• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Winter 2016 Anime Season.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Since some fall shows have started to wrap up, I thought we could start discussing the stuff we're looking forward to from the Winter season.

Season charts

http://anichart.net/winter

https://www.livechart.me/winter-2016/tv

As usual, let's get the sequels out of the way: Akagami no Shirayukihime 2, Assassination Classroom 2, the last cour of Durarara!! and Fairy Tail Zero (not sure if it'll be a complete series or if it will air as part of the main series). I'm pretty excited about all of them, since they're all from series I thoroughly enjoyed. I think AssClass is the one I'm most excited about, with my feelings for DRRR being partly super excited and partly in denial about this being the end of the story. I'm wary about FTZ because I'm really hating the anime adaptation, the colors look so dead and awful and they're dragging everything so much, so I don't know what to expect about that one.

Definitely watching:

Ajin: I must confess that I'm mostly attracted by the cover of the manga volumes, the art and design looks amazing. I'm certainly not excited at all about the CGI style, but I'll have to live with it, I guess.

Prince of Stride: This has a lot of potential to be terrible and dumb, but I'm mostly in it for the good-looking guys doing weird sports thingies. It's by Madhouse, so at least I can hope for great animation

Showa Genroku: As a History major, basically every historical anime is interesting to me. The premise at least sounds unique and interesting, so I have high hopes for this one.

Will check out:

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi: For some reason I still have hopes for noitaminA, even if they have turned out nothing but stinkers for more than a year. I think the last noitaminA show I watched through completion was Your Lie in April, and I didn't even like it because of how it ended being spoiler[abuse apologetic in regards to Kousei's mom]. But anyway, I still hope this bloc will one day find its way back to its ancient glory, so I'll at least give this one a chance. Crossing my fingers so I don't end dropping it by episode 2 like I've done with the last three noitaminA shows.

Dimension W: This'll be my blind pick based solely on the Key Visual, it looks cool and an adult protagonist is at least worth checking out

Norn9: It's a reverse harem, so I guess I'll give it a chance, even if the premise doesn't sound that interesting. At least it doesn't sound like Amnesia/Diabolik Lovers. If it's as ridiculously entertaining as Dance with Devils I'll be satisfied

Nijiiro Days: I'm in it for the pretty boys and little more to be honest. If the comedy isn't good I'll probably drop it really fast.

May check out (if the reviews and reactions are good)

HaruChika: I fell out of love with P.A. Works after Glasslip, but if it gets good comments I'll check it out. For some reason I'm still willing to give music-related series a chance

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar:
This sounds and looks like a harmless generic fantasy adventure. If it gets good comments I think I'll give it a shot

Although there's more series I'm interested in, there isn't much that I'm suuuper excited about. I have high hopes for Ajin and Showa Genroku and am really looking forward to AssClass and DRRR, but the rest is just like... "sounds like I may like it so why not". We won't know until it comes, but compared to last year's winter, this one doesn't look as strong, at least for now
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll attempt a list of 'will watch' again, but with the Fall Season I was so horribly wrong in what I eventually watched (and didn't watch)... it was almost the opposite of what I expected really.

BUT

Every season is a new chance!

Will check out:

Look, we have Snow White with the Red Hair 2!
I have high hopes for that one. I'll be able to just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. I hope to see more of Snow White's past.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: I long for a good josei. It's been too long. Also: loving historical anime.

Will probably check out:

Ajin: Agreed with Crowlia. It looks awesome. The big black eerie ghostlike thing in the back of the picture looks like something every good horror series must have.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi: Hope this Noitamina show's good.

Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hakkei: Psycho Pass & Gundam combined? I have no idea. I only see a varied cast without any reall cliches in my face. Also, probably action. I might like.

Dagashi Kashi: I like slice of life comedies without too many cute characters.

Maybe/might:

Dimension W: It looks cool. However, the explanation looks like this show will suffer from technobabble and loose ends.

Haruchika – Haruta & Chika (TV): Might be incredibly dull, but it looks like a set of normal characters in a slice of life setting. Who knows it might be interesting.

