• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime, Japanese DVDs, and Bootlegs.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
In the "Hey, Answerman!" section this week, Answerman touched on Bootlegs and why they're bad for the anime industry.

Considering Region Coding is still around, does he REALLY expect me (or anyone) to buy and import a DVD capable of playing Japanese DVDs to watch select anime (Region 2 I believe) and then proceed to find said DVDs and import them as well?

My personal view on bootlegs is that they are indeed, bad, but as long as region coding exists spending another 80 bucks on something you already have is, for me at least, too much to bare.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
Considering Region Coding is still around, does he REALLY expect me (or anyone) to buy and import a DVD capable of playing Japanese DVDs to watch select anime (Region 2 I believe) and then proceed to find said DVDs and import them as well?

If you consider yourself a big fan of a Japanese show that isn't going to be released in the States, that's exactly what you should do. You don't need to import an all-region DVD player; in fact, you can just buy a really cheap domestic one and and there's a way you can alter them to play all regions. I don't own many R2 DVDs, but I do have a handful of titles I really love and will never see a R1 release (1001 Nights, Mind Game, Princess Arete, the Grasshoppa! series, and a few others). There's really no good reason I can think of not to import an R2 anime title you love, especially if the Japanese release has English subs. They're pricey, but it's worth it. Much better than getting a bootleg, which is the worst thing anyone can do (I'm in middle ground as far as fansubs are concerned).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I've seen region free DVD players sold at anime specialty shops for about ten dollars.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
If you have DVD playing software on your computer, then you can install a program that allows you to play all regions of DVDs. I forget the name of it, but it's quite useful when dealing with situations like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1