• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are DVD Credits a reliable source?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeFreak28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
Are the credits that roll at the end of the official DVDs for OAVS and Animes 100% reliable to go by when submitting?
Or would a official website be better?

Also, on the link to show proof of the information being accurate, if there are no links, what would work to show proof?

I ask, because I take what the DVD Credits say and I can't find links to show proof of the information being accurate, but if their from the official DVD, then they couldn't be wrong.... right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:04 am Reply with quote
AnimeFreak28 wrote:
Are the credits that roll at the end of the official DVDs for OAVS and Animes 100% reliable to go by when submitting?

Sadly, no. Anime smile + sweatdrop See this following example:

(Courtesy of PantsGoblin)

This is the ending credit of Full Metal Panic! episode one released by ADV, which had two evident mistakes:

1. Credited Chiaki Takahashi and Yukari Tamura, both voice actresses (seiyuu), as the episode director and animation director, respectively.

2. Misspelled the family name of Osamu Horiuchi, chief animation director (総作画監督; using the word "general" is very ambiguous, in my opinion) and character designer of FMP!.

Original ending credit of episode one:

(Courtesy of kevingwn)

Translation of the last five rows:

Screencap wrote:
Screenplay, Storyboard: Koichi Chigira
Episode Director: Akihiko Nishiyama
Animation Director: Osamu Horiuchi

Chief Animation Director: Osamu Horiuchi

Director: Koichi Chigira

AnimeFreak28 wrote:
Or would a official website be better?

Japanese official websites would be better than English ones, of course, but even Japanese sites have occassional mistakes once in a while. Morale: search his/her name with kanji through Google, Wikipedia, whatnot, and see if you could find his/her name in furigana and/or romaji. It's very time consuming sometimes, and in the case of secondary staff it's almost impossible to find their names in furigana/romaji. Worse if a male staff has a given name with single kanji character, which might have up to half a dozen different ways to pronounce it. In that case I'd leave the position blank rather than taking the risk of creating an erroneous name entry.

AnimeFreak28 wrote:
Also, on the link to show proof of the information being accurate, if there are no links, what would work to show proof?

A brief explanation should suffice, as long as it's legitimate i.e. can be verified by staff, either through a website, a DVD release (although it's unlikely for us to verity each and every entry by purchasing all those DVDs), or a report from printed materials e.g. magazines. "I saw it in NewType" is not wrong, but "Listed in NewType USA issue X page Y" would be much, much better.

EDIT: Changed the hosting server of the second screeencap.

Last edited by dormcat on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AnimeFreak28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:32 am Reply with quote
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:23 am Reply with quote
As another example (or, in other words, since I went through the trouble of typing it in I might as well bring it up whenever the opportunity arises), the cast lists on FUNimation's Kiddy Grade DVDs contained a number of errors:
http://www.kiddygrade.info/cast/funi/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
Typos and mistranlations (like "Ootaka" as "Ohtaka" and the "u" being left out of "ou" and vice versa and a bunch of others) are extremely common in English DVD credits for anime. With most of the typos you can easily tell what they meant to write (especially if they've already been credited for the same role/staff in later/previous episodes) so they're fixable most of the time. Things like the "Yukari Tamura" error are really the big problems. Fortunetly I was already familiar with Yukari Tamura and found it odd for her to be credited for an Animation Director when her usual role is a seiyuu. Hopefully I won't come across any other errors as big as that one but... ugh, I just wish English companies would put just a little more effort into it because it really isn't that hard (I'm able to easily spot the errors, why can't the companies?).

Really, DVD credits should be reliable but the truth is that most of them are full of typos, mistranslations, and even the occasional miscrediting a person for an inncorrect role. I use them for crediting in the Encyclopedia, but I warn you to be careful and use your best judgement when adding roles and staff.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
How about original Japanese anime DVD, LD, or VHS? I'm sure those are way, way more reliable but I always wondered if they were perfect too.

For example something that has botherered me for many years is who composed the excellent music for the original Oh My Goddess! OVA series. It is credited to Takeshi Yasuda everywhere, including on all Japanese products, and I've researched it extensively to the point where I'm semi-convinced that is correct.

However if you check what he has done, he has supposedly composed music for only 2 or 3 shows over a span of many years, but he has usually worked as the Producer or Planner for many, many anime. I find it odd and hard to believe that a music composer would turn into an Executive Producer. Other types of transitions such as Keyframe Artist/Character Designer --> Director have happened not too rarely, but in that case it's understandable as the skill set required to do both jobs is at least slightly related.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Takeshi Yasuda

Sounds like a very generic Japanese name (i.e. John Smith in English) to me. And you do know that one pronunciation can have multiple kanji and vice versa, don't you?

Porcupine wrote:
Other types of transitions such as Keyframe Artist/Character Designer --> Director have happened not too rarely, but in that case it's understandable as the skill set required to do both jobs is at least slightly related.

Inbetweener Arrow key animator Arrow episodic animation director Arrow character designer / chief animation director Arrow director is THE traditional promotion path for animators.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
And you do know that one pronounciation can have multiple kanji...

Yeah I don't even know how to write my own Japanese last name correctly in kanji, because of that. And none of my family members knows how either. Isn't that pathetic? Sad

I've also questioned if Takeshi Yasuda the anime producer is the same person as Takeshi Yasuda the anime music composer. As I had already said, it seems a bit incredulous to me. But who knows maybe it is the same person and he is just a really talented guy. I don't know what to believe, how could I find out for sure?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
They are a chief source and prescribed source regardless of whether or not they are reliable. Use them. If they're inaccurate, blame the publisher. If they're consistently inaccurate, blame the cataloging code for making you transcribe and record blatantly inaccurate information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1