Will someday marathon together with previous seasons: Assassination classroom and Durarara!!.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Durarara and Shirayuki sequels are absolute definites for me....others...I'm not sure of yet.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:04 am Reply with quote
looks like its already that time again. Man this season feels like it went by fast. I guess that's just because this was really good season for me. Thankfully this season looks like it will be pretty good too.

Definitely following:

As far as sequels go I've got Assassination Classroom and Gate to return to. Assclass was one of my favorites from the season with its great sense of humor so ill be really looking forward to it. Gate was an okish show for me and I won't mind returning to it.

Kono Subarashii Sekai - This LN manages to consistently have me laughing out loud. I look forward to seeing how the comedy holds up once you know the jokes ahead of time. Hopefully visuals will add to the comedy nicely.

Grimgar - As a pretty realistic take on the whole "transported to fantasy world" thing I find this really interesting. After all I imagine that surviving in that sort of world would actually be difficult for most people. Though describing a fantasy world as realistic still just doesn't feel right to me. Laughing

Probably following:

Four Rhythm - Not sure what to expect here honestly. I'm interested in the VN itself since its by the same people as Koichoco but that anime adaptation didn't really stick with me much. If the "Wings of Courage" song is anything to go by ill at least really love the music.

Haruchika, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, and Ajin - Fall might have been a bust when it came to mystery shows but it looks like ill have another 3 that I can hopefully look forward to. Out of them all Ajin is the one that most interests me based on the setting. They probably can't be worse mysteries than last seasons...right?

Might follow:

Bahamut - I've read this ones LN but im pretty eh on it. Its just too bog standard and its not done all that well either IMO. I've honestly been considering just dropping the source and probably will but ill at least give the adaptation a chance in case its visually interesting.

Looks like there is also a LOT of different action shows this season that ill be checking. None of them are really grabbing me with their descriptions but considering the sheer volume of them all surely at least a few of them will stick. Otherwise it will be a bit slower of a season than I initially thought.

Special mention:

Phantasy Star Online 2 - So seriously does anyone actually expect this to be good? Because I sure as hell don't. I'm almost positive ill hate this which is a damn shame because I love the game. The whole setting seemingly being about people who play pso2 is just...ugh. Hell it doesn't look like any of the npcs from the game will appear either (except Quna) which is also a damn shame. Anime Lisa alone might have carried the show for me. On the bright side I can totally ignore it past the first episode without being bothered since its an original story with original characters and I don't need to feel obligated to watch.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
Erased: Neat concept. Trailer looks nice. Good writer and competent director. This one looks like it could definitely be a winner.

Dimension W: Looks cool. Solid staff. I've heard good things about the source material. Seems solid all around.

Grimgar: Pretty conventional premise but some pretty nice visuals. Great backgrounds especially. I've heard generally good things about this too.

Showa Genroku: This is kinda a wild card. A historically set josei drama isn't exactly my usual cup of tea but it isn't something that I immediately dislike either. Who knows. Worth looking at.

Prince of Stride: On the one hand, the last few years have steadily eroded my belief that otome games are in any way more tolerable than male oriented VNs. On the other hand, this one does at least have an interesting premise that makes it sound like there will be *something* more to this show. And it's Madhouse for whatever that's worth.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Returning hits: Assassination Classroom, Durarara!!, Teekyu, Haikyu.

The only new thing I'm immediately interested in is Ajin, which sounds like a neat premise and people won't shut up about it so I'll probably take a look. I'll probably try Active Raid since it sounds interesting but I don't know enough about it to have high hopes.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Now that I have a Crunchyroll subscription I am considering watching 1-2 new shows as they come out so I can participate in discussions about them. Up till now I mostly watched older shows on physical media.

I have not really studied all the new releases but I am interested in seeing Erased, and since it has been licensed by AoA owning it on physical media will be costly so watching it CR definitely makes sense.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
More Blood Iron Orphans, will probably try Phantasy Star Online 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1