• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Director Osamu Yamasaki Discusses Anime Industry's Working Conditions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Love of the craft & no real alternatives to use their skills.
Sayuri Lapis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know about this issue until the controversy of Dragon Ball Super ep 5. It's really nice to see these animators live off their love of doing this but they need more money for themselves to spend on. I can't even believe they have to pay a desk fee Sad
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
While I'm of the belief that the anime industry is faring better than ever before in regards of an abundance of shows being churned out every year, I do agree with Mr. Yamasaki-san that some areas of it need serious changes for improvement of working conditions and a more stable payout.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Maybe the anime industry needs to create a new business model," Yamasaki says.

Now there's the understatement of the decade.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Animators you da real mvp.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
It's worth noting that, according to other sources, that animator who was complaining about the wages at PA Works(justified, still, of course) was getting room and board paid for. When you factor that in, roughly $600 for miscellaneous expenses is really not as dire as it sounds. Still bad, and things need to be improved, but it does at least make it seem more feasible as a wage.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

not having other alternatives to use their skills is not a valid point when they can make 50% more yearly by doing minimal wage for only 8 hours 5 days a week in any non qualified job that pay them for hour and not for drawn page. whether as cleaning job, or cashier at a convenience store. it might be dull, but it is safe and relaxing compared to doing 10 + hours daily
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
that explains some recent hollywood adaptations being churned out...
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

not having other alternatives to use their skills is not a valid point when they can make 50% more yearly by doing minimal wage for only 8 hours 5 days a week in any non qualified job that pay them for hour and not for drawn page. whether as cleaning job, or cashier at a convenience store. it might be dull, but it is safe and relaxing compared to doing 10 + hours daily

They should get a job as a security guard or something where they basically just sit on their ass all day and use the time to do their animation. lol
(yes, I know this is ridiculous, it just came to me because in my area there are a lot of college kids doing security guard work and simultaneously doing their homework and other things.)
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
This problem derives from low sales, and low sales derives from Japanese piracy. The western side of things is a little different with legal streaming services, but don't forget Japanese online content is in its infancy. I personally think that if they just accepted digital media in full they could afford to pay the animators more.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
"for the vast majority of anime most of the staff is not affected by revenue"

There is not a problem with industry sales, but rather how profits are earned and distributed.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
This problem derives from low sales, and low sales derives from Japanese piracy. The western side of things is a little different with legal streaming services, but don't forget Japanese online content is in its infancy. I personally think that if they just accepted digital media in full they could afford to pay the animators more.

you're opening a whole new can of worms with that argument... but anyways, at the end of the day anime is still a niche hobby outside of Japan and that alone makes it being more affected by piracy, but given the current generation and the fact they're targeting China much more now, it should be much better in some ways
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
Holo Wolfgod wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:

you're opening a whole new can of worms with that argument... but anyways, at the end of the day anime is still a niche hobby outside of Japan and that alone makes it being more affected by piracy, but given the current generation and the fact they're targeting China much more now, it should be much better in some ways

Not talking about western piracy. No can of worms here. There's a reason Japan's enlisted piracy experts.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

If they were willing to do that, they wouldn't be an animator in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
Anime will not die, because it's massive. If this business model were to vanish, something else would fill the void.
It's entirely possible that there might stop being so many 12-episode anime TV series, but there will still be light novels, comics - not just black-and-white manga, but full color ones, maybe even slightly animated ones - audio dramas, picture dramas, and games, etc. All of that can probably allow artists to make a better living than this. The final product won't be as "complete", though, at least not in the view of someone used to full-out-"anime". And if someone's trying to be an animator in a studio, it's probably because they're interested in making the sort of art you need a whole studio to make, not just a manga.

The other issue is how little of this media, other than anime TV series, gets translated. There's such a perfect system for simulcasting TV anime that I feel like all of the other media that are part of the anime ecosystem get even more ignored. In Japan, TV anime is barely half of it. You could watch all of the the TV anime, and go into a Japanese anime shop, and not recognize half the characters - including Miku et al. in the half you recognize. Ensemble Stars, Yume100, and now this 22/7 thing... stuff like that is already more popular than most TV anime now. Not to mention all the TV anime that aren't complete stories, but the LNs, manga, etc. don't get translated. This is why you'll see K in every issue of Spoon 2Di - Japanese fans have read Lost Small World, English fans haven't, so they don't have the full story (unless they make an anime of it, which they need to, but that's beside the point).
If TV anime die, the anime/otaku ecosystem in Japan won't collapse, but English fans will likely be cut off from what's left, unless things change on that level.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2