• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Learning Japanese.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
consilience

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone's anime hobby led to them trying to learn Japanese? If so, where did you start, or did you already know?

I know the basic phrases just from watching too much anime, but I feel like if I'm going to be spending hours watching anime each day, I might as well try to learn the language. Plus being able to understand Japanese and not read subs definitely would be a more fulfilling experience.

Sorry if this thread exists elsewhere, I cannot find it.

[EDIT: Added the off topic label. -TK]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
No. Watching anime did not get me to learn Japanese. Learning Japanese got me into anime. I spent nine years in Japan and wasn't really big on anime, I'd watch some series here and there, mostly kiddy shows. Then I came back here and then discovered anime that appealed to me in a broader and often mature sense. Either way I know that being able to speak Japanese and then watching anime in Japanese helps me to keep my identity of being in Japan.
Miho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
---

Last edited by Miho on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
I suppose I kind of did learn Japanese for the sake of watching anime, reading Japanese novels, reading manga, playing bishoujo games, etc. I do want to visit Japan too, but anime and related mediums have been my main motivation to learn Japanese.

If I didn't take Japanese I would've been forced to take Spanish, so it was really an easy decision.
namelissis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
I have to say anime led way to my interest in learning Japanese...

since grade 6, i've learned some basic Japanese words but I'm not good at it yet...
but i have a japanese friend who translates everything i want to say in japanese...

but I think I'm gonna have a Korean lessons plus Japanese lessons since I'm going to Korea 1 year from now... and my mom agree that I can go back and forth in Korea and japan...
Amasa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
I have a hilarious website for you: http://pepper.idge.net/japanese/
I learnt Japanese while I was in high-school then that sort of got me interested in Japanese culture and from there I began to watch a lot of anime. Of course I had seen some anime before it actually interested me. And now I'm doing a Japanese major at university which I haven't started yet. To be honest, watching anime really doesn't teach me a great deal of Japanese... sure I learn simple really common phrases like yokata (i'm glad) or shikatanai (how troublesome), but even those phrases I don't know how to spell or say properly because the characters are saying them so casually. Anime will never teach you how to use particles appropriately or the correct way of using tenses.
I agree it would be more fulfilling to watch anime without the help of english subtitles but I'm afraid it's not that simple. To fully understand everything anime characters are saying you'd probably need to spend a significant amount of time studying japanese culture and customs that are inherent to Japanese people as they grow up. For example half the jokes in Azumanga Daioh I'd never understand if it wasn't for the subtitles which are modified to make it understandable for us. Not stuff that's in the translator's notes and not stuff that's in the language itself (basugasubasugasu) but stuff that's embedded in the culture.

One day I hope to speak fluent Japanese, not just so I can watch anime though hehe. Oh and Japanese is actually a very easy language to learn for most English speakers. I recommend that you read that website, it doesn't take as long as it looks.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
While I don't believe learning Japanese is as easy as the rumors say, I also don't believe it is as difficult as The Truth tells people. This is only my third year learning Japanese, and I can already understand ~85% anime raw, and play a visual novel most of the way through with only minor Kanji issues.
RGP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
Hello Everyone,

I am new here and i am becoming more and more.. addicted would be the right word, to anime and manga. I have been watching Bleach but stopped that after watching the first story arc and part way into the second one and i am currently watching Naruto of which i am over a 100 episodes in, I also do like other anime like Hack Sign, Love Hina (ok so i like it? so what Embarassed Twisted Evil ), Cowboy Bebop and I am not a anime geek but do like watching anime and from what i have observed i have picked up a few words here and here, especially from Naruto with words like "Love" and "Damn" and "Dammit" etc and a few other trite swear words that i'd rather not provide here. I am hoping to study a formal course at my university, i also wanted to enquire if anyone knew how to install a Japanese language pack into windows so that i can start slowly learning how to type out letters and words. Many thanks.

RGP
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quote
(This is assuming you have windows...)

There should be a the language pack on your Windows OS disk.

Need to go to:

Control Panel - Regional and Language Settings

It'll be different from OS to OS, but generally you need to change your Text Services and Input Languages to Japanese. Set Japanese as your default for that. It should pop up a bar on the top of your screen that can help you change your input from Hiragana to Direct Input and so forth.

Gah, I'm not explaining it very well...

here's a website CLICK ME
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:08 am Reply with quote
I pretty much got the common phrases covered, like itadakimasu and terms used to refer to family members, thanks to translator notes, repetition and this link:

http://www.learn-japanese-fun.com/commonanimewords.html

it's actually a fun language to learn, and I think if I ever go to Japan I won't have too many problems Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CardcaptorSakuraFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:05 am Reply with quote
Hello. I learned a few phrases in Japanese like ohaiyo gozaimasu, konnichiwa and a few more others when I was 7-9 yrs old. My mother went to Japan to study for a few months when she was young. And now with anime, I am very determined to learn Japanese and I can recognise some characters similar to Chinese. I hope I can speak and write in Japanese.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
I'm a self-taught student of Japanese. Anime was a factor for me getting into learning the language, mostly because I was in that position of watching whatever I could get my hands on and always wanting more. With so little available back then subtitled, I thought to myself "Why wait for someone else to translate it?"

Though, also at the time, I was a student of martial arts, and knowing that Japanese would help me there as well, I guess you could argue that the desire to learn came from at least two different sources concurrently.

I first started in 1997 when a social studies teacher handed the class a small packet of Japanese words, phrases, grammar, and katakana. I had already been a fan of anime for at least three years and when I started to understand the material, I thought it was a goal I could accomplish. All throughout the remainder of middle school and high school, I attended a few community school classes, spent plenty of money on books, and just did it when I had time. I'm a lot less fluent than most who have proper education and training in nearly ten years, but for doing it all by myself, I think I've done alright. If more systematic education had been available to me, I would have taken advantage of it but they weren't, so I did what I had to do to accomplish my goal. At one point, I thought I wanted to become a translator but I decided against it and go into another love of mine - tech.

Last edited by SalarymanJoe on Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
BobafettBH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
For me Watching Anime got me interested in the culture (Although its different in the real world) But now im very interested in learning the language and bought some books to learn some of the basics. As for why i just want to learn the language so one day i could possibly move to Japan and work and live there, and with 4 to 6 years of Japanese language training i hope to be fluent.
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
It did that for me. I'm only an elementary student but plan to do the JET program (Japanese ENglish Teaching) next summer. So yea, anime and manga were like a gateway into the culture and language, so to speak.

I consider myself a visual learner, so as far as the written langauge goes, even tho Kanji are complex, confusing and arbitrary (at least with radical usage) I find it fun and challenging to an extent that, lets say my 4 years of high school spanish, never was.

It takes alot of dedication and practice like any language though. And you can ALWAYS learn new stuff.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather used to having to learn a "new" language - that included English (after emigrating into the US). Unfortunately, I never became fluent in German despite taking 4 years of it in high school. Oh well...

Now, if I can get Japanese to my German level, then I'll be happy. Twisted Evil By the way, Korean looks interesting too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3