• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Offers New Dub for 1985 Vampire Hunter D Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the deal with the Streamline dub is? Maybe the original masters are lost or the legal rights to it are in a tangle.
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Not all streamline dubs are in limbo. The Cagilostro DVD/Blu has the original "wolf" dub. I wonder if it's something Sentai decided not to pursue?

Pity, if it had the old Streamline dub, I might have grabbed the disc purely out of nostalgia sake. Now. . . . if I need it to fill up a TRSI order over 50 bucks and it's on sale. . . .
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I wonder what the deal with the Streamline dub is? Maybe the original masters are lost or the legal rights to it are in a tangle.

It's often just a case of wanting a more accurate script. I don't know exactly how close the Streamline dub followed the original Japanese, but heavy rewrites were pretty common back in the day.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful, I hate Streamline Dubs so this is a welcome change. this is like when they re-dubbed Akira for those of us not equipped with nostalgia earphones for the first dub.
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Wonderful, I hate Streamline Dubs so this is a welcome change. this is like when they re-dubbed Akira for those of us not equipped with nostalgia earphones for the first dub.

See, that's the beauty of DVD - multiple audio tracks. Do a brand new, more accurate (or whatever) dub for the purists and throw the old dubs on for the folks who like the old work. That way EVERYONE wins.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
See, I really like the Streamline dub of VHD. And if memories severs me right it wasn't all that far off from the subs. I still have the Urban Vision DVD, I guess I'll just be holding on to that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
They probably wanted a 5.1 dub for the Blu-ray
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

It's a Sentai dub though so there's a good chance it won't be much of an improvement. Hopefully they actually attempt to do decent casting instead of pointing at whoever happens to be in the recording room.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

See, that's the beauty of DVD - multiple audio tracks. Do a brand new, more accurate (or whatever) dub for the purists and throw the old dubs on for the folks who like the old work. That way EVERYONE wins.

Yes they did that with Akira, well the BD version.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

It's a Sentai dub though so there's a good chance it won't be much of an improvement. Hopefully they actually attempt to do decent casting instead of pointing at whoever happens to be in the recording room.

True there not the best for dubs, but there are some good ones out there, the one for Un-Go was very good. I would really like to see Crispin Freeman as D, it just seems like the sort of character he would voice.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
True there not the best for dubs, but there are some good ones out there, the one for Un-Go was very good. I would really like to see Crispin Freeman as D, it just seems like the sort of character he would voice.

I really don't want Crispin Freeman anywhere near D. He doesn't really do the soft spoken bishonen types all that well I think. He did a great Alucard in Hellsing, but this is an entirely different Dracula.

I do want Liam O'Brien as Left Hand though.

Emerje
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Will they be adding the original dub along with the new one? I'd buy this if that's the case.
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:

And boom goes the gunfire Rolling Eyes. This is the studio that was able to make a great redub of Grave of the Fireflies along with bringing majority of the Gatchaman cast from god knows where to do the OVA's. Sure that's the magic of Steven Foster and Charles Campbell. But overall the rest go by the book on casting, just like the rest.

I'd go with David Matranga. Or if they wanna be risky, get Illich Guardiola.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
"offers new dub"... When reading the headline, I thought that that meant that ADV was going to provide a choice between the Streamline dub, their new dub, and the original seiyuu in the audio tracks... It's not like it said "ADV replaces Streamline dub..." up there.

I have no preference for the old dub or a new one, and I don't know what the original Japanese audio sounds like, either. I may have been watching anime since 1991, but I still have yet to get around to watching VHD. I read the first several novels as they were released by Dark Horse, and I bought the Bloodlust R1 DVD not long after it was released (but still have yet to watch it because I haven't watched the original ^^; ).

It's nice to know who has the license for the film, at least... ^_^
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Dont know why there dubbing this again when they can dub some of those slice of life animes they got
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3