• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mysterious Disappearances Volume 1 Manga Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turtleboy76

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
How is a bit less sexualised than the anime a positive? absolutely a negative.

The amount of irony coming from someone who use to review hentai, but hey modern standards i guess.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I've only skimmed a bit of this, after I saw people talking about the anime, but I don't think I have a problem with Sumireko's character design in principle. With her whole thing being displeasure with her own adulthood and a longing for childhood, there's a certain logic in exaggerating the "adultness" of her proportions, almost to the point of being too much.

Turtleboy76 wrote:
How is a bit less sexualised than the anime a positive? absolutely a negative.

It's a positive if sexualization distracts from what the series is trying to do as a mystery/horror/etc. series, or conflicts with theme. Like, maybe the focus of a scene is supposed to be a character brooding, or pining, or being scared, but the camera angle means the actual effect ends up being "dang, nice ass". On the other hand, if the key information being conveyed is "Alice is trying to seduce Bob and he is having a very hard time saying no", then sexualizing Alice is perfectly in service to that goal.

(And then there's Anime-Gataris, which has a running gag of one side character being sexualized by the camera at the end of the cold open, for absolutely no apparent reason whatsoever. In that case, the absurdity of the sheer pointlessness becomes the joke.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1