• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Voltron Film Casts Daniel Quinn-Toye for Filming This Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Guessing for Pidge?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:59 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Guessing for Pidge?

There’s reports going around that the movie will star five new characters not using the names from the original series. Ostensibly (the report is from attendees at the VoltCon 2023 panel) it’s because they wanted the writers to have more freedom with the script and not be stuck with the familiar archetypes. Some however suspect it’s being done to ensure a complete divorce from the Legendary Defender debacle, so no one compares the characters to the characters from that.
power moon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:01 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
Guessing for Pidge?

There’s reports going around that the movie will star five new characters not using the names from the original series. Ostensibly (the report is from attendees at the VoltCon 2023 panel) it’s because they wanted the writers to have more freedom with the script and not be stuck with the familiar archetypes. Some however suspect it’s being done to ensure a complete divorce from the Legendary Defender debacle, so no one compares the characters to the characters from that.

That'd be weird because the characters in Legendary Defender are just adaptations of the ones from the original series (With the exception of Sven in favour of Shiro), changing the names of the characters because of that would so odd. I even think i remember a producer of Wolrd Event Producitons saying they actually liked Legendary Defender, so it would make that theory make even less sense.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:14 am Reply with quote
power moon wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
Guessing for Pidge?

That'd be weird because the characters in Legendary Defender are just adaptations of the ones from the original series (With the exception of Sven in favour of Shiro), changing the names of the characters because of that would so odd. I even think i remember a producer of Wolrd Event Producitons saying they actually liked Legendary Defender, so it would make that theory make even less sense.

Yeah, I'd wager this is just Amazon not wanting to do something that could be compared to what Netflix already did and less about the success or failure of their series. Basically they want to make it their own. We'll see if it's still recognizable.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Voltron is one that could easily work in live action because the plot is pretty simple and episodic, the setting isn't overtly Japanese, and it's already heavily influenced by Super Sentai and toku shows.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 12:47 pm Reply with quote
My reptilian hind brain is happy to see everyone hates VLD. I hate it so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1