• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia: You're Next Film Reveals New Dub Cast Members, Poster

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Mike McFarland is directing the dub as well according to some of the personal cast announcements, happy to see the dub production behind the scenes is seemingly remaining in-house despite the distribution change up from past MHA films.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 2:40 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Looks like Mike McFarland is directing the dub as well according to some of the personal cast announcements, happy to see the dub production behind the scenes is seemingly remaining in-house despite the distribution change up from past MHA films.

Glad to know that the English dub cast and crew are involved in this movie, while I've never watched MHA in English, since that's not my native language, I've heard the dub is well done. Can't say the same thing about the dub made for my native language, that is the Latin American Spanish dud, I've already mentioned it, but My Hero Academia's LatAm SP dub is probably one of the most conroversial dubs from recent years and not even dub enjoyers seem to like it, it's the only anime series currently being dubbed in Miami, Florida, though with plenty of VAs from other regions working remotely, but it still has a lot of problems in regards to acting, accents, translation, repeated voices and other that change from episode to episode. Now, the first two movies where the first My Hero Academia related work dubbed into LA Spanish, but they had a totally different voice cast which was done in Mexico and in retrospective people wish they could have dubbed the anime, the third movie was dubbed my the Funimation's dub cast, but it is still not available in any format whatsoever, it hasn't been released on home video or streaming, which is weird since the first two movie's dubs were released on Netlfix and Funimation's dub for the series and its OVAs are now on Crunchyroll, as well as the new seasons.
I think most people in the LA Spanish-speaking fandom would prefer if this movie gets dubbed by the first two movie's cast, but I imagine Toho would rather continue with Funimation's cast, just to maintain consistency.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Kayli Mills!
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:

Glad to know that the English dub cast and crew are involved in this movie, while I've never watched MHA in English, since that's not my native language, I've heard the dub is well done. Can't say the same thing about the dub made for my native language, that is the Latin American Spanish dud, I've already mentioned it, but My Hero Academia's LatAm SP dub is probably one of the most conroversial dubs from recent years and not even dub enjoyers seem to like it, it's the only anime series currently being dubbed in Miami, Florida, though with plenty of VAs from other regions working remotely, but it still has a lot of problems in regards to acting, accents, translation, repeated voices and other that change from episode to episode. Now, the first two movies where the first My Hero Academia related work dubbed into LA Spanish, but they had a totally different voice cast which was done in Mexico and in retrospective people wish they could have dubbed the anime, the third movie was dubbed my the Funimation's dub cast, but it is still not available in any format whatsoever, it hasn't been released on home video or streaming, which is weird since the first two movie's dubs were released on Netlfix and Funimation's dub for the series and its OVAs are now on Crunchyroll, as well as the new seasons.
I think most people in the LA Spanish-speaking fandom would prefer if this movie gets dubbed by the first two movie's cast, but I imagine Toho would rather continue with Funimation's cast, just to maintain consistency.

"Spanish dud"

This works on SO MANY LEVELS.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how this film stacks up compared to the previous ones, especially considering it'll (presumably) be the final film in the franchise.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:39 am Reply with quote
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
["Spanish dud"

This works on SO MANY LEVELS.

Huh, I didn't realize I made a typo Laughing , but it actually encapsulates what went wrong with My Hero Academia's Neutral Spanish dub. I mean, it's been almost 4 years since it premiered, there's been some minor improvements, but I still can't say it's a good dub, and it's seems Crunchyroll knows it, since they don't give it as much publicity compared to their other LA SP dubs, not to mention that I think Funimation apparently realized they had made a mistake in choosing The Kitchen Miami to dub dub MHA, because they only dubbed two more shows there, Higurashi: When they Cry - GOU and Akudama Drive, and they even stopped working with The Kitchen's branch in Cuernavaca, Mexico, whose last new anime they dubbed there was Banished from the Hero's Party back in October, 2021. The only reason why My Hero Academia continues to be dubbed in The Kitchen Miami is probably due to contractual obligation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1