• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do animes stray from the original manga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakuharu23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The majority of people I know, when asked about a certain anime, usually say, "I liked it, but the manga is better," When reffering to an anime that they liked and have read the manga. Why do anime plots stray from the manga?

Some reasons I understand like that the manga was a little too controversal so they tones down the blood and sex or the manga was too long and not worth adapting the whole thing, but sometimes they just change them for no reason. Like FMA or Sailor Moon. I just wanted to know why.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Usually because an episode of the anime covers several chapters of the manga, so they end up running out of source material.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Think about it this way: If you had already read a manga counterpart of a certain series, and that series was identical in every way to the manga in terms of storyline, how high would your incentive be to see this series? Wouldn't it be better to see something fresh and new out of the series that was never in the manga? I think that's what some series' directors had in mind when they deviated the series from the manga the it was adapted from.

I think another reason is just to avoid ever making filler, and going on their own path as a result.
sakuharu23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Think about it this way: If you had already read a manga counterpart of a certain series, and that series was identical in every way to the manga in terms of storyline, how high would your incentive be to see this series? Wouldn't it be better to see something fresh and new out of the series that was never in the manga? I think that's what some series' directors had in mind when they deviated the series from the manga the it was adapted from.

I think another reason is just to avoid ever making filler, and going on their own path as a result.

I sopose that makes sense, but don't you usually the prefer the plot of a manga to the anime? The anime is good, but the manga is usually better.
sakuharu23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Usually because an episode of the anime covers several chapters of the manga, so they end up running out of source material.

What about fillers? They're a pain, but I would prefer them over a total alternate path for the story.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
sakuharu23 wrote:
sopose that makes sense, but don't you usually the prefer the plot of a manga to the anime?

In the few instances where I have seen complete deviation in series from their source material (FMA, and a few others), no, not really. The FMA anime is considered to be somewhat darker in tone and more "philosophical", while the manga remains a shounen-esque story.

I usually prefer the manga storyline over that of its anime adaptation when the anime is either left with an inconclusive storyline or has condensed certain parts in order to fit a preset number of episodes. Or when there's too much filler.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes it is just so that one doesn't spoil the other, or peraps to give you a bit more for your money if you buy both versions. CLAMP anime often vary from the manga yet (to take two examples I'm aware of) Ohkawa was involved in the script for most of CCS and wrote the first and last episodes for Chobits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes things are created anime-only just to make it different from the manga. Happens in lots of series. It also may be to soften down the content, or just because it's another version story.

Example spoiler[Captain Tsubasa. In the manga the main character has a girlfriend and ends up married even. In the anime, Tsubasa (the main character) and Sanae (his girlfriend/wife in the manga) are just friends even though Sanae's feelings for the Soccer Dude are far too obvious]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
The sad thing is, if everything was word for word, action for action, scene for scene like the source somebody would complain it's too simmilliar too or wouldn't want to watch it because they already know what happens. It's the old "The book is always better than the movie" scenario. Sometimes said changes work in the films/series favor and sometime they just don't.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Basically it's like trying to adapt the entire Lord of the Rings series into the movies that they made. If you tried doing that, you'd have these anime that would be 5-10 seasons long, and people would stop watching if they did that.
HarlockJC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Have you seen any comic book movies yet?
Let me see Dr Doom was maried to Sue storm?
Batman was trained by Ra Al? come on
It happens they have to change it to make it appeal to everyone....The Hulk was nevermind not going there..... It not allways to the better...
Hey I have an idea lets forget 40 years of Star Trek and make new movie based on a young Kirk....

I am a very angry man.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:12 am Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
Example spoiler[Captain Tsubasa. In the manga the main character has a girlfriend and ends up married even. In the anime, Tsubasa (the main character) and Sanae (his girlfriend/wife in the manga) are just friends even though Sanae's feelings for the Soccer Dude are far too obvious]
Why should anyone read this spoiler? What series is it for?

Main reasons:
1) lack of source material, anime catches up to manga and must either end, go on hiatus, go to filler, or create an alternate storyline.

2) Anime meant to be a different story from the beginning

3) Anime meant to serve as promotional tool for manga and inspire curiosity about the manga source material

4) Dramatic and storytelling considerations--for instance, the Fruits Basket anime incorporates events and characters from volumes 7 and 8 of the manga, but ends with events from volume 6, because the v. 6 events provide a much more powerful conclusion for a series than the sidestory / secondary character parts of vv. 7-8.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:21 am Reply with quote
Also there are many times when the anime is made before the manga is finished and thus at a point the anime is going to have to deviate, in order to actually have an ending.

However, I disagree with the idea that making something exactly the same would make someone not want to watch/read a series. One of my favourite series, Fushigi Yuugi, does almost that and I still love both the anime and the manga. I think there are enough differences in just the medium itself to make them both enjoyable, even if the story is essentially the same.

THE MEDIUM IS THE MESSAGE! Razz
Nomigid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
If all it was, that they ran out of material, I would ask the Manga writer, how he/she thinks the story is going to progress, then do the Anime that way.
Manga-Anime are not the only things that suffer from this problem, how many times have you read a good book, but when they make a movie out of it, the movie is totally screwed-up?
Cloud43514

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
some animes start off comepletely different from the manga original. the Black Cat manga, for example, starts with the main characters knowing each other and working together for two years before the series opens, but the anime starts with them not even ever meeting before the series starts, though there are some scenes that are similar to the other format. animes with different stories don't always start the same in both formats, but that is the more common method of getting an anime with a different story to the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2