• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime predicting the future?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Okay I was watching discovery channel and This show called Cyborg came on.
I was like w/e
As I watched I thought what they were doing mimiked anime.
The first tested it on a monkey. The put a cyber chip in a moinkey and there was a mechanical arm. The monkey would think to use the arm to feed itself and thearm would move and feed the monkey!
The they tested it on a paralyzed man. The man was paralyzed from neck down. They put a chip in his head. The chip was connected with the computer. There was a pointer on the computer and if her thought about it he could move it. and they had him drawing circles and stuff on the computer!!

I saw this and the first thing i thought was Ghost in the shell.

Then they went on how they could make a full metal arm and connect it to your body and have a chip in your head and the arm.

Then I though Full Metal Alchemist.

Did anyone else see this show?, Or find this story wierd?

Has any one else had the feeling some new discovery or type of invention had anything to do with anime?
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I thought there was already a thread started about this but I can't really remember. Anyways I saw this same program on T.V. two weeks ago or so and yes I thought the same thing when I saw it. I also saw a History channel documentry on advanced armor about a year ago and then a follow up on that a few months ago where new bullet proof armor was being made lighter and lighter and at the same time doubleing its durabilty and "stopping" power. New materials being produced in Japan are being used in American soldiers body armor and even the UK has made a brand new line in body armor that will protect for puncture blow from knives and such and bullets. I watch programs on the history channel and science channel and I'm constantly amazed about the progress technology has made. For those who don't have the History channel they do have a website. A man who was paralyzed from the waste down had a plug surgicly placed in his head and he was then able to control his cursor and eventually they thing he will be able to surf the internet just by thinking about it. Razz I think that alot of inventions in futuristic anime will effect are real life inventions as long as they are with in the realm of possibility. Alot of scientists get there ideas from the shows they watch like when they talked about how Star Trek effected the scientific community. Wink
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Canuckian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Transformers the Movie, predicting that Transformers would be around 2005 and beyond!
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
It's not unbelievably-great-and-exciting-news that scientific advancements seem to derive its sources from works of fiction. For a lot of cases, it's fact. A lot of inventions (Do your own research) were results of the hard work of scientists who sought to make reality the works of imaginations from the media, from sci-fi books to sci-fi movies. Predicting the future? More like a preview of the inevitable future (That is of course, if it's physically possible).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Yet in Japan Tetsuwan Atom's birthday was celebrated back in 2003.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote
It's hardly a new concept and isn't even new in the anime realm. Such things have been in fictional works of literature since the 19th century. Fiction and advancements are pretty much the same, they require someone to dream it up, only difference is someone writes about it in fiction and someone actually tries to create it in advancements. Some concepts, like this, simply aren't rare because they are such practical ideas. Anime didn't really predict the future though, it just explored the potential for a popular idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1