• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga's Kimagure Orange Road Kickstarter Funds 1st Omnibus Volume

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
That's good to hear, but it still ends 3(ish) times that amount to complete the series. I hope it gets there, or at close enough to pull in those that were waiting until the whole series was guaranteed before backing.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
Good to see that they've made their initial goal. Now I hope that enough people will back it so the whole series will be in print...and then I'll pledge. Laughing
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Good to see that they've made their initial goal. Now I hope that enough people will back it so the whole series will be in print...and then I'll pledge. Laughing

You should pledge now, then if they haven't met the final stretch goal by the end of the Kickstarter, cancel. That's what I'm doing.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

It's this kind of mentality that means we can't have nice things.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
I pledged right away when this KS started. Izumi Matsumoto is a very sweet man, so I'm inclined to support him.

I would like to see this marketed to countries where KOR was popular, such as Italy, and of course, Japan. They would probably more inclined to supporting the higher tiers as well. Matsumoto's sketches still sell high on Mandarake auction.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

In general I agree (support what you like so that it can keep getting made!), but when the publisher in question has a low rate of finishing things they start (and seemingly can now only keep making books by raising the funds on Kickstarter first), I think it's fair to hold out until you have reason to expect they'll finish—or at least provide more than a small sampling of the series.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
In general I agree (support what you like so that it can keep getting made!), but when the publisher in question has a low rate of finishing things they start (and seemingly can now only keep making books by raising the funds on Kickstarter first), I think it's fair to hold out until you have reason to expect they'll finish—or at least provide more than a small sampling of the series.

Their recent yaoi manga releases have not been crowdfunded. Their Project H stuff has also been (mostly) released without crowdfunding either.

Having supported a couple of DMP's Kickstarters, my thought is that it really depends on who is running that campaign. If it's the same person that ran both the Finder and Tyrant yaoi Kickstarters, you'll get what you paid for, they're very responsive to questions and they keep you informed. If it's the one who did the Tezuka stuff..meh.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Hawkmonger wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I'm with you. I've been waiting to see if they'll finish Henneko (with no sign of the next volume coming out and my attempts at contacting them on the matter going unanswered), I'm thinking they're not.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how accurate this site is, but KickTraq currently predicts this campaign will reach about $268k. So basically well over what's needed for all 6 volumes. Even if it underperforms by 50% that's still enough for all six.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/digitalmanga/publish-kimagure-orange-road-classic-manga/
katscradle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope this campaign works out for people. KOR is a classic. But, even with the first goal met I don’t think I want to be along for the ride. I am very skeptical of their plans to have KOR delivered by the end of the year. To me maybe one volume is reasonable in that time frame but, not the six omnibuses if funded. Not if it’s suppose to be the quality DMI is promising. Also I’ve yet to see what the quality of the revised editions of DMG titles that have or, are going to print is.

From experience of pledging in some of their previous Kickstarters… while Digital Manga boasts about their frequent updates and prompt notification about any issues it was clear there was an over extension on the Tezuka campaigns. The last three suffered from poor communication, incorrect backer surveys being sent out, and late rewards. Now, Kristine who is the brand manager for Juné is awesome. She knows her stuff and even goes so far as to work on weekends and holidays during a campaign. So people backing the BL Kickstarters get a very different experience despite it still being the same company in the end.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
kats: DMP already has the manga scanned. So it's just a matter of enlarging it for the books. As for the failed Tezuka Kickstarters, it was a case of the company simply picking titles which fans didn't want. They've been pretty successful with crowdfunding his stuff overall, though.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
You should pledge now, then if they haven't met the final stretch goal by the end of the Kickstarter, cancel. That's what I'm doing.

Personally, I don't find much purpose in doing this myself. The only way they'll get me pledging is once they've hit the final volumes milestone.

Hawkmonger wrote:

My money, I'll use it how I please. If I had a real connection to KOR, like maybe owning the anime, then I'd just throw money down. Since KOR is only a series I know by reputation, and I've never read any of the manga or seen any of the anime, I'll hold out to see if they reach the final volumes stretch goal.

I'm certainly not going to be giving money to a publisher, where they might not ever end up releasing the whole series in print. And, while I know that the manga is available digitally...I've no interest in digital manga. Either it's all in print and in my hands, or I just take my money elsewhere.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ok, only about $15 thousand to go for KOR's second goal.
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
DMP already has the manga scanned. So it's just a matter of enlarging it for the books.

Digital Manga has said they are “re-translating, re-editing, and re-lettering this classic series for new digital and print editions” though.

I just got my new copy of Crime and Punishment today. DMI had estimated 4 months for fulfillment on the campaign it was a part of. Instead it took almost 7 months to start shipping out to backers from the time the campaign closed. I haven’t gone through the entire new edition of C&P yet, but already there are a lot of differences vs. the DMG edition. (One thing I’m not happy about is it’s suggested as mature 18+ seinen on the back cover and the forward about the work being a reworking for younger readers is missing. That age rating is ridiculous.)

So still Digital Manga delivering 500+ pages for each KOR omnibus at a better quality than previously released on the schedule they’ve suggested seems quite a task to me. Especially with con season starting up in full swing which apparently caused disruptions last time too.

Of course I would love it if I’m wrong and the KOR campaign goes smashingly.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Quote:
So still Digital Manga delivering 500+ pages for each KOR omnibus at a better quality than previously released on the schedule they’ve suggested seems quite a task to me.

I want the series in print. If it takes Digital Manga a bit longer than estimated, I'll just wait. It is not as though anyone else was clamoring to do it. As long as they get out the volumes they funded eventually it doesn't matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2