tons and tons of great anime out there that aren't considered mainstream. Anything older than 1995 is generally not considered mainstream and there were hundreds of great titles made before then. It all boils down to personal taste, and even then try new things. If you only stick with what you know, then that makes for pretty boring viewing. If you see something that catches your eye but, don't want to take a chance- read a review online or in a magazine or just ask a friend. Hope I haven't rambled on too much. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2