• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hasbro, Paramount Plan Power Rangers Film Reboot

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Sheesh, they never, EVER learn their lesson, do they? It's gonna another big flop
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Sheesh, they never, EVER learn their lesson, do they? It's gonna another big flop

Hasbro is so far the only company to successfully get a nostalgia property from TV to big screen and make money, and oh God, I just imagined them getting Michael Bay for this.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
So is this a reboot for the reboot movie, or a reboot film to jumpstart the TV series? Question
micah007

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Can we get a team other than MMPR? I know they are easily the most marketable but S.P.D or Time Force just to give examples would be fun.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote

To be fair, I think quite a few will agree the previous film from a few years ago didn't deserve to be a flop. It wasn't perfect, but they did a good job fleshing out the characterization of the gang of heroes, there was some fun moments and while it did take a while to get to the action it was fun when it happened, and I enjoyed the new spin on Rita. Also, making Alpha-5 not just a generic mascot character to tolerate but a legit fun character is impressive.

But yeah, a reboot does feel like it will do even lower in the box office as movie go-ers will wonder why to bother if the previous continuity only got a single movie so why bother seeing this one if again we'll get one movie out of these characters and then the reset button is hit yet again?
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

To be fair, I think quite a few will agree the previous film from a few years ago didn't deserve to be a flop. It wasn't perfect, but they did a good job fleshing out the characterization of the gang of heroes, there was some fun moments and while it did take a while to get to the action it was fun when it happened, and I enjoyed the new spin on Rita. Also, making Alpha-5 not just a generic mascot character to tolerate but a legit fun character is impressive.

But yeah, a reboot does feel like it will do even lower in the box office as movie go-ers will wonder why to bother if the previous continuity only got a single movie so why bother seeing this one if again we'll get one movie out of these characters and then the reset button is hit yet again?

Frankly I think to much time in the movie was spent going through the motions of convincing the kids to become Power Rangers. It would have been better to start the movie with the team already formed either for a few weeks or months.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
... I actually liked the movie that came out a few years ago. I was kind of curious to see where they would go, especially after they named dropped Tommy at the very end.

I feel like if they are going to reboot Power Rangers again then give us the dark and gritty reboot that like that fan made video a couple of years ago.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Another reboot? I thought there was going to be a sequel, but...oh well. There's still Aftershock and a fan can dream. Sad

I dunno if Hasbro will market this film correctly as I heard most of their other franchises started to get treated badly because they put all their focus on the ponies (that series got worse over time). Rolling Eyes

And if Michael Bay is hired, then I'm opting out. He's already ruined my interest in Transformers.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
If the money and casting wasn't such a nightmare I would totally be for them attempting Shattered Grid. I think that would be perfect for a reboot.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
The 2017 Power Rangers movie was a fine movie but it's biggest problem was a lack of marketing for it and the bad merchandise they did for the movie with a lot of poorly made toys. I also don't think it helped releasing it one week after the live action BATB. An SPD movie wouldn't work because the general audience isn't familiar with them. I think they could easily skip ahead to the second generation with Lord Zedd and Rocky, Adam, and Aisha and make a movie around those Rangers and just have it explained off screen that the old Rangers retired after defeating Rita or something. This new movie sounds like it's going to be a parody of 90s pop culture than an actual straight forward Power Rangers movie and I'm not sure I like that idea.
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
I just imagined them getting Michael Bay for this.

How unfortunate. If anything, plot holes and deus ex machina are his speciality.

And just terribly placed music. 6 Underground was a terrific disaster of a boy hero's dream patched together with testosterone.

Last edited by Sobe on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
Why are people bringing up Michael Bay? They already have a director lined up for it. The director is Jonathan Entwistle.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:05 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This new movie sounds like it's going to be a parody of 90s pop culture than an actual straight forward Power Rangers movie and I'm not sure I like that idea.

That would actually be a way better direction to go imo. Power Rangers is only known as being a 90s pop culture thing and the franchise lost all its popularity and momentum after Mighty Morphin. They should embrace that. Nobody should be taking Power Rangers seriously, especially not to the level the Lionsgate movie tried to by trying to make them the next MCU. Make it the American version of Akibaranger.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:40 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why are people bringing up Michael Bay? They already have a director lined up for it. The director is Jonathan Entwistle.

Well since Michael Bay did the Transformers movies for Hasbro, they seem to think that he will also do Power Rangers but need to realize that Power Rangers is more of a Saban series that Hasbro bought rather than a Hasbro created series like Transformers, G.I. Joe and My Little Pony.

But when the article is already mentioning a Director, then yes I agree on why bring up another Director just because Hasbro has worked with him before. Maybe he can do a My Little Pony reboot. Rolling Eyes
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote
They reboot faster than Spider-man, respect. The last one wasn´t bad btw.

The End of the F***ing World (S01 is based on a comic) is good btw. We´ll see. I have no horse in the race here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2