• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SD gundam: the worst anime ever?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
thanks to my post of finding a list of top anime i chked this site list. wow! sd was th worst anime ever?

personally i only seen 1 episode and didn't like it at all never watched again. but i was wow'ed to see that others thought the same. i thought it was just me and a few others!

but i want to ask what makes this the worst anime ever? too many anime cliches? bad animation style? crappy dub? care to talk about it?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
but i want to ask what makes this the worst anime ever? too many anime cliches? bad animation style? crappy dub? care to talk about it?

It's simple. People can't accept that some anime are aimed at children. Seriously, if you think about it, what are the most common candidates among anime fans for "worst show ever?" They're kids' shows. Or at least the more blatant kids' shows of the medium. Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Beyblade, Zoids, etc. And when you tell someone that Naruto or Dragon Ball or Fullmetal Alchemist was aimed at a younger audience, they get vehemently defensive because they refuse to believe they like kids' shows.

For its intended audience, SD Gundam Force (be specific, people, SD Gundam has been around as a parody series and model kit line for longer than most of you have been alive) is not that bad of a show. A little more patronizing, perhaps, but not a bad show for the little ones. It's just Bandai breeding up the next generation of Gundam fans, and they weren't looking for our approval to do so. Bandai sees three separate age brackets within the Gundam fandom they can sell to, so they do so. The young tykes get SD Gundam Force, elementary and middle school kids get SEED, and college students & adults that grew up with the original still have Universal Century sidestories like MS IGLOO. Don't like SD Force? Aim higher on the age ladder instead of picking on it for not being what it was never supposed to be in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

It's simple. People can't accept that some anime are aimed at children. Seriously, if you think about it, what are the most common candidates among anime fans for "worst show ever?" They're kids' shows. Or at least the more blatant kids' shows of the medium. Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Beyblade, Zoids, etc. And when you tell someone that Naruto or Dragon Ball or Fullmetal Alchemist was aimed at a younger audience, they get vehemently defensive because they refuse to believe they like kids' shows.

For its intended audience, SD Gundam Force (be specific, people, SD Gundam has been around as a parody series and model kit line for longer than most of you have been alive) is not that bad of a show. A little more patronizing, perhaps, but not a bad show for the little ones. It's just Bandai breeding up the next generation of Gundam fans, and they weren't looking for our approval to do so. Bandai sees three separate age brackets within the Gundam fandom they can sell to, so they do so. The young tykes get SD Gundam Force, elementary and middle school kids get SEED, and college students & adults that grew up with the original still have Universal Century sidestories like MS IGLOO. Don't like SD Force? Aim higher on the age ladder instead of picking on it for not being what it was never supposed to be in the first place.

i understand. thanks nagi! you always seem on top of things. also i noticed your location Laughing cool.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I use to watch it when I was 11. But I don't find it a bad cartoon today. I think the reason why people voted it the worst anime ever is because of it's whimsicle and young style and that they wanted a more mature Gundam, not a kiddish one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I was never into SD Gundam(Could be because I grew up with Gundam Wing, my favorite of the Gundams) but the reason I rated it "Worst Ever" isn't because it's kiddy I just don't like series like that. The only kid's show I do still like is Ed Edd n Eddy and that's because the jokes can even be understood by adults and it never looked down on kids. Went a little off topic there. Where was I? I also don't see why shows like Yu-Gi-Oh! get so much hate towards them. Yeah, Yu-GI-Oh! isn't the best anime but to me, it IS a good one. Shows like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! Aren't expected to be taken seriously, they're just there for people to enjoy. Yet when shows like Naruto and Avatar are called "kiddy", people get pissy about it and make morons out of themselves when what they don't understand is that shows like Naruto and Avatar ARE kiddy and ARE meant for kids. Why else would the closest thing to a suggestive thing would be Naruto as a naked girl whose parts are covered by white clouds? Oh that's right. Because in America, Stuff like naked people and violence=Not suitable for children. But in Japan, it's not a big deal and it isn't. Hell, little kids in Japan are probably watching hentai while kids here are watching Barney and Blue's Clues or whatever these kids today watch. Truly sad Crying or Very sad .

@Nagisa. I disagree about FMA being a kid's show. There's a lot of stuff in FMA that parents wouldn't like. Such as religious themes, suggestive themes(Like spoiler[Hohenheim and Trisha in bed, naked together(No sex though).Or Wrath naked.], and dark themes. Don't forget that FMA also has more explicit violence than Naruto and Dragonball Z(And DBZ'z the king of violence) and has a plot a lot of kids these days wouldn't get. I think it's more along the lines of a show for teenagers. But that's just me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
dont forget Hamtaro, Hamtaro was a kid show and nobody i know liked it, but i Liked it and it wasnt that bad, i mean its a show about Hamsters and their adventures, and they did that farely well.........and the point of that is that Kids shows are rated low because of exactly what Nagisa put and thats just wrong, if its aimed at the little ones, think like a kid while watching, thats all you have to do to realize that its not that bad. Same with SD Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
Hell, little kids in Japan are probably watching hentai while kids here are watching Barney and Blue's Clues or whatever these kids today watch. Truly sad Crying or Very sad .

