• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam Silver Phantom VR Anime Reveals New Visual, Trailer, Fall Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:11 pm Reply with quote
This looks like it's going to be a very surreal Gundam visual experience.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:12 pm Reply with quote
....I gotta say, this looks kinda lame. I'll need something big to change my mind.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:42 pm Reply with quote
This honestly reminds me more of MS Igloo.
The callbacks to the Delta series MS and Nitro System is nice though.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:59 am Reply with quote
Looking at this, they really should have done just a regular anime. Nakagawa is in this. Nice song.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:57 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
....I gotta say, this looks kinda lame. I'll need something big to change my mind.

It's likely going to be - there's already a lack of direction coming from modern UC Gundam in regards to the type of stories the franchise is telling, and there also already exists "interactable anime" sorts of VR experiences like Spice and Wolf and Tokyo Chronos. Both of those I recommend when on sale, but with the asterisk that they are both basically glorified Visual Novels.

"This is not a game, nor is it just a narrative experience—it's an immersive adventure that leverages the best of both worlds." Hubris and a lack of understanding of VR to the highest extreme, I'm fully expecting this will be received the same as that 3D Berserk CGI show that had a fundamental lack of understanding cinematography in a 3D space. The warning signs are already in the trailer.

Imagine instead a world where we get Persona 6 and the characters address you personally, date you personally, you place a gun to your own head and feel the trigger pull to summon your Persona. Every item in your character's dorm is placeable and you can physically walk yourself outside to a store to buy new decorations, food for your team, have conversations, explore labyrinths.....

Until that is the sort of VR experiences these companies are focusing on, they're missing the entire point of VR. Resident Evil 4's team understood that and it's currently reigning as one of, if not THE best paid VR experiences right now, and it's a conversion of a game originally released on the Gamecube. The stuff that fans are creating in VR for free right now is running circles around the two-minute garbage whole companies are churning out.

See for yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1