• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
On the issue of Glomping...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10円

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Hearing "glomping" described as anything from an impromptu hug to sexual assault has muddied the water a bit for me and I would like some of the folks who have witnessed this sort of thing to help clarify what's really going on.

What exactly *is* "glomping?"

Where did glomping come from?

When did glomping become a common event?

Who is getting glomped and who is doing the glomping?

What is the motivation of the person committing the glomp?

Why don't the targets of the glomp simply push the glomper away?
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Hearing "glomping" described as anything from an impromptu hug to sexual assault has muddied the water a bit for me and I would like some of the folks who have witnessed this sort of thing to help clarify what's really going on.

What exactly *is* "glomping?"

A glomp is basically when you run up behind someone and tacklehug them.

10円 wrote:

Where did glomping come from?

No idea. Presumably friends jumping on each other, and then they figured it was apropriate to do it to perfect strangers.

10円 wrote:

When did glomping become a common event?

When fangirls began congregating in large places.

10円 wrote:

Who is getting glomped and who is doing the glomping?

Mostly teenaged girls, although I've heard of older women or even guys doing it. They glomp people cosplaying characters they like, yaoi couples, people with shirts that say 'glomp me', or just anyone they feel like.

10円 wrote:

What is the motivation of the person committing the glomp?

To spread the love, I guess. Or be annoying.

10円 wrote:

Why don't the targets of the glomp simply push the glomper away?

Usually they do. But having someone you don't know jump on you is still annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
What I'd like to know if there have been actual cases of people being injured because of glomping?

I know it's kind of sick to think this but since glomping usually involves the element of surprise and people coming in contact with each other with potentially various protrusions (from the costumes) getting in the way you would think that glomping is actually quite dangerous.

There are many other factors involved in injury resulting from glomping, like the glompee getting pissed off and punching the glomper in the face.

Or what if the glompee already has an injury and the impact of the glomp makes it worse?

I think there are various emotional injuries that can also result from glomping. Sad
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Like,I said in the Hey,Answerman thread if you get hurt by glomping you are not doing your gene pool a favor. Cmon,its you got a problem with just do not go cons. This is not going to stop and this just save your self the trouble and not go.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Glomping isn't really an issue in Denmark, yet -- perhaps because cons here are stil fairly small and comparatively quiet affairs. Even so, I'm sure it will come -- Danish fans are eager to copy U.S. fandom... *sigh* ... for better or worse.

My normal response to someone I don't know suddenly tackling me would be potentially violent, depending on the amount of surprise involved. With decades of martial arts training (although I am still a student), this would normally just mean sweeping them to the floor, more or less gently. The potential for injury shouldn't be ignored, though -- and any injury would be on their own head, for doing something so foolish as to attack a stranger.

But I would say that, yes, if I went to a con, I'd mentally prepare myself not to overreact if suddenly assaulted in this way, to avoid any unfortunate accidents. Which is more or less what one should do anyway, glomping or no glomping, because cons are full of so many different kinds of excessive behaviour.

As foolish as it is, it is at heart an innocent act, and it would be sad if someone got hurt.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah,its just something that goes with the cos-playing. But really if you are cos-playing as another character,you are asking to be glomp. Also,its should be something expected by now if you go to con.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I think its reeaally rude to glomp some random stranger. Between friends is okay, but it depends on the person. My best friend has an aversion to touching, so I dont glomp her. Back when I was like.... 12, and thought glomping was the coolest thing ever! I glomped her, and she hated it, and I have since learned that it isnt nice to glomp people who dont like it.
But I have other friends who it only seems natural to glomp, since they are such huggy people.
But I would never glomp a stranger.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Yeah,its just something that goes with the cos-playing. But really if you are cos-playing as another character,you are asking to be glomp. Also,its should be something expected by now if you go to con.

You really aren't getting it are you. This entire situation was addressed in the Answerman Rant Rant Rant column.

Several people, including myself, have told you in several different ways why glomping people is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

How old are you? Are you that young and ignorant that you are unable to comprehend why someone would not want a complete stranger running up and jumping on them. How would you like it? Would you like have YOUR costume that you hand-made by yourself with no outside help, something that took you several days, weeks or even months of hard work to produce, just to have it ruined by some idiot? Would that be okay with you?

What if you (but since you're probably male) your mother, wife, girlfriend or sister was pregnant and some idiot jumped on her, knocking her to the ground? Is that okay with you as well?

What if you'd been in a car accident the week before and had broken ribs but you still came to the convention and someone glomped you, knocking you to the floor. Is that okay with you?

Being glomped on is NOT something you should expect when going to a convention!

You, sir, are an idiot!
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Meow, is glomping really this huge of an issue at cons? I am going to go to my very first con ever in a few months, and Im cosplaying and everything, its going to be a first time experiance for me... should I really be worried about this sort of thing? O_O
Good thing Im not going to be cosplaying as a very well known character >_>
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne... You left me shocked with that reply. I SALUTE YOU!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
riprock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:

I haven't been to a lot of cons, but I have been to three that I can recall.

I didn't see a whole lot of glomping between strangers. I did see people praising each others' costumes from a polite distance. Of course, this was in Texas, where stranger-glomping would probably have been viewed as assault, particularly if the glomper were male.

Most societies would probably be more lenient about females glomping.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I anxiously await the headline that says "This person was found dead last night. Witnesses say the death was the result of a drive-by glomping commited by two fifteen year old girls dressed as Kagome and Sesshomaru."
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I anxiously await the headline that says "This person was found dead last night. Witnesses say the death was the result of a drive-by glomping commited by two fifteen year old girls dressed as Kagome and Sesshomaru."

You have no idea how much that made me laugh. Anime hyper
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
So long as it isn't done in a violent fashion, I would not particularly mind getting glomped by a stranger. I do realize though, that because of sexual harassment issues, it would be particularly inappropriate for a male to glomp a female he does not know. I would personally not glomp anyone I do not know.

The other two issues I see are physical dangers and delicate costumes.
It would be unfortunate if someone was glomped, and say, crashed into a heavy table.
Likewise, glomping someone with an easily damaged costume(especially wings) would be a bad idea.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I wouldnt mind it if a girl glomped me. So long as she was attractive. Like wise if I was a girl, I'd love to have me glomp....me.......

Forget it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5