• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
how is raxephon compared to evangelion?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:43 pm Reply with quote
i liked eva so what is raxephon(sp) like compared to eva? is it funny sometimes?
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:08 pm Reply with quote
that's an interesting question... and one I'm wondering as well. Especially since this morning when I was browsing through the local futureshop, and saw raxephon... "wait a minute, this looks like eva" was the first thing I said.

From the artwork on boxes and quick read of back cover, it seems kinda interesting, but like spike said... how do they compare?
kodochafan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:22 pm Reply with quote
So far I've only seen several episodes a while back, and while it's not a blatant rip-off, it certainly has many similarities with Eva. The main and supporting characters do not quite have the depth and personality of the Eva cast though; there's also less lighthearted moments like in Eva. There are also a lot of similarities in plot and the way the story unfolds, as some of the episodes deal with Ayato fighting of alien invaders (similar to Angels). The plot also appears to be very deep, and there's a lot of unanswered questions where I'm at. The animation and music are very well done.

So it's fairly interesting but I was not as riveted as I was when watching Eva, but it's hard to give a fair score of this series having not seen the whole thing.
Kyo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I have seen both series, Evangelion and RahXephon, straight thru and I must say I did not see any similarity whatsoever. They are both wonderful shows in their own ways, though.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Kyo wrote:
I have seen both series, Evangelion and RahXephon, straight thru and I must say I did not see any similarity whatsoever. They are both wonderful shows in their own ways, though.

Yeah. Most of the similarities are rather superficial and could be applied to almost any sci-fi series. The only things comparable are the mecha designs and secretive military organizations fighting alien invaders.
Daimonwrath

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Well If your asking if one better than the other I would say that Rahxephon is stepping in the light of shadow. I have seen both series through and I think that Rahxephon was extremely convoluted in plot and story. If you want to talk action both series do have their own justices. For me Rahxephon had stand alone episodes that I enjoyed way better than others. where as Evangelion I enjoyed as a whole despite teh ending. Rahxephon's story does wrap up a little better though. I usually am very selective on my mecha anime however so titles I would recommend are Big O, Getter Robo, and the Vandread series.

Okay laters.

D.W.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
space clam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I liked RahXephon better for a couple reasons. The plot is a little convoluted, but if you can follow it easily, it's very rewarding. Its formula is similar to that of Eva: Main theme is characters themselves, developed by catalytic medium of giant robot fights. (Although this formula is true of many good sci-fi's.) I liked RahXephon's animation better, though not to say it was better than Eva's. Of course, it didn't have the Eva jitter, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:40 pm Reply with quote
so it's worth renting, possibly buying later? (I desperatly need something new to watch)
gnollman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I call RahXephon a renter, Eva a buyer...
nvspike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:26 pm Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:
I call RahXephon a renter, Eva a buyer...

Funny, I'd call them both buys. But then I rented Eva and bought RahXephon. And I thought Rah was a better deal even after that.

You should enjoy them both.
trigunner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen a few subbed episodes, but I think it does qualify as a buyer.

Edit: My spelling sucks doesn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:58 am Reply with quote
I have yet to finish the show (damn deepdiscountdvd and their lack of speed) but I am about half way trough it.

I agree that it is not as light-hearted in the beginning as Eva but I don't think it will pull a 180 in the middle of the show either. Not being directed by a controversial director prone to nervous breakdowns, I think that the story will wrap up nicely at the end without any plot holes.

Although Eva and RahXephon both have mecha and are very mysterious, the similarities stop there. The mecha designs in RahXephon are very imaginative and artistic and I enjoy them a lot. Overall from what I've seen so far, RahXephon is a very deep and visually beautiful show. So I would say that even if the show pulls an Eva, and loses interest in the story by the end, it would still definitely be worth buying. I can already tell that this will a show that I will watch many times in the future.

Last edited by kamiboy on Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:34 am Reply with quote
All I have to say is the ending of RahXephon is probably my favorite ending to just about anything. Up there with Cowboy Bebop's ending.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:33 pm Reply with quote
To best sum it up, I'll quote a friend of mine.

The characters in Eva are effectively an emotional response.

They are meant to make you feel something very specific rather than an event from the show, or the plot making you feel something.

As such, if you can't connect with the characters from Eva, you may enjoy the drama to a point, but it won't have the hold on you like it does for others. And I don't think there will be a question regarding that much of what is done in Eva circles around the human psyche.

On that end, I think that RahXephon is better written and enjoyed it more than Eva. It's definetly a keeper in my book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kyosuke-sama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I read a review in Protoculture #76 [I think] that said Ra does whatever EVA does ten times better. One of the staff writers I work with says it's a lot darker in tone than EVA but I haven't seen it so can't comment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3