• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Hunter Wilds Game Reveals New Trailer, Confirms Crossplay

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not sold on this, it looks too similar to Dragon's Dogma 2 and not close enough to Generations Ultimate. Hopefully they show some of the multiplayer/co-op and downtime goofies next time. The Crossplay was pretty big news for it though.
Matros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:55 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I'm still not sold on this, it looks too similar to Dragon's Dogma 2 and not close enough to Generations Ultimate.

You've definitely watched something else unlike us mortal folks, because there's nothing that moves or looks like Dragon's Dogma 2.
Scoot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I'm still not sold on this, it looks too similar to Dragon's Dogma 2 and not close enough to Generations Ultimate.

You've definitely watched something else unlike us mortal folks, because there's nothing that moves or looks like Dragon's Dogma 2.

While it does not look like Dogma 2, it does lack the Monster Hunter charm in my opinion. World had some but now with its success (not to be dramatic) but Capcom has the new MH formula and Monster Hunter will continue moving away from what I liked from the series in the first place.
I still don't see a reason for a cinematic story? Anyways, I came for its mission based gameplay and looting loop. Unlike World I hope they will implement a "skip" button for cut scenes.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I feel like MonHun is loosing its soul. Rise (base game at least, still haven't started Sunbreak and I read it's harder) is much easier than Tri and 4, but at least it still has Monster Hunter vibes.

But World and this? Not so much unfortunately (OST aside). Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

Which Capcom game is this?

Is the above a screencap from Wilds, or is it from Dragon's Dogma 2? I jest a bit, but Wilds is leaning too close to the uncanny valley with its realism, and I'm not fond of open/empty deserts. It makes the goofier elements like the (talking!) cats seem sorely out of place. I'm also not a fan of Rise/Sunbreak's wonky difficulty/gameplay elements, but aesthetically it's still definitely goofy ol' Monster Hunter. I want more Monster Hunter lore and worldbuilding, but Wilds is seeming too overly-intense for the moment, in a way that uncomfortably reminds me of DD2.
Vent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:15 am Reply with quote
That joke still doesn't make it clear what you're talking about. The games look nothing alike. You can just say you don't like how it looks without making some extremely tenuous comparison point.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Scoot wrote:

I still don't see a reason for a cinematic story? Anyways, I came for its mission based gameplay and looting loop. Unlike World I hope they will implement a "skip" button for cut scenes.

I’ve only ever played World and Iceborne but even that game of course had missions and looting as did Rise & Sunbreak. Adding cutscenes on top of story doesn’t take away from that nor does the more realistic character models that I’m sure you can give over the top hairdos and absurd looking armor too (once you tediously gather the necessary ingredients for).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1