• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they announce which digital platforms soon. I'd watch these on hulu but my gut says it's monopolyroll.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Rejected! It's not an authentic Dragon Quest dub unless they give every character a British accent for no reason.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Guessing this is a non-union dub? Is that SAG-AFTRA order still in place?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Rejected! It's not an authentic Dragon Quest dub unless they give every character a British accent for no reason.

….,Morrie from 8 didn’t have a British accent Razz
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:25 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:

The do not work order is still up on the website so I guess so. Wonder who it'll end up being in that case, 100 episodes is a tall order
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Why are Toei announcing this now, when they just could have announced it before stealthily adding it to BBC iPlayer?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:29 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
It’s a Canadian dub by Ocean but I don’t know if it’s a union dub. I think Ocean works with a different union group.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Hopefully they announce which digital platforms soon. I'd watch these on hulu but my gut says it's monopolyroll.

It'll be the same platforms the World Trigger season 2 & 3 dubs are on.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/season-201/8d6kgwz00z5g?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/season-202/8d6kgwz00z3m?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/World-Trigger-Season-2-Part-1/2142839
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/World-Trigger-Season-2-Part-2/2142860

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/season-301/8d6kgwz00xsf?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/world-trigger/8d6kgwz00z5h?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/World-Trigger-Season-3-Part-1/2142881
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/World-Trigger-Season-3-Part-2/2142905

Both Amazon & Hoopla were supposed to get it as well but never went up.

3ngag3 wrote:

It's a Canadian union dub with all-Canadian voice actors.

DamianSalazar wrote:
Why are Toei announcing this now, when they just could have announced it before stealthily adding it to BBC iPlayer?

This was uploaded by their American branch in LA, blame their European one in France for not promoting the BBC streams (and they do have social media since they keep promoting Dragon Ball Super Hero & One Piece Film Red every day).

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:34 pm Reply with quote
What a day to announce this. The anime finishes airing today.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see them finally dubbing it, and with a Vancouver cast to boot!
appledude1221 productions

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:42 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely not fair, Every show from Toei animation gets dubbed except precure and toei won't promote it outside Japan, they are just not trying to expand precure globally with the reiwa period. I feel like Toei is just trying to avoid dealing with international precure fans ignoring their wishes. I feel like Toei is dubbing all their shows except precure, this is very unfair to fans. I wish Toei Animation ill will because of this greed
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:54 pm Reply with quote
appledude1221 productions wrote:
This is absolutely not fair, Every show from Toei animation gets dubbed except precure and toei won't promote it outside Japan, they are just not trying to expand precure globally with the reiwa period. I feel like Toei is just trying to avoid dealing with international precure fans ignoring their wishes. I feel like Toei is dubbing all their shows except precure, this is very unfair to fans. I wish Toei Animation ill will because of this greed

To be fair they have tried twice.

Once with the original precure, which even aired on tv back in 2009 then again with Smile Precure which aired on Netflix under the name Glitter Force. But it doesn't seem like the show attracted much of an audience in either case.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

For real though, if they’d sent this to Side UK and given everyone cartoony Euro accents like the games it would have been amazing.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I can't watch the trailer, so would someone tell me, is this a new English dub or the one that was put on the BBC iplayer a few weeks ago.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:31 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
appledude1221 productions wrote:

To be fair they have tried twice.

Once with the original precure, which even aired on tv back in 2009 then again with Smile Precure which aired on Netflix under the name Glitter Force. But it doesn't seem like the show attracted much of an audience in either case.

That's because Toei partnered with Saban Brands, and with that came censorship and trimming down of episodes. If Toei partnered up with another company to dub it, say Crunchyroll, it would be a big deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3