• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Honjitsu Watashi wa Enjō Shimashita Manga Cancelled Due to Online Controversy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
This is getting annoying. I understand that sometimes things you've done in thther past comes back to haunt u, but seriously!?!? His comment was made all the way back in 2012 that was 6 years ago! People change over a long time. I don't condone his words but this recent record of people digging up people's past comments just to get them fired or something is really getting on my nerves.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Reminder to delete your twitter account before becoming famous and make another one after your debut.

Or rather, Reminder to not have a social media account when you become famous.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
This is getting annoying. I understand that sometimes things you've done in thther past comes back to haunt u, but seriously!?!? His comment was made all the way back in 2012 that was 6 years ago! People change over a long time. I don't condone his words but this recent record of people digging up people's past comments just to get them fired or something is really getting on my nerves.

Indeed. If people are to cry controversy for something a manga-ka puts on Twitter or in the manga years back to where a series cancellation is decided, dozens of popular titles would have been cancelled. Why are they taking offense now?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Seriously. And even if you do hold disgusting views like that, maybe don't post them on a publicly-viewable forum for the world to see. I have absolutely no sympathy for people who are that pants-on-head stupid.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Truly when life imitates art…or art imitates life…or both…

But really, when is everyone going to learn that posting on social media (and not on a private setting, though even that can be overcome by a screenshot) is the same as shouting something out loud in a crowd of people? You can't be shocked when someone either notices/sees what you say, takes record of it, and/or are upset or offended by it. And if you're going pro in any field, either use a brand-new account, delete the old one (or just anything potentially troublesome), or use unconnected aliases, if possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to know if the manga itself actually had disparaging comments against any group of people. The isekai series that got cancelled had lots of racism inherent in the premise, and I think that made the decision to cancel it more palatable for many.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
This is getting annoying. I understand that sometimes things you've done in thther past comes back to haunt u, but seriously!?!? His comment was made all the way back in 2012 that was 6 years ago!

Did you not read the part where, after taking a break from Twitter during most of July, the mangaka unleashed a massive angry tweetstorm this past Thursday?
Mistaken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
it's official. everyone online is bloody stupid.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

Maybe I'm misreading this, but "as early as 2012" means the multiple comments began in 2012 and...well, the article doesn't say how recent the last comment was. This isn't like the recent James Gunn incident where his jokes ended on 2012 (before Disney even hired him) and he even had apologized for said jokes back then (again, before Disney hired him) which made Disney firing him really bad as they're basically saying, "hey, no matter how much you try to change, you will always be judged by who you used to be." That's a rather problematic stance, not to mention completely contradicts the messages in plenty of their films (be it Disney, Marvel, or Star Wars).

Also, while Gunn's jokes are available to read online so one can judge for themselves how bad they are, we don't know, as far as I can tell, what this author's racist comments were exactly. So the firing may have been within reason. I certainly agree with the decision to fire Roseanne as her comment was extremely racist and she has proven she isn't sorry about it (and has since tried to twist the narrative by claiming she was fired for supporting the US President and for being Jewish, as opposed to the obvious fact that she said something blatantly racist).
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:

Maybe I'm misreading this, but "as early as 2012" means the multiple comments began in 2012 and...well, the article doesn't say how recent the last comment was. This isn't like the recent James Gunn incident where his jokes ended on 2012 (before Disney even hired him) and he even had apologized for said jokes back then (again, before Disney hired him) which made Disney firing him really bad as they're basically saying, "hey, no matter how much you try to change, you will always be judged by who you used to be." That's a rather problematic stance, not to mention completely contradicts the messages in plenty of their films (be it Disney, Marvel, or Star Wars).

Also, while Gunn's jokes are available to read online so one can judge for themselves how bad they are, we don't know, as far as I can tell, what this author's racist comments were exactly. So the firing may have been within reason. I certainly agree with the decision to fire Roseanne as her comment was extremely racist and she has proven she isn't sorry about it (and has since tried to twist the narrative by claiming she was fired for supporting the US President and for being Jewish, as opposed to the obvious fact that she said something blatantly racist).

Oh. I never knew that. I thought it was similar. I mean, i get it, don't post stupid things online or be bigoted and racist. I don't condone that at all. I never thought he continued those threats even recently (thanks to the other commenter who pointed that out to me!!) I thought it was similar to that Marvel director though. I mean if u did some stupid things in the past but u never ssod them again then whatever. But if u continue to do that it's just arrogant. I'm sorry if i seemed ignorant to the information.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Can someone just please watch Avenue Q, or just listen to the song "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist"?
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I've never even heard of the manga and now I guess I never will. But seriously, this happens every other day; a person whining about being attacked/having their career ruined for derogatory comments said in the past and it gets old. First of all the internet is forever. Whatever you post will float around for eternity. Second, why do people love to use the excuse "it happened xxx amount of years ago" like that's supposed to make it better? Once a racist always a racist. And if you weren't a racist to begin with such remarks should've never been said. Hence why they're biting you in the a*s now. Plus I'm more sad for fans of this manga than I am the artist
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
That’s why you have to be careful on the internet when you have a job.

Or if you're ever going to have a job. So, y'know, if you are a person who exists, you have to avoid ever saying anything on the internet that could be seen as unacceptable at some time in the future. If you were young and naive, something horrible just happened in your life, doesn't matter, no second chances. And you'd better make sure none of your old accounts get hacked or anything. And you need to do all these things retroactively, before anyone knew this sort of thing would start happening.

I don't mean to defend racism, or whatever this person said, but the court of public opinion is an extremely fickle thing, and the internet is giving it an ever-increasing amount of power. People have lost their jobs over Twitter rampages started by completely accidental offensive comments. This type of situation gives people no opportunity to defend themselves, or apologize, before the internet mob makes its judgment. The worst part is that it's hard to say what we could do about this, short of shutting down social media, and that certainly isn't going to happen.

I certainly don't want terrible people to be successful, but I mean... these sorts of internet controversies don't actually prevent that. Yeah, sometimes the writer of some third-rate manga will get in trouble. But people with a lot of real-world clout and power are mostly immune to internet attacks over skeletons in the closet, even if they completely deserve it. I'm sure you can think of a few examples of that, if you know anything about, say, recent American politics. Instead, what's happening is that average people have to walk on eggshells so they won't get in trouble with whatever corporation they depend on to survive, and if they do end up getting in trouble, they're most likely going to double down on whatever their offensive beliefs are because they're angry at the unfairness of the whole thing. (And it is unfair, just not quite for the reasons they think.) Leading to... recent American politics.

Again, for emphasis: Racism is bad. However, it's not, like, a genetic disorder. It can be unlearned. I don't know how best to solve this problem, because it's, y'know, thousands of years old. But mining Twitter for old racist brain farts isn't helping. It's probably making it worse.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
Can't the manga editors (as a company of the manga titles) just ban the mangaka (pro or rookie) from ever posting anything on any form of social medias???
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
"A manga about a girl who likes to cause online controversies is now cancelled due to an online controversy"

that's one hell of a headline. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3