• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: VTuber Legend: How I Went Viral after Forgetting to Turn Off My Stream

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lily Garden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see our lovely reviewer is familiar with Vtubers, it definitely helps to have at least a passing familiarity with the Vtuber scene to watch this anime. The show really captures the kooky antics Vtubers get up to.

As someone who has read the light novels let me just say, it only gets crazier from here

Comparatively, the stuff we've seen so far in these hasn't been that out there
Looking at Vtuber streams I've seen where the person:

Ate wet dog food on stream https://youtu.be/0qXFp0khjXg

Crafted a months-long psychological horror story arc between two versions of her model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D34nt-1vGs8

Speed-ran reading the Wii Menu Electronic Manual https://youtu.be/0ed256V37kE?t=716
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll be following this show once the dub begins. Might I add that I'm shocked that it got a dub, lol.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:58 am Reply with quote
This was one of my two favorite debuts for new series this season (along with Quality Assurance), and the second episode was a strong follow-up. Found it to be far more entertaining than the other dedicated comedies this season.

Glad Chris brought up the character designs because I have found that aspect to be particularly interesting. Feels like some kind of commentary is being intended there rather than it just being a joke/gimmick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:36 am Reply with quote
Ayaneru's voice in this is so Strong (Zero)
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know Strong Zero had been ported the US (though NGL kinda sad about the reduced ABV... not that I should be) I'll have to see if I can pick some up in my area... probably over the weekend... which conveniently starts tomorrow.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Judging from the first episode, the English dub is gonna be fun. The MC sounds like Trina Nishimura, and she is hamming it up in the booth, with some funny line deliveries. Unfortunately, last I checked, the Japanese characters that pop up on the screen weren't translated, which kinda compromised the whole viewing experience. Even Vtuber clippers on YouTube make sure to translate the relevant Japanese text, but not Crunchyroll?? And if the onscreen text IS translated on the sub version, uh, what the crap?

You should probably fix that, Crunchy. Neutral
Otohiko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:04 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
The MC sounds like Trina Nishimura, and she is hamming it up in the booth, with some funny line deliveries.

Seriously, checked it out and that does sound like her! Do we know who it is yet?
Either way, yep, the dub has done a good job.

I'm really enjoying the show so far. I like how much it leans into the chaos and no-filter antics - just like within the story, it'd sort of be difficult to dial it back. Not that it needs to.
The relationships with her fellow youtubers have honestly been supportive to the point of warm-and-fuzzy, but it does feel like there's a slightly ominous undertone where I could see the management being shown as pushing her towards self-destructive behaviour, maliciously or not. I'm not sure if it's going to go in that direction later in the season, or mostly just stay with the gags, but it'd be interesting if it did.
Tylec

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I had a blast with the opening episode, but now I find myself wondering where the series is going. There's an undercurrent of sleaziness to Awa's company and her genmates plying her with alcohol, but I don't know if the show dares tread so dark as to explore how LiveOn is just as exploitive as Awa's prior office job.

Similarly, for all that Awa gushes about her lesbian crushes on her genmates, the show seems content to keep any developments at fluff and innuendo. This doesn't seem to going the harem or romantic comedy route.

So we're left with 15 minute vignettes were Awa visits the gals of LiveOn and discovers the juxtaposition (or lack thereof) between their online and IRL personas. Rinse and repeat.

I'm willing to try out one, maybe two more episodes but something needs to happen to shake things up.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:42 am Reply with quote
There are some choices here that I appreciate. The on-screen versions of the characters are Live2D. I expected anime character on screen and real character off screen, but switching styles of animation and leaving their appearance the same is clever. The ending credits were also good. It's the Live2D model moving to the extent it can with a chat box on the side, which is representative of most vtuber karaoke streams. Even the audio design deserves a mention. I was watching with headphones on and can verify that the ASMR stream did switch speakers depending on the ear.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:25 am Reply with quote
So did they intentionally cast Yoko Hikasa fully knowing they would be making a Rias Gremory joke?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:27 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
So did they intentionally cast Yoko Hikasa fully knowing they would be making a Rias Gremory joke?
And intentionally made it animated by the studio which made Highschool DxD (the early three seasons before it got switched to Passione) in the first place. Laughing

More like they just found a way to make a good joke (not like the series lacks of them in first place) and decided to commit to it Laughing
Otohiko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:05 am Reply with quote
I did lose it a little bit at "nice boat", well played Laughing

It does seem like the show is heading into a relatively fluffy direction as of this episode (rather than making commentary on, say, the production company exploitatively nudging Awa/Shuwa into unhealthy behaviour), but I guess I'm okay with that. If it wants to stay an episodic comedy, that's perfectly fine. The key thing is that it seems to understand its audience.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
VTuber Legend worships a bit too hard at the altar of benevolent streaming production companies for my liking

I wouldn't be so sure about that. What kind of company hires someone who pretty much announces they're going to openly harrass one of their current employees?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:47 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Quote:
VTuber Legend worships a bit too hard at the altar of benevolent streaming production companies for my liking

I wouldn't be so sure about that. What kind of company hires someone who pretty much announces they're going to openly harrass one of their current employees?

I guess the same one that had no notes on said employee starting the habit of getting drunk as a crutch on streams.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I am genuinely surprised by how much real stuff is in this show. Real games, Weiss Schwartz with actual anime characters including the Rias cameo, and there are thumbnails with Hololive vtubers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2