• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ikebukuro Shop to Sell New Durarara Book at Midnight

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, seeing the title reminded me of all the stores that opened early to sell HP.

Is it really that popular?

I mean, I think the anime was, to some extent.... But I didn't think the novel was. Atleast that popular. Where they would open early just for that...

Quote:
The much anticipated new volume in Nagaru Tanigawa's Haruhi Suzumiya light novel series, Suzumiya Haruhi no Kyōgaku (The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya), was also sold at midnight in Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya this past May.

As popular as Haruhi?

Maybe midnight opening things aren't a big deal there as they are here. Here, I imagine something has to be quite big.

Or maybe i'm just that outta touch these days Anime smile + sweatdrop

I guess what I really wanna know is if we might get it here someday...
I hope so atleast.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I really have to think that "July 10th" is a typo. I doubt they would announce this 11 months before the book hits the shelf.

As far as DRRR's light novel sales go, volume 9 sold about 150k, which is rather good, but certainly nothing like Haruhi, Moshidora, BakaTest, Oreimo, Index, or even Library War.

It's still one of the best selling ongoing light novels though.

Here's a link that lists the top selling LNs of 2010.

As you can see, the anime sparked interest in the first couple of LNs, but the readers mostly stopped after the 4th vol.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Makes me wonder if the anime will ever get a 2nd season based on later light novels/manga...
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As far as DRRR's light novel sales go, volume 9 sold about 150k, which is rather good, but certainly nothing like Haruhi, Moshidora, BakaTest, Oreimo, Index, or even Library War.

You say DRRR's novels sales are nothing those but DRRR's light novels outsold all of them, except for Moshidora. Sure the sales are not uniform across all volumes at least more than 1 or 2 volumes were present on the yearly top seller list.

Anyways. DRRR! is a top seller and the shop is looking to capitalize on that fact.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Arsenic: When volume 1-4 outsells volume 20 of another series it's not too surprising. Lots of people read the first few volumes. However, what matters is retention. Keeping those 300k+ who bought the first novel to get all the novels. Which didn't happen with DRRR. Which is why volume 9 only sold ~150k
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Lots of things get Midnight releases...

Anyway the animate is in Ikebukuro as well in Otome Road so right there tells you, the fujoshi crowd love this series. As well where it taks place but mostly fujoshi I'm certain Anime hyper
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Arsenic: When volume 1-4 outsells volume 20 of another series it's not too surprising. Lots of people read the first few volumes. However, what matters is retention. Keeping those 300k+ who bought the first novel to get all the novels. Which didn't happen with DRRR. Which is why volume 9 only sold ~150k

I don't see year end sales charts for the top performers as being the end all be all test of customer retention though. A to date tally, better. There might be a new post but this works.. DRRR! doesn't outperform the Index series but it's sales are close Index's, better than Oreimo, and far behind Haruhi. Of course I knew Haruhi and Moshidora are monsters.

Back to the topic at hand. It makes sense for a midnight release because the last volume took the number one spot for first week sales.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
What's important to note about that is that Oreimo's "latest reporting date" on that chart is August 2010. The anime didn't even air until October 2010. Obviously the light novel had a spike in sales once the anime hit the airwaves.

Plus, as shown in this post on that same thread, the chart itself is suspect at best.

Last edited by Megiddo on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I bet it certainly did have a spike in sales.

I am not sure how one wrong entry makes the entire chart, at best suspect. Particularly when most numbers for entries besides Seitokai no Ichizon reasonably matches what has been posted before or after.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Katsukasu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Why do you even count Moshidora in there?
It's not officially published as a light novel, nor is it placed where the light novels are placed in Japanese book stores (at least in all where I had been to when I was in Japan some while ago and Moshidora was still selling hot) and its (intended) target group is different from the typical light novel target group.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
Katsukasu wrote:
Why do you even count Moshidora in there?
It's not officially published as a light novel, nor is it placed where the light novels are placed in Japanese book stores (at least in all where I had been to when I was in Japan some while ago and Moshidora was still selling hot) and its (intended) target group is different from the typical light novel target group.

Yeah, the Moshidora fad is so stupid anyways. Japanese sararimen weren't buying Drucker's management, but put an underage skirt in it, then suddenly they're buying it in droves. Y'know they're not buying it to learn about management style. J-sararimen are so pathetic now - the days of Japan Inc. are getting so farther and farther away.... Laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I preordered my copy at Animate Ikebukuro a few days ago and plan to pick it up at a more sane time. To be honest I haven't even gotten past the 1st novel though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1