• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (spoilers)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Since AC just came out...I was wondering what you guys thought of the first FF movie. I just finished watching it and I think it's an excellent movie. Some parts are still a little confusing to me but hopefully this post can help smooth it all over. I think the graphics are incredible. It's amazing how life-like the people are. What I don't understand is the ending. I don't remember all the names so bear with me.

Okay, the guy keeps firing the Zeus at the meteorite in order to kill the Phantoms. When Aki and the guy go down into it....The guy (Gray I think the name was) sacrifices himself into Gaia. I don't understand this whole part and how it stops the Phantoms/Gaia.

Maybe I wasn't watching closely enough due to the fact that I'm on the computer but can someone please explain the ending?

Also, post your thoughts on the movie.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
What I thought was outstanding was Aki's hair. It looked like hair. It wasn't having a Goku day. The skin was better than it was a few years ago with CGI, but still looked a little waxy. The jaws moved like the had Marlon Brando's cotton in the mouth from the Godfather.

Time for smarmy answer: When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planets, and love will steeer the stars! Chorus: This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius! Laughing

Seriously, spoiler[this may not be the best answer, but the "ghosts" of the alien world, were missing something, besides life, and by merging with Gaia they got that missing piece.]
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
All of my friends really really hate this movie. Overall, it's not very well liked by most people and the film bombed at the box office eventually bankrupting Square Pictures. I liked it, but didn't think it was anything amazing other then the graphics.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's a lot like AC in that all the effort is put into graphics and animation. But the reason why AC sold well and SW didn't is that AC relates to the most popular of the FF video games and SW doesn't relate to any of them.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
Time for smarmy answer: When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planets, and love will steeer the stars! Chorus: This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius! Laughing

Let the sun shine, Jay, let the sun shine. Into your heart, if at all possible.

It's been a few years since I saw TSW (first in theater, then rented a few years later), so I don't know what I can say about the plot details. However, I don't think the movie deserves as much hate as it gets. Yeah, it wasn't based on a game, and yeah, its story wasn't as good or amazing as the ones from the games, but as an action/fantasy movie, it was all right. The CGI was pretty daring for the time, and there were a lot of good fight/chase scenes Despite all the focus on technology in the plot, the story was still in the FF "spirit," if you'll forgive the pun. I don't own TSW, but it's a movie I'd be willing to watch again. Then again, I didn't think that Final Fantasy: Unlimited was all that terrible, so maybe my opinions are skewed.
b214

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
I really loved this movie, and my friends thought it was alright. People just didn't like how it was a completely different story than any of the ff games. But the story and idea behind it was good and the graphics were good. I'd give this movie a 7.5 out of 10
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm what can I say, I liked this movie, but was disapointed later when I played the FF game and realised that it was nothing like the game, but i heard Avent was awsome, so I will diffeantly get it. This maybe a weird question, but I was under the impression that this was not a japanse animated show? That it was a North american animated show? Werid I know, i would appreciate if you could clear this up for me, I am in kind of a debate with my brother in law with this one. Thanks all.
Alex K.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Hmm what can I say, I liked this movie, but was disapointed later when I played the FF game and realised that it was nothing like the game, but i heard Avent was awsome, so I will diffeantly get it. This maybe a weird question, but I was under the impression that this was not a japanse animated show? That it was a North american animated show? Werid I know, i would appreciate if you could clear this up for me, I am in kind of a debate with my brother in law with this one. Thanks all.

Advent Children is indeed a Japanese film. Why do you think it got delayed so many times?

And no American filmmaker can make something like that. At least, not animated. The only animated films we get are these kids' cartoons from Disney.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Alex K. wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:

Advent Children is indeed a Japanese film. Why do you think it got delayed so many times?

And no American filmmaker can make something like that. At least, not animated. The only animated films we get are these kids' cartoons from Disney.
\

Actually Alex I was refering to the spirts within not Advent children, I know Advent is a japanese realse but I always thought sprits within was a hollywood realase. So yes I was a little confused. Sorry I know I am proabably realeased.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
I own a copy of the "Making of" book for TSW but never have watched the entire movie. I think it was on sale for about 40% of the original cover price. Anyways, the book had enough in it to fulfill my curiosity about this title. No, I did not study and memorize the contents of the chapter where the script was reproduced...
Asuka

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
but was disapointed later when I played the FF game and realised that it was nothing like the game

You are aware that there are currently somewhere in the area of 15 different Final Fantasy games, and only three? of them are connected in any way, right?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I pity your narrow mind. Just because you don't see it in the mainstream doesn't mean it doesn't exist, an anime fan should understand that more than anything. Yet I always see "anime is so hated" when it often becomes apparent it's a two way street. Of course, I guess I don't understand being american and all, I obviously magically lack the animation gene as a result of the geographic location of my birth, right?

As for the first Final Fantasy movie I did enjoy it, though I don't think it should have had "Final Fantasy" in the title, it may have been more well received if it hadn't let down such a loyal fanbase.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darkenin13

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
Ya they have some nerve putting the final fantasy label on it. I remember when it was coming out everyone was so siked. Everyone was like finally a final fantasy movie, and we get some stupid spirtual save the planet undertoned movie with amazing visual effects wasted. What a waste Anime cry of great 3D animation.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Keonyn I comletely agree with you. Seems this guy forgot that japanese animation draws its roots from those very disney cartoons. Also it seems disney is starting to stray from their roots and instead have released live-action and cg animated movies. Besides I like alot of disney films.

As for Spirits Within I found the movie to be quite enjoyable though it did lack in alot of areas. Still I enjoyed it for what it was and since I hadn't played much of any of the final fantasies I wasn't bothered at all that it had barely any similarities to the games.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
Spirits Within is the result of trying to put a plot with drama and action in less than 2 hours. They didn't make the same mistake with Advent Children. The story that's needed to be explained is so immense that it just won't work under 2 hours.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have played maybe one Final Fantasy game (FF7) and that's it. Now, I vaguely remember seeing the preview for TSW and what was in it but I didn't know if it had to do anything with the games due to the fact that I haven't played them. Has Aki been in any Final Fantasy game? And I don't understand how all these fanboys could be disappointed if the trailer shown on tv had NOTHING to do with any of the games. You'd have to kinda suspect it wasn't based on one of the games, wouldn't you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2