• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
interview with Steven Jay Blum (david lucas )

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulgerman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Voice Actor "Steven Jay Blum" is Spike from Cowboy Beebop

Synopsis - Voice actor Steven Jay Blum, has portrayed in Digimon, Cowboy Beebop and presently believed to have done the voice for Goku in the anime movie Midnight eye. We were very fortunate to contact Steven, with a chain mail of requests we finally got a succesful lead. He was also generous enough to spend a few hours answering our questions. Thanks Steve.

Question -What inspired you the most to take on vocal roles?

Steven - Actually, I do it naturally. I have always loved mimicking voices and/or goofing on dialects and vocal affectations. I fell into it by accident and somethin' stuck! It's a lot of fun to be several different people (or whatever) every day!

Question - Did you start out as by doing impressions? Do mirrors help with lip sync and expression?

Steven - My first year or two I was never even asked to do impressions. Just to be monsters or myself... wait, that didn't sound too good. Oh God! I am a monster!! Impressions came a lot later and I don't generally do a lot of that. There are a lot of folks out there that specialize in that sort of work. I never thought to use a mirror. Since virtually all of my work is created off camera, the only reason I could think of to use a mirror would be to monitor how ridiculous I look while trying to get some of the insane stuff out of my throat
for the gig. I'd think it'd just make me self-conscious.

Question - You portray several "Digimon" throughout the series, however it also states you have written some episodes. How did you fall into voicing and writing for the series?

Steven - Two completely different animals. I had voiced the entire season two before I got the gig writing for season three. I had to audition for the shows like everyone else (vocally) and submit writing samples and résumé in more of a corporate fashion for the writing job.

Question - I contacted you Steven, because you took the lead role in one of my favorite anime, many may remember you from Digimon and Cowboy Beebop, however some may have never seen Goku : The Midnight Eye. How were you hired to voice Goku and the other characters you play in the other animation movies I had mentioned? Were you originally casted to play "Goku"?

Steven - Dude, You may hate me for this, but I don't remember doing that show and have never seen it. I voice sometimes up to 15 different shows per week in every media imaginable and have a lousy memory anyway. You sure it was me?

Question - Steve you voiced Goku perfectly, however when you received the translation from the Japanese version, did you ever in your mind say how can anyone take this guy seriously? The most memorable quotes from that movie are as follows to explain what I mean. "Neither you or anyone else can deceive my all-seeing left eye." "My left eye is a supercomputer.I can control all of the computers in the world, if I wanted to I could cause opposite countries to fire their nuclear missiles at each other and start
World war 3."

Steven - Like I said, sorry, but I don't remember that role. Generally speaking, tho, I try not to second guess the writers and/or directors. Somebody must take it seriously if it's getting produced!

Question - An anime site http://www.guthwulf.com/anime/japanese/gokueye.html " caught my attention whilst researching for this interview, the author seemed so unhappy with the movie, I thought it would be interesting if you provide us your conclusion on his thoughts? Do you think he has a point or is he going over the top?

Steven - Since I haven't seen it, I can't comment, but at least it got reviewed! He's absolutely entitled to his opinion.

Question - In the game Full throttle you take on the character Sid. You have also been involved in the Jedi games. I am told they are making sequels to these two games, have you been contacted?

Steven - Nope, not yet. I just recently did a bunch of Hutts for one of the Star Wars games, but I don't remember if it's a Jedi sequel.

Question - Can you tell us a little bit more about the video game called "The Dig", I always wanted to play it but I never got round to it. It is a sci-fi story right? What was your role as.Ludger Brink & Cocytan Leader?

Steven - One of my first big games! I loved that show. Brink was a conniving a-hole with a German accent. I played opposite Robert Patrick (Terminator two) and most of it was arrogant space banter as we searched for power crystals on an asteroid. One of my favorite characters! Honestly I don't remember the Cocytan leader. Probably just my basic barking orders schmo.

Question - In your entire career which characters' required the least effort and which needed the most to portray corectly? Which is your favorite to play?

Steven - Spike Spiegel, Spike Spiegel and Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop the Movie). He's closest to my natural voice, so most lines were easy, but when he had to get vulnerable - it took some serious internal digging to get the right performance. The single most difficult thing for me is to convey intense emotion subtly. It's easy to moan and wail to show pain, but to do it with only nuance is really tricky. I loved playing Spike because of his complexity. Many characters pose a challenge physically, but the ones that touch me and test me emotionally and mentally actually help me to grow as a performer and as a person.

