• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation VR2's PC Adapter Enables Compatibility with SteamVR Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:02 pm Reply with quote
It is still crazy to me how much they split up the already niche VR audience by not making things as cross-compatible as possible. Having titles be exclusive to one specific headset without any reason other than the exclusivity itself, having headsets not be as compatible as possible with as many systems as possible out of the box is crazy to me.

Like fine, have Playstation 5 exclusive VR games. Keep certain features exclusive to the systems that can actually support it and where that feature is absolutely vital to the experience, make those experiences exclusive to the platforms supporting such features (like eye-tracking and haptics and whatnot). But beyond that, I shouldn't have to buy multiple headsets if I want a certain number of games, the decision shouldn't be as hard and I shouldn't have to spend the price of a full game to make my already expensive piece of kit work on PC without certain features.

It's really hard to convince people to buy a VR headset even without all that. Showing it in a Youtube video doesn't really convey it. You have to try it to understand it apparently (I still haven't had the chance to). You don't know if you're gonna get sick if you play it until you try it, and how sick, and if you can get used to it.
All those doubts, plus not knowing which one to go with, plus knowing you WILL miss out on some exclusive games and features no matter which one you pick, for a price that is as high as it is for a decent one. That's just crazy. And is the reason why a lot of the games for it are just some short little experimental gimmicks and/or neat little spin-offs of bigger profile titles.

I bet if they had, from the start, worked together as much as they could to make that plunge as easy and attractive as possible, we'd have more games as high high profile as Half-Life: Alyx by now.

Imagine they had done this with any generation of HDTV. Where you had to get a Sony one to use on Playstation, maybe you can get an adapter to plug your PC or Xbox in but it's gonna be lower refresh rate or miss HDR or something, idk. That'd be crazy.
Maybe there's a LITTLE more reason to do it with a peripheral as complicated as a VR Headset but on the other hand, a TV is also much easier to convey to people the benefit of and to show off in a store or whatever. Without the risk of eye infections or embarrassing yourself in public, too.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:34 am Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
I bet if they had, from the start, worked together as much as they could to make that plunge as easy and attractive as possible, we'd have more games as high high profile as Half-Life: Alyx by now.

So high profile people are still wondering why Half Life 3 hasn’t been made. Maybe I wrong with this assumption but with VR being as niche as it is. It’s just never going to catch on. And just going to exist primarily as alternate means of playing games that have VR functionality as option,
Pandsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:56 am Reply with quote
I think it has the potential to be more than that, though. And splitting up the niche into even smaller groups with exclusivity and lack of cross-compatibility definitely doesn't help that.
I guess 'high profile' is maybe not the right term. But I mean Half-Life: Alyx feels like a fully fledged game from what I've seen, not just a gimmick. One you can fully immerse yourself in for hours and not feel like you just played a very impressive version of a Mario Party or Nintendoland minigame but nothing else.

It's a full Half-Life experience made specifically for VR with gameplay that would simply not hit outside of VR. It's THE VR killer-app for many, still. Years after it was released by a company that barely even makes games anymore.

Imagine the untapped potential there still is if other big devs fully explored it as its own thing and actually got the go-ahead and budget to spend a few years developing either new IPs or mainline installments of existing ones tailor-made for VR. There's so much amazing stuff they could do with that, I'm sure.
Heck, I mean imagine if Concord was revealed and was a VR-only thing and a lot more people had VR already. I imagine that would have gone over way better. A hero shooter made specifically for VR sounds a hell of a lot better than just... a hero shooter. And that's just one example.
Imagine an actual high-budget, 40+ hour RPG with uniquely controlled magical powers that take full advantage of the fact that there's two controllers moving around in 3D space.
Imagine a full-length horror game that truly takes advantage of it, even playing with your perception, making you wonder if you actually saw something spooky or imagined it or if it was a visual glitch or whatever.

But for that it needs to be financially feasible. Which needs a large install base. Which is hard enough to get as-is. But would be significantly less hard if there weren't as many arbitrary dividers both splitting up the small existing install-base and keeping people like me from taking the plunge and becoming a part of it in the first place.
animaters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
I think it has the potential to be more than that, though. And splitting up the niche into even smaller groups with exclusivity and lack of cross-compatibility definitely doesn't help that.
I guess 'high profile' is maybe not the right term. But I mean Half-Life: Alyx feels like a fully fledged game from what I've seen, not just a gimmick. One you can fully immerse yourself in for hours and not feel like you just played a very impressive version of a Mario Party or Nintendoland minigame but nothing else.

It's a full Half-Life experience made specifically for VR with gameplay that would simply not hit outside of VR. It's THE VR killer-app for many, still. Years after it was released by a company that barely even makes games anymore.

Imagine the untapped potential there still is if other big devs fully explored it as its own thing and actually got the go-ahead and budget to spend a few years developing either new IPs or mainline installments of existing ones tailor-made for VR. There's so much amazing stuff they could do with that, I'm sure.
Heck, I mean imagine if Concord was revealed and was a VR-only thing and a lot more people had VR already. I imagine that would have gone over way better. A hero shooter made specifically for VR sounds a hell of a lot better than just... a hero shooter. And that's just one example.
Imagine an actual high-budget, 40+ hour RPG with uniquely controlled magical powers that take full advantage of the fact that there's two controllers moving around in 3D space.
Imagine a full-length horror game that truly takes advantage of it, even playing with your perception, making you wonder if you actually saw something spooky or imagined it or if it was a visual glitch or whatever.

But for that it needs to be financially feasible. Which needs a large install base. Which is hard enough to get as-is. But would be significantly less hard if there weren't as many arbitrary dividers both splitting up the small existing install-base and keeping people like me from taking the plunge and becoming a part of it in the first place.

busienss wise, they want to make the vr market ass fractured as possible so they can monopolize it

joke on them, VR is shit now and hasn't taken off at all beside some nich community using it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1