• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Under the Dog Update Offers A Cool Behind-the-Scenes Glimpse of Animation Process

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
lol ok, even as a hobbyist animator i can safely say that i have a hell of a lot to learn about still. I read that multiple times and still don't fully understand it. Glad they are detailing info about the process and i hope they do more. Interesting stuff.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
@ Daichi383:

UGH, the time sheets! Laughing

Actually a lot of what was explained in that post was what I was taught in art college. Although I always found the use of time/exposure sheets to be really tricky and never fully got the hang of it (and I still have a hell of a lot to learn myself), especially when you had to juggle with multiple layers in a single scene. I've been told that animation is the least spontaneous art form and that's pretty much due to how much timing is a factor in animation. The more you proceed into the production pipeline, the more you have to micromanage timing whatever scenes of the project you're working on, often times right down to the fraction of a second.

That's why animation can be pretty tedious.
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ Daichi383:

UGH, the time sheets! Laughing

Actually a lot of what was explained in that post was what I was taught in art college. Although I always found the use of time/exposure sheets to be really tricky and never fully got the hang of it (and I still have a hell of a lot to learn myself), especially when you had to juggle with multiple layers in a single scene. I've been told that animation is the least spontaneous art form and that's pretty much due to how much timing is a factor in animation. The more you proceed into the production pipeline, the more you have to micromanage timing whatever scenes of the project you're working on, often times right down to the fraction of a second.

That's why animation can be pretty tedious.

True dat. I'm used to working with multiple layers and such but planning all that beforehand with keys and layer placement and key placement would be too much for me. It would take me way too long to learn so i just go second by second and change up layer placement and such on the fly. Of course as someone who isn't working professionally and who only uses flash this is pretty simple to get to grips with there but with pen and paper and scanning, oh man ... Confused
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
@ Daichi383:

Yeah, I hear ya. Though I guess when I constantly heard how everything these days either has been or is being moved to digital, I couldn't help but feel attached to the idea of learning to animate using pencil, paper, a peg and a light disc in college. It was tedious as hell at times, but I couldn't help but keep trying with it.

The funny thing is the first time I owned Flash and tinkered with it was when I got CS3 along with a new computer (it wasn't at all a bundle kind of thing though) during latter high school. But oddly enough, I never once used Flash in college. Aside from pencil and paper, I mostly used Photoshop and After Effects (the latter being a steep learning curve since I was trying that for the first time when learning about digital composition). I hardly tried anything on Flash since, so I probably would be really rusty with it now.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
the article wrote:
The post not only guides readers through how to read a time sheet, but gives examples from Under the Dog, showing a scene where Althea fires her gun.

I believe her name is "Anthea", not "Althea".

This is easy for me to remember because "Anthea" is my mother's name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Very cool. The process of animation (especially hand drawn) is very intriguing to me. Although honestly I've realized that I'd never actually have the patience to work in that field. I've always been in awe of the idea of it and I love learning more about it, but I guess I'm just not the right person to have that kind of career. And stop motion is even more tedious!

And that my friends is why I currently have no idea what I want to do with my future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1