• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eden in Danger of Cancellation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
This is why I hate not knowing Japanese. Frack.

naniwa wrote:
I am sure Jarred will chime in about this with more eloquence but I got some disturbing news from Dark Horse today...

Endo Hiroki's EDEN, quite possibly the best title of 2007 (if it isn't then Endo's Tanpenshu might be then), is on the verge. Sadly not becauses it taking the world by storm as it should, but the title is not seeing the numbers it should get. And in this day and age that is not something any manga fan, EDEN fan or not, wants to hear.

I have never heard a comment like that made at a panel before, so for a fan like myself it really sent a message as to how much DH loves that title and how much it needs help, as well. I never want to see a title discontinued or put on hiatus and generally when they do suffer such fate fans of the series are often the last to know. This time though DH made those at AX aware and the ball is now in the fans' court.

Do yourself a favor... If you are at a bookstore pick up a copy EDEN. You will not go wrong by supporting this title. I can honestly guarantee that.

It's sad, because Eden is one of the better titles being published in English. I know myself and others have bought all seven volumes released so far, as well as the two Tanpenshu collections by Endo, and it's really, really disappointing to see that Eden isn't doing that well, even by a "hard-sell, niche" title.

If you want a mature, thoughtful, well-written manga and aren't against hyper-violence and sex in the story, then please, please, please support Eden by buying it. Tell all of your friends on and offline about it. Don't let the market only thrive on the usual shounen and shoujo.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
The thing about Eden is, it looks good, but how can I be sure?

The books are shrinkwrapped, and the few pages that you can preview on Dark Horse don't provide much hint of what's going on. I agree it's sad that a manga that seems popular might be cancelled, but it's all these overprotective parents' fault.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I'd like to help you guys, but it's a lot more easy to support my part of the industry (France and French Canada) than reducing my numbers of allowed Chapters' command per month (and I already buy a whole lot of books without including manga) by buying an edition that might be canceled. I do feel a bit guilty seeing North American version of some manga facing cancellation, especially since most of them seems to be mature title that interest me, but I am stuck between two part of the industry and a choose the one that is most of the time... better.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I bought the first volume and didn't follow up on any more for...well, no reason at all really. I'll try to snag Vol. 2 at the store tomorrow and continue following the title, as it is quite good.

No one at that panel asked about the future of Exaxxion by any chance, did they?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Manji13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I have been thinking about picking up some of these, however, they do not carry them at my local Borders. I mean, if I get some off of the internet will there even be any notifications to Dark Horse that a volume (or more) of Eden has been sold? I mean, I would think that a lot, maybe even a third of people buy manga off the internet due to the cheaper prices and the fact that you never have to leave your house. If sales from smaller websites, such as yahoo stores, aren't being reported it could have a big impact on their sales numbers. Don't you think?
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Manji13 wrote:
I have been thinking about picking up some of these, however, they do not carry them at my local Borders. I mean, if I get some off of the internet will there even be any notifications to Dark Horse that a volume (or more) of Eden has been sold? I mean, I would think that a lot, maybe even a third of people buy manga off the internet due to the cheaper prices and the fact that you never have to leave your house. If sales from smaller websites, such as yahoo stores, aren't being reported it could have a big impact on their sales numbers. Don't you think?

It's not so much that sales are "reported," it's that if a store has a volume of Eden sitting on their shelf and someone buys it, then that store orders another copy, and Dark Horse has to send another one out. This happens regardless of whether you buy it online or through a brick & mortar store....Dark Horse's (or their distributor's) supply shrinks and they know they're selling copies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
I bought the first volume and didn't follow up on any more for...well, no reason at all really. I'll try to snag Vol. 2 at the store tomorrow and continue following the title, as it is quite good.

No one at that panel asked about the future of Exaxxion by any chance, did they?

Do you enjoy that series?... I couldn't really get into it, it felt too generic to me.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I read about this on AoD the other day and it makes me very sad. I really hope this is just a rumor or that things pick up, because I'd hate to never finish the series.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this turns well since Eden is probably my favourite series right now; along with Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal. Unfortunately I can't do much to help since I've already bought all 7 volumes as well as both volumes of Tanpenshu and there isn't much that would stop me from getting volume 8 of Eden when it's released. I guess I'll send a letter to Darkhorse or something and beg them not to cancel.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
This manga has been on my want to read and buy list for awhile, but the only thing that kept me from investing were dark horse prices. I usually only buy Dark Horse comics when I get a coupon or something, but it looks like I'll be buying this one soon because I don't want it to be canceled and not get the chance to read it altogether!

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to buy it now!
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
This manga has been on my want to read and buy list for awhile, but the only thing that kept me from investing were dark horse prices. I usually only buy Dark Horse comics when I get a coupon or something, but it looks like I'll be buying this one soon because I don't want it to be canceled and not get the chance to read it altogether!

Right Stuf has virtually all of their Dark Horse manga at 25% off at all times. Right now, every volume of Eden is only $9.71. I actually forgot about this myself until just now...I think I'll make an order. Smile

smoochy wrote:
Do you enjoy that series?... I couldn't really get into it, it felt too generic to me.

It's not an absolute favorite or anything, but I do enjoy it. I'll buy virtually anything from Kenichi Sonoda, just because I love his art so much.
sinemente

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, I love Eden. But it is NEVER in the store. And Dark Horse is CONSTANTLY pushing back the release dates. I still don't have volume seven because my local bookstore cannot order it. I could go on Amazon or Rightstuf, but I, like most of the under-eighteen manga market, do not have a credit card.

I just can't get my hands on copies of Dark Horse manga, including Eden, usually until a few months after their release. THAT'S my problem with it. And the shaky release schedule might have something to do with its failure to sell properly.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
but it's all these overprotective parents' fault.

Oh please Rolling Eyes

I don't know much about Eden, but considering the OP mentions "hyper-violence and sex," I think the shrink wrap is completely justified. And I'm sure it's not that hard to find something online that will tell you what the basic plot and stuff is, so don't use a bit of plastic as an excuse when it's just laziness.
Truered

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
This is why I like this site. No sooner then I think I can't choose an anime series I want to collect up pops an interesting manga series I'm certain I may have overlooked before. Sounds like quite an interesting story, and different to the Naruto/Bleach I'm currently collecting.

Damn I guess this gives me a reason to make another 'Otaku-related' online purchase sooner rather then later. Such a shame Twisted Evil Going to do my newly adapted habit of picking up the first three volumes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
If DH wants to sell titles like EDEN, they have to acknowledge the need for competitive pricing. They can do it for older titles like Astro Boy and LW&C.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2