Shocked Could this be true. Because those naughty hentai games get Z (18+) ratings by a Japanese game-rating company called the CERO.

After that, he wrote:
@Nagisa. I disagree about FMA being a kid's show. There's a lot of stuff in FMA that parents wouldn't like. Such as religious themes, suggestive themes(Like spoiler[Hohenheim and Trisha in bed, naked together(No sex though).Or Wrath naked.], and dark themes. Don't forget that FMA also has more explicit violence than Naruto and Dragonball Z(And DBZ'z the king of violence) and has a plot a lot of kids these days wouldn't get. I think it's more along the lines of a show for teenagers. But that's just me.

For once, I agree. I was confused when Nagisa said "young audiance". It was hard to tell whether he was referring to children or teenagers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
@Nagisa. I disagree about FMA being a kid's show.

It was put in a timeslot historically reserved for elementary/middle schoolers' shows, much of its merchandising was aimed young, and dark themes do not equate to mature audiences. After all, Gundam SEED featured themes of ethnic violence just like Fullmetal Alchemist, featured gore and sexual content arguably surpassing that of Fullmetal Alchemist, and yet its target audience? Ten-year olds.

An above-par show with heady themes worthy of consideration? Yes. Enjoyable to older audiences? Yes. But the signs do all point to a younger intended audience than many will willingly admit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
SD Gundam Force has nothing on Hanoka, which is truly the worst cartoon I've ever had the displeasure of watching. The episodes themselves are only five minutes long, but the OP is the usual two minute long song. This leaves only about three minutes for the actual show; and what a terrible show it is. There's no plot summary for it in the encyclopedia yet, but it's basically about an ugly little girl who's supposedly the ultimate weapon against humanity. I didn’t bother to follow it through all the way to the end, but what I saw reminded me of an unbearably bad flash version of Saikano. Judged on its own the animation takes the cake for the crappiest looking contemporary anime, but it's admittedly above average for a flash cartoon.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
That's funny because I bought a 5 SD Gundam Model Kits; RX-78 GP02A, Shenlong/Deathscythe 2 Pack, MSN- 02 Zeong, and AMX-002 Neue Ziel. For $5, and $8 Combo pack I couldn't refuse.

So you talking about the Superior Defender Gundam Force show? Well I did watch all of it's dub, still wasn't there a second season never aired in English? If so that's kind of sad, then agian Bandai maybe trying to market both Season 2 and Gundam SEED Destiny to Channels...
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
SD Gundam Force has nothing on Hanoka, which is truly the worst cartoon I've ever had the displeasure of watching. The episodes themselves are only five minutes long, but the OP is the usual two minute long song. This leaves only about three minutes for the actual show; and what a terrible show it is. There's no plot summary for it in the encyclopedia yet, but it's basically about an ugly little girl who's supposedly the ultimate weapon against humanity. I didn’t bother to follow it through all the way to the end, but what I saw reminded me of an unbearably bad flash version of Saikano. Judged on its own the animation takes the cake for the crappiest looking contemporary anime, but it's admittedly above average for a flash cartoon.

WOWOWO!!! this show is done completely with FLASH, animation, like you said, so in order to do all the flashy stuff they do in it they cant really make the characters all super highly detailed, unless your the people that did that Flyswatter flash BUt they only did one thing (well multiple, but no time limit and not really connected) while Honoka is a series, its not half bad for a 5-7 minute Flash show and it has a plot, like every other anime. The only Flash series with animation that beats it would be Fosters Home for Imaginary friends, but they dont really do all the action fantasy stuff Honoka does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Canuckian wrote:
So you talking about the Superior Defender Gundam Force show?

Is that what the SD stood for?! I was informed that it stood for "Super Deformed". That was always in the product description whenever I'd browse an online site for model kits. I never did build an SD model kit though. I was more of a 1/100 scale Endless Walts, G Gundam, Gundam X, and Gundam SEED model-builder....

I never did like SD Gundam; I thought it was just a joke. Just 52 episodes of pure joke. It makes so much more sense now that I know that it was a kids' show. The atmosphere, the designs, etc. Thanks for that tidbit, Nagi.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Is that what the SD stood for?! I was informed that it stood for "Super Deformed". That was always in the product description whenever I'd browse an online site for model kits.

The original SD line and parody anime did take "SD" to mean "Super Deformed." SD Gundam Force, however, was a marked change in the direction of the SD Gundam entity, as well as its major break into the US market, so the "SD" was changed to mean something else for Force.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
all signs point to Yes
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Well despite the fact that I cound't stand to watch SD Gundam Force, I would reserve the "Worst Ever" ranking for shows that fall short in technical areas, in addition to being dreadfully uninteresting.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2