• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You' Season 2 Unveils Mor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LukaTheLancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:25 am Reply with quote
huh i did not expect them to go this far, i thought this season was gonna end with the Iku Sutō arc, since it seemed like a good place to end it here. it would also been cover about the same amount of chapters as season 1. Unless this is gonna be a 2 cour.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:16 am Reply with quote
LukaTheLancer wrote:
huh i did not expect them to go this far, i thought this season was gonna end with the Iku Sutō arc, since it seemed like a good place to end it here. it would also been cover about the same amount of chapters as season 1. Unless this is gonna be a 2 cour.

I think you're misremembering the timeline there. The first season covered just about 3 volumes (minus the body swap chapter which will probably be the S2 opener. Iku's introductory arc ends before the mid-point of volume 5.
L0ken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:12 am Reply with quote
LukaTheLancer wrote:

Everything points out of season 2 finale being Karane's arc - which is chapter 50. Season 1 adapted 22 chapters out of which first 3 were double-triple lenght, so it reality it was more like 26 chapters. Season 2 would cover roughly the same amount
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Rieri voicing the sporty girl fits and Lynn is half-American so having her voice a blonde surprisingly fits.

Kanon Takao as a moody goth girl should be fun.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:29 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Kanon Takao as a moody goth girl should be fun.
Meme is far away from being that though - she is "shy mob character" archetype down to her designs (they show it right in the visual for this season).
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:28 am Reply with quote
So 4 new Girls equals 3 episodes per girl for development if this is another one cour.

I feel like one of the potential downside of this type of show is that as more of the woman show up, some of the other characters will probably get lost trough the story.

For anyone who has read the story, has this happened so far? or is everyone still getting their moment to shine in a balanced progression? or some are more favoured over others?
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:14 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
So 4 new Girls equals 3 episodes per girl for development if this is another one cour.

I feel like one of the potential downside of this type of show is that as more of the woman show up, some of the other characters will probably get lost trough the story.

For anyone who has read the story, has this happened so far? or is everyone still getting their moment to shine in a balanced progression? or some are more favoured over others?

You see, this is what separates this manga from many harem series. The two mangakas do a amazing job of having all of the girls have their moments and time to shine during all of the chapters. We're at spoiler[ 29 girls as of now] and admittedly some girls may not got the all of the attention, which is solved by solo and group dates and plots with or without the main guy Rentarou.
akitainu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:45 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

spoiler[There will actually be 5 new girlfriends. One of the new ones briefly appeared in season one. She's pictured in the teaser visual]

I like all the hints/accessories of future girlfriends in the teaser visual. Completely missed it the first couple times I looked...I probably wouldn't make a good detective.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:07 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Its Good, , the author has the good idea of having the girls/women interact between themselves.
L0ken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Actually one of the impressive feats of 100 kanojo that it managed to avoid this expected problem. Season 1 adapted 22 chapters, Season 2 should reach chapter 50 yet currently manga at 178 chapters with spoiler[29] girlfriends - and everyone is always around, getting screentime, focus, new dynamics, regardless if it's old or newer girlfriends.

They managed to make it work due to several factors. Like series not rushing anywhere, setting up to be loooong one, thus having rate of initially two and nowadays one new girlfriend per 1 manga volume (which is 9 chapters). So it takes it's time to make established cast interact with each other and see them do things before new permanent cast member joins to shake up the overall chemistry.

What really helps with this is flexible, diverse, rotating chapter structure to ensure everyone has their time. Chapter format can be different, rotating between types like massive group chapter with everyone, smaller sub-groups focus, individual exploration of particular girlfriend, mini-arcs for several chapters, vigniette-style chapters, theme chapters, new gf intros etc etc. Since time is spend on everyone that ensures cast presence is constantly accumulated all the time, even if any particular girlfriend has to wait her turn to have for example solo date. 100gf is also quite content-dense manga making full use of each frame, so there is huge reread value to catch new things and established lore.

Honestly I'm deeply surprised how well it works after 4 years of runtime, usually at this stage many series, particularly romcoms could crumble... but 100kano is going strong and remains beloved by the community. Testament to the writer and artist skill and dedication to get to all 100 girlfriends without cop-outs.

Regarding anime adaptation it should be noted that since manga is continuous work that doesn't have seasons, you have to expect that not everyone would get deep focus in available 12 episodes, like for example girl can be introduced during last episodes so naturally we wouldn't have too much time spend on her due to productions limitation. It's not the overall series issue, just the nature of receiving anime in chunks (One Piece anime type of production may work here lol), so it's better to think about 100 kanojo as a whole.
FishLion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
I adore this show because choosing one romantic interest was always my least favorite part of harem shows. There are so many that have this warm and loving found family dynamic and then because the story needs a conclusion they focus on one route from all the options when in the original VN every character was fleshed out and had a satisfying conclusion if you wanted to pursue them.

I never knew what the best narrative solution to this problem was, but 100kano has really pushed the envelope by saying that even if your favorite isn't the most obvious main route they will not be abandoned by the story
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1