• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Merging Lanes: TOHO's Acquisition of GKIDS

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlimeDrawsNear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 11:21 am Reply with quote
Minor typo in the article: "Boah" should be "Baoh".

I also want to share the memorable tagline from the Baoh DVD packaging: "It lives in your brain...and won't let you die!"

Regarding the article itself: I do agree that there should be more antitrust litigation, both within the anime sphere and out. I'm still upset that they allowed Crunchyroll and Funimation to merge.

Holding out hope for GKids though. Hopefully they continue to do solid work.
Hatless

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 11:38 am Reply with quote
The dark heart of late-stage capitalism is when backstage changes to the distribution of your luxury entertainment product.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 1:23 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the mergers/acquisitions around anime seem to get a pass because it is a niche thing, even though the end result is one or very few companies snapping up each part of the chain. Sony has companies that produce, license, stream, physically sell, and theatrically screen anime. I can't see where it has produced something that has improved my experience.

While the retail warehouse is still where it was with Right Stuf, and the packaging is still good, I can say in my own experience the customer service, which was one of the best things about Right Stuf, turned into what you'd expect from a company that is too big to care. I recently had an issue with their site where orders just refused to process, and between my subscriber discount and the generally lower prices, I wanted to use their store. The initial utterly unhelpful suggestions that made it obvious they didn't look at it, followed by "experts" looking into it who didn't respond beyond "we're aware and looking into it" unless I contacted them, and only solving it through my own workarounds left me pretty unimpressed and at a point where any other price-competitive store will get my business.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1