• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MangaGamer Releases Grisaia Game Trilogy, Apologizes for Incorrectly Listing No Mosaics

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiharuTan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Any reason why MangaGamer isn't credited as a "video game and visual novel translation company," too? MG doesn't just do game distribution.
Blueno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah how dare you MG! Nobody wants to see dem goodies exposed ever... So nobody ever.

Last edited by Blueno on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
And it keeps going. lol

VN's are really done in the west. Almost everything that's getting brought over is suffering censorship and then you add the whole Steam/Sony debacle... pff
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
is there an uncensored version out there though?
I got the Grisaia english edition box yesterday and they still have the mosaics, i could care less, but after spending around 340 bucks(including shipping) for it from j list, id expect the definitive version of it, if it existed.
MiharuTan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
I got the Grisaia english edition box yesterday and they still have the mosaics, i could care less, but after spending around 340 bucks(including shipping) for it from j list, id expect the definitive version of it, if it existed.

The assets clearly exist, considering MangaGamer received uncensored PR materials. Sounds like FW just doesn't want to fork it over for one reason or another.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
MiharuTan wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:

The assets clearly exist, considering MangaGamer received uncensored PR materials. Sounds like FW just doesn't want to fork it over for one reason or another.

That seems to be the case, but I couldn't begin to guess why. I think I remember an article here that interviewed some eroge artists and developers, and it sounded like they make the uncensored version, save that, and then add mosaics. I suppose there could be some situations where a company thought there was no chance their game would be sold outside Japan so they didn't bother keeping a version without mosaics, but that wouldn't make a lot of sense since things can be save digitally.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
The Grisaia releases have been a mess. Weren't we supposed to get Vita ports as well?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
And it keeps going. lol

VN's are really done in the west. Almost everything that's getting brought over is suffering censorship and then you add the whole Steam/Sony debacle... pff

This has nothing to do with censorship as the game has only ever had mosaics in all of its releases. As one of the people who bought the game a 2nd time when MG announced the non-mosaic (then had to get a refund) they clarified that it was due to "contractual obligations." Most likely because they have existing contracts with Sekai and other companies to distribute the mosaic version and thus cannot sign a new contract to distribute the non-mosaic version without updating the old contracts.

Either way I hope Frontwing sorts it out as they clearly have the uncensored assets.
MiharuTan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
MiharuTan wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:

That seems to be the case, but I couldn't begin to guess why. I think I remember an article here that interviewed some eroge artists and developers, and it sounded like they make the uncensored version, save that, and then add mosaics. I suppose there could be some situations where a company thought there was no chance their game would be sold outside Japan so they didn't bother keeping a version without mosaics, but that wouldn't make a lot of sense since things can be save digitally.

Yeah, both scenarios have happened and MG has mentioned as much at their panels and online when discussing those uncensored assets.

I wonder what FW's deal is? It would be hilarious if Sekai Project didn't get the uncensored materials for their original release due to some miscommunication (which FW appears to be good at), or FW being too lazy. Both seem plausible.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
MiharuTan wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:

It is odd then, its not like you cant tell what it is with Mosaics Razz this, Ef and now Love's sweet garnish are the only three Vns i got from mangagamer/jast/denpasoft that had mosaics added, unless im going all nukige i honestly dont care if its a story drive game.
MiharuTan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
And it keeps going. lol

This has nothing to do with censorship as the game has only ever had mosaics in all of its releases. As one of the people who bought the game a 2nd time when MG announced the non-mosaic (then had to get a refund) they clarified that it was due to "contractual obligations." Most likely because they have existing contracts with Sekai and other companies to distribute the mosaic version and thus cannot sign a new contract to distribute the non-mosaic version without updating the old contracts.

Either way I hope Frontwing sorts it out as they clearly have the uncensored assets.

I don't know if this "existing contract" business is entirely accurate. FW themselves announced on Steam back in December that their contract with SP expired and all five Grisaia games-Fruit, Labyrinth, Eden, Magical Chiru Part 1 & 2-would all be transferred to Frontwing International.

Granted, it could be an issue between FW and FW International, but that doesn't seem *as* likely.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
MG isn't perfect (some of their releases have been subpar and their translation/programming speeds could be faster), but I appreciate how they generally try to be transparent and fix issues as fast as possible.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
The whole situation surrounding this VN from the beginning with Sekai to now with MangaGamer has been a bit of a cluster f*ck. They had a KS to bring a physical of the Grisaia Trilogy to the west that suffered from delays and other "issues". But before all is said and done Frontwing cut ties with Sekai and decide to do their own independent release. Can't imagine the KS supporters were very pleased to learn about that.

In regards to mosaics I remember one of the rumours circulating was that the assets were "lost". Apparently Sekai said that FW gave them the uncensored CG's but they accidentally "lost" them somehow. If true though I don't see what would have been so difficult about getting in contact with FW and asking for them again.

Tbh the whole debacle is open-season for conspiracy theories because the reasoning behind why it's so hard to get this VN uncensored seem ridiculous. FW happily remove mosaics for their En releases now so there should be no issues with them.

To MGs credit at least they're actively trying to do something about it, which is more than can be said about certain other distributors. People are actually willing to buy the trilogy again with the promise of no mosaics, so you'd think it was in FWs interest to get their act together.

Sadly common sense never seems to apply to these situations. Rolling Eyes
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Some Japanese companies are afraid of legal retribution for distributing uncensored versions of their games. Not sure if that's the case here or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1