• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girl Who Leapt Through Space DVD.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Saw volume one of this title in Best Buy. Liked the series and was thinking of buying it, even though it is only on DVD and a sub. Read Erin's review and read some comments on it.

Lot of people complained that none of the picture dramas were on it, but the biggest complaint is that Bandai used the broadcast version for the American release, and not the DVD version that is sold in Japan. Not sure if a Blu-Ray version was sold in Japan or not.

Since Erin made no mention of it, (she might not have known, I didn't), I was wondering if this was true, that the American release is only the broadcast version, and not the DVD version.

If this was the case, was DVD version polished up as the Japanese are prone to do with the retail version?
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
This is what Bandai Ent said during the AX panel (Q&A):

17:58:54 <bay> Q: Girl lept through space TV version? A: Those are the masters we got
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Not sure if a Blu-Ray version was sold in Japan or not.
There was a 9-volume blu-ray release in Japan.
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
Its a pretty good series with a little bit of everything. I am waiting for all the vols to come out in the states and IM planmning on buying them to replace my bootleg version. Usually I hate Bandai because they charge 30$ per volumn, but at rightstuff, I dont mind paying 15-17$ per volumn.

The broadcast version is still pretty good. Theres really not that much wrong with it considering its only going to be sub only. I wouldn't really read to much into it unless you are really hardcore about it. Fact of the matter is, Id rather get a worse quality version than paying 80-90$ per volumn on a pristine version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1