• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan's Ruling Party Puts Out Poster That Looks Too Familiar to Slam Dunk Fans

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaverusiv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:48 pm Reply with quote
The clothes have completely different wrinkles in them, this is not a simple copy-paste. I don't wanna comment on Japanese copyright law but to me this is an homage not a rip-off
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:51 am Reply with quote
If the woman who recently was charged for putting insects onto copyrighted images gets in trouble, so too should the ruling party. This looks incredibly close to the original, so to me it’s copyright infringement if they did not first receive permission to use the image in question.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:13 am Reply with quote
Well it got a chuckle out of me Laughing
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:12 am Reply with quote
In the US, this would be considered parody, and would therefore fall under Fair Use. I don't get Japanese copyright law sometimes.

Also, it's extremely funny/ironic that this poster took its inspiration from Slam Dunk, given the series' heavy use of reference materials like those mentioned in the article.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Taking into account the LDP is responsible for laws that get people under arrest for copyright violation, I want to see it happen. I want that lawsuit to happen.
light turner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:39 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Also, it's extremely funny/ironic that this poster took its inspiration from Slam Dunk, given the series' heavy use of reference materials like those mentioned in the article.

Perhaps intentional since if the mangaka called them out it'd be seen as hypocritical. I remember when a politician cosplayed as Lelouch and got in trouble but that was a bit more direct and overt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1