• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Assassin Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how to search this, so I'll just ask.
Anyone know of good assassin/underground hitman style animes? Noir got me obsessed with assassins and the only other series' I've been able to find on my own along the same lines are Madlax and Gunslinger Girl, both of which are quite good by the way.
Even if its not 'realistic' like these mentioned ones, just something that focuses on hired killers. I get a thrill out of the whole living the in shadows, assigned to take people out theme.
So what else is there besides the three I've mentioned?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
You might want to check out Phantom the Animation. It's an OVA based on a PC game that might do you some good. Though from what I heard from other people, you should get the OVA that comes with the actual game (thank you Media Blasters for including both Very Happy).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
Try Knight Hunters (Weiss Kreuz). I've enjoyed it. Four guys (yes, they are pretty Embarassed ) who work in a flower shop by day but at night...they kill for Justice.

anime#254

There is a sequel - Knight Hunters Eternity it wasn't bad up until the ending. I hated what they did to my favorite of the characters so that sort of ruined my enjoyment of the series.

anime#1822

Hope you find something that you like.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
If you are over 18 and okay with hentai then Kite would be a perfect choice for you. It has one of the most sad endings I've seen, and the entire plot was not revealed until near the end. You'd feel "wait a minute! That's (...) from (...)! Aha, so that's why..." Everything was answered in the end. Yasuomi Umetsu's art style is also fantastic (particularly with female lead's eyes; I was almost drawn in by her stares). No wonder it earned an A+ (now who was the reviewer?).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Well the only one I can think of is Burst Angel, Its about this group of bounty hunter chicks that work for the Japanese syndicate. I thought it was pretty awsome.

anime#3560
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
If you are over 18 and okay with hentai then Kite would be a perfect choice for you.

I read the review, and several descriptions from other sites and some retail descriptions. Is it a hentai because of violence only, because I haven't seen anything about sex? However I did see it called uber-gory, so is it just for that it is adult?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
saikori

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
You might like Black Cat. I have only seen a few episodes myself but so far I really like it and it has a Noir feel too it to.
It's from Gonzo and the artwork is gorgeous. It is about a secret assassin's guild known as CHRONOS. The main character is Train and he's known as the 13th killer. Perhaps someone can fill in more info as I have only seen a few of the first episodes but it sounds to be close to what your looking for.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I read the review, and several descriptions from other sites and some retail descriptions. Is it a hentai because of violence only, because I haven't seen anything about sex? However I did see it called uber-gory, so is it just for that it is adult?

Yes there are some extremely violent moment in this show. Not only that it is very MATURE, meaning unless your 18 I wouldn't recommend it to you. Hell I saw when I was 20 and still thought that it had some moment that creep me out.

As for the Hentai commend, I mean one could say that it has some scenes where there are some very graphic hentai moments. Picture if you will any Hentai, but done with extremely good quality animation. Although this is suppose to be action, could well qualify for Hentai. It defintely earns 18+ and that "ABSOULTELY NOT FOR CHILDREN" sticker.

Back to the original question at hand, what about Assassin anime that has similar time frame to that Assassin's Creed which is basically the origin of the assassin. It timeframe in history is center around christianity moving into the holy lands (Like the movie Kingdom of heaven) if anyone know of anything similar to that PM or just post here
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Last edited by Deltakiral on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
herzog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Nobody here has seen the professional: golgo 13?
Don't bother with the sequel queen bee. Violent and has uber skin scenes.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
ah yes, I actually have that one as well, thanks though
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
dormcat wrote:
If you are over 18 and okay with hentai then Kite would be a perfect choice for you.

It's called "hentai" because the Director's Cut and Special Edition versions (which, as I understand it, vary from each other by only a few seconds of footage) have three very explicit sex scenes in them in addition to extremely graphic violence. If you don't want the sex content then you can find a regular edition which cuts it out - although it will definitely feel like something's missing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
just added the mentioned animes to my "want to see" list and shall check them out. Thanks for the info...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If you don't want the sex content then you can find a regular edition which cuts it out - although it will definitely feel like something's missing.

I don't mind the sex, I was just confused as to what the word Hentai meant, as I was pretty sure I knew what it meant. I can see now why dormcat called it hentai.

Also it is refreshing to hear praise about a good hentai title. You don't hear that too often, that the story is good. Usually if they say its good, it just means the sex scenes are good. I might have to check this one out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Well if you liked Noir, Madlax, and Gunslinger Girl you've got to check out the awesomeness that is Black Lagoon. My current favorite at the moment, it's a great action series about a group of modern day pirates who sell themselves out to the highest bidder. Liscensed by Geneon it should come out sometime next year on DVD, or you could pick it up fansubbed now. Great storylines, a good cast, fantastic animation, awesome action, and a cool theme song.

In the girls with guns genre there's also Najica: Blitz Tactics, and Mezzo: DSA. They aren't really up to the quality of the three you mentioned but I found them interesting enough. They're a little heavy on the fanservice though.
herzog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote
Mezzo the series? It wasn't much about assassins just a girl running around in spandex.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2