• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sound! Euphonium Author Ayano Takeda Reacts to Anime's Surprise Twist

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YackDe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:22 am Reply with quote
I think she recognizes what others have pointed out: the result from the novels was a concession to narrative convention. The main character has to get the big part for the big climactic event in their last year. They're the main character after all, that's just what they do. So as a writer I imagine she's appreciative of the anime going on its own path away from that convention and seeing where that goes.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:35 am Reply with quote
Oddly, I predicted and saw the anime outcome as the logical thing it was pointing towards, where it's always reemphasized that Kumiko was drifting further from music and was indecisive about her future which didn't seem to want to be a musician, but she does have a leadership knack. Her loss would help make that break she was leaning towards.
oFFoy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:49 am Reply with quote
The episode was a masterpiece.
Amins

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:16 am Reply with quote
so thats why this twist was so bad.Good to know that the original actually makes sense and has the good ending and not the shitty ending that the anime will have
Dnautics

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:20 am Reply with quote
This episode is nothing short of spicey. I love surprises.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Having never read the light novels (I would like to, but translations are scarce), I must admit I have trouble imagining the original direction being anywhere near as compelling - satisfying on a basic level, sure, but not as enriching or as emotionally engaging.
KyoAni's staff have a history of tweaking their source material a lot, but for the most part they seem to be impressively skilled at keeping their finger on the pulse of the story and bringing out the very best version of it. In spite of everything they've gone through, it's great to see KyoAni's crew continuing to deliver phenomenal storytelling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1