• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone else with my taste of anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unbrokenaero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I seem to be very hard on anime. If it doesn't reach me the right way, flow in the right direction, have the right type of battles, etc, I just can't seem to get into it. I've tried to find other people with my taste so that I knew of other anime to get, but everyone seems to like about three of the anime I love, and then like about 20 of the anime I hate. I was hoping that I could get some good recommendations from this post (sorry ahead of time if this is in the wrong place or anything).

My FAVORITES
-BLEACH
Amazing animation during battles; Great character development; battle music fits battles (except the high-pitched choral music); Unique Characters.
-FULL METAL ALCHEMIST
Fluid animations; unique battle system; each battle ended differently; very deep story line; very dark topics; detailed character backgrounds and animations; brilliant color.
-TRIGUN
Come on, have you seen Trigun? The best soundtrack of any anime (well, this and Cowboy Bebop's Jazz) that actually fits the mood of the anime; animation so great that the desert looks artistic; the arrogance of the lead character, balance perectly by spoiler[the eventual breaking of the characters spirit during the LaGato battle]; the awkwardness of the character's battle, mixed with the insanity of their power and weaponry; painful stories in every episode; unique enemies each with unique battle systems and personalities; the ambiguity of the characters' motives (Ex. spoiler[Wolfwood]).
-NARUTO
Unique characters, each with a unique attack style (not including blood-line limit); Enemies aren't necessarily "evil," but just a mixture of good and evil (Ex. spoiler[Zabuza and Haku]); Characters grow; Emotional plot-point battles (Ex. spoiler[Zabuza and Haku; 3rd Hokage])
-FLCL
Honestly, I'm not sure why. Every time I watch it, I think "Why the hell did I like this?" But there's just something to be said about being confused for 20 minutes, and yet feeling resolved at the end of every episode (even though you're still not entirely sure what happened); ...Unique characters and battles; I like guitars, because I'm a guitarist; Very powerful voice-overs; possibly the most fluid anime I've ever seen (Ex. When the smoke gets blown through the buildings in the city and then pulled back in. Watch carefully. It flows brilliantly.); dark story elements (Ex. spoiler["Firestarter" and the God Canti]).
-COWBOY BEBOP
Once again, music helps because I'm a musician; Perfect detail to character personalities; Spike's arrogant attitude; The montage at the next-to-last episode where spoiler[everyone parts ways]; the quote: spoiler["I've already died, by a woman" (Spike)]

My...Less Than Favorites
-Rerouni Kenshin
The characters don't feel real enough to me; this Kenshin is far from the Kenshi of Samurai X; the color scheme and music is too "happy" and "bright"; not serious enough; too much down time (cleaning the dojo; making food; etc).
-Outlaw Star
Way too much down time (half an episode to clean a ship and walk around? Seriously.); Annoying repetitive spell incantations; annoying characters; flashbacks happen too fast; boring story line (atleast to me).
-Inu Yasha
I'm sorry. I know everyone loves this series, but I absolutely hate it. Every episode, it's the same: (spoiler[Good guys walk through woods talking about main bad guy. Good guys meet demon bad guy. Demon bad guy has a jewel shard shoved up his...leg, or arm, or forehead. Good guys get jewel shard, but somehow don't get any stronger.]); Way too much down time; No character development.

So, if you happen to agree for the most part with this, and have any recommendations of any other great anime that I'm missing out on, please let me know.[/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy all of the animes that you do, but I also like some of the animes that you don't like.

It's true that Rurouni Kenshin does have a happier feel to it, but that's the point of it. It's supposed to take place after all of the violence, but it still maintains some dark times.

Outlaw Star. I think it's just one of those animes that you have to already have a feel for. i enjoy space animes like that, so I guess that's what made me miss all of the bad points in it. Plus I was very young when I saw it.

I have to agree with you on the case of Inuyasha. It's probably the most repetitive animes out there, besides DBZ.

I also have to agree with you on FLCL. It was so weird and I didn't get a single minute of it, but I liked it. I think about what the point of it was all the time. It was just so random at times.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't this the sort of thing that the Introduction thread and the My Anime sections were created for?
unbrokenaero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Outlaw Star. I think it's just one of those animes that you have to already have a feel for. i enjoy space animes like that, so I guess that's what made me miss all of the bad points in it. Plus I was very young when I saw it.

I agree that age has more to do with the anime you'll enjoy than anything else. I use to swear by DBZ because it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen, and people died...kinda, and battles were intense. However, it seems that it wasn't DBZ that I loved, as much as it was Anime in general. The older I get, the more I loathe DBZ. I mean come on, spoiler[when Namek is blowing up for "five minutes," even Goku says something to the effect of "well, I guess it wasn't five minutes after all."]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I just saw your other thread, and I'd suggest watching Ninja Scroll. A lot of action and other...I'll just say adult material to keep your attention. Not a lot of "smell the roses" time as you would say. Personally it's my favorite anime movie of all time (if it wasn't for this I wouldn't be as deep into anime as I am). Also I would reccommend some Go Nagai titles to you, especially Getter Robo Armageddon. I don't know if you like mecha but in Armageddon I swear there's a new plot twist every 30 seconds. The show goes beyond a mile a minute. And with the frequent "Getter Change" the star bot is constantly changing to adapt to the battle.
unbrokenaero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
I just saw your other thread, and I'd suggest watching Ninja Scroll.

I've been meaning to watch Ninja Scroll for years, ever since I saw it on the top ten list, but I've