• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds Rizelmine, Guardian Hearts, Chocolate Cosmos, CLAMP School Detectives, Saber Ma

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
More Viz Select manga........ Ugh
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Why can't they release some of these in print? Sure, there's some titles no one probably cares about having back in print, but c'mon, not even Future Diary? Where we were only two print vols from the end? Please? And they've done other ex-TP titles in print before (Maid Sama, Loveless, Deadman Wonderland) so c'mon, man!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Why can't they release some of these in print? Sure, there's some titles no one probably cares about having back in print, but c'mon, not even Future Diary? Where we were only two print vols from the end? Please? And they've done other ex-TP titles in print before (Maid Sama, Loveless, Deadman Wonderland) so c'mon, man!

The most basic answers are rights issues, finding what will sell, and other costs.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Nowhere was it said that these can't get print releases later. Apparently, they just didn't feel they're financially viable in print right off the bat.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand of Yen's "Digital First" initiative, is that it's easier to get the rights to the digital editions, and then they go after the print rights based on how well they do. I'm assuming this is a similar case, especially with many of these being license rescues.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Ha, when I saw Rizelmine in the title, thought that someone had picked up the anime...then my hopes were dashed.

I am wondering though, since I don't keep track of digital manga (print is my preference), have there been many digital first series Viz has then gone on and printed?

I also would like to own Future Diary. But, I've also seen people mention that Viz hasn't gone on and translated anything beyond the original release for some manga...that true?
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
One Punch Man is the big one I can think of. I don't know any other Digital Firsts for Viz, it's mainly a Yen thing.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll retranslate Saber Marionette, because wasn't Tokyopop's version heavily localized?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
One Punch Man is the big one I can think of. I don't know any other Digital Firsts for Viz, it's mainly a Yen thing.

I just realised...I collect a Viz series that was digital first (at least I think it was?) in Nisekoi. Laughing

I guess it might be best to narrow it down to just those titles that they have licensed rescued, rather than those series that are actually new to the NA market.

And I still wonder if they will actually finish off those incomplete series they have grabbed for digital release. I mean, they've had Future Diary for awhile now, and volume 9 has a December 2014 release date. TP released up until 10, I believe, but doesn't look like Viz are in any hurry to release more of that one. Sadly.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
Meh, Viz could publish CLAMP School Detectives in print. But at least this leaves open the possibility that Dark Horse can still do it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
1) They're not saying that they won't release it in print, it's just a digital title at the moment
2) You'll be waiting a while for Dark Horse, since Viz would have to sell them the rights or have them lapse. I've never seen one company get print and another digital, with the exception of Crunchyroll's digital titles, which are generally a partnership with the print company, since they don't print their own.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Hopefully they'll retranslate Saber Marionette, because wasn't Tokyopop's version heavily localized?

Not sure, but wouldn't be surprised considering that company gained infamy for there localizations.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I would have to read it again to be sure, but I do not remember it being localized.
Actually, I do not remember anything that might be localized, considering that it is obviously, and necessarily, set on a different planet.
They did not change the place, Japoness, or the names, such as Otaru and Hanagata.
The only thing that I can think of is that they did translate and re-letter some signs, such as "Keep off the grass" and "History Museum." But I do not think that there was much of that.

Why do you think that it was localized?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
This is a surprise. Didn't think I'd hear the SMJ franchise mentioned again. But then I did mention that all we need now is for someone to pick it up and introduce it to new fans. But this is a start.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
This is a surprise. Didn't think I'd hear the SMJ franchise mentioned again. But then I did mention that all we need now is for someone to pick it up and introduce it to new fans. But this is a start.

It would also help if the re-intro of Saber Marionette J would eventually encourage new fans to watch the anime show of it, old and, eventually, new. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1