Question - Did you ever turn down a role?

Steven - Yup. Lots. There are a lot of great shows out there that could or would not work under a union contract. It broke my heart not to work on some of them, but thems the rules.

Question - You must have worked with a variety of different people, which ones did you like and dislike? Who would you want to work with in the future?

Steven - will be a gentleman and not reveal those I don't like, but on the whole... most folks I've worked with are fun in their own ways. My favorite producer?

Steven - Yutaka Maseba (Rezonance, ZRO Limit), He has been a great friend to me since the very beginning. He and Kevin Seymore (Animaze) saw something in me in the early years that I never expected to evolve like it has. The great thing is that I still work with them after all these years and every time I do, it feels like home. Everyone from Digimon (the list is too long!), the guys at oonami, Collette Sunderman (Scooby Doo, Lowbrow), Margaret Tang (Crash Bandicoot, Pitfall), Kris Zimmerman (Tons 'o games and animation!), Everybody at LucasArts, BangZoom Ent.... As far as actors go... most of the time I'm alone in the booth, but there are so many incredible ones that I have worked with, I wouldn't know where to start!

Question - Have you ever been recognised by any of the public?

Steven - It doesn't happen often and I like it that way. Precisely why I steer clear of on-camera work.

Question - Aside from acting and writing what interests do you pursue? Are you an anime fan? Is that why you voice many anime movies, have you seen the ones you starred in, if so what did you think of them?

Steven - Lately, I haven't had time to do much of anything else! Sure like to go fishing right now, tho! I play guitar, hand percussion (drum circle type stuff), travel, play. I haven't seen most of my work and am not a particularly huge fan of anime. I suppose I just understand it and respect it enough to do a decent job... but I do love animation in general. I go to G-rated movies by myself all the time!

Question - What will the next project be about? Have you been contacted for an upcoming movie in 2004? Are you happy writing for the Digimon series, or would you like to take on a sci-fi / thriller movie or series?

Steven - As far as I know, Digimon is done forever. Right now, I'm writing for MegaMan NT Warrior for kid's WB and voicing everything imaginable. Sci-fi / thriller? Sure! Done lots of it! Bring it on!

Question - Is there anything you would like to add?

Steven - Just a big hearty thank you for giving me a vehicle to say hi to the fans. I deeply appreciate you guys and I'm glad to be of service! Keep watchin'!!

Love and peace, Steve

here is the link http://www.klba06722.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/interview_Steven_Jay_Blum.html
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least he chose not to insult our intelligence this time by pretending that he doesn't do non-union stuff under the table using the pseudonym "David Lucas", he just skated around the issue entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
paulgerman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:19 pm Reply with quote
did he work in Goku : The Midnight Eye or was his friend david lucas ?
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:30 am Reply with quote
uhh apperenly he dosent know.... like how would you not know what u have done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:34 am Reply with quote
many voice actors forget past works... it's quite common because they are normally not otaku themselves and think of it as "just a job"
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:46 am Reply with quote
Indeed.... plus the sheer amount of work makes it a bit difficult to go through. It's work, and even those who are fans of anime will have to look back and think about the projects that they worked on. (Crispin Freeman is an excellent example of this)

If you are constantly busy doing a certain work, even enjoying what you do, it doesn't mean you can remember every last detail. It would be like asking me if I remember what it was like working with "Mr. X" co-worker or supervisor. I'm in a work environment where I think I've dealt with 15-20 supervisors over the past 6+ years, and probably 400-500 different co-workers. I've worked on a number of teams and done a few projects here and there. Some things will stand out for me, but if you asked me some questions of some things, I'd have to scratch my head and shrug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Well, at least he chose not to insult our intelligence this time by pretending that he doesn't do non-union stuff under the table using the pseudonym "David Lucas", he just skated around the issue entirely.

It's not so much "insulting our intelligence" as it is saving his butt. Taking up non-union jobs is a no-no for SAG members, and I think it's the least we could do to just ignore it and go along with him.

Especially considering how talented he is and everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Yea those are good points, but I still find it hard to belive that he would just forget about something like that. I mean every job I have, I remeber the names of the people I worked with, my boss's name etc. I guess I can understand if he is working on multiple products each day, like does a couple hours of one then go off to another. Well the only way to figure it out would be to ask him myself I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:19 am Reply with quote
someone should try to throw him off by asking something like: "A Lot people compare your style to that of David Lucas. what do you think about this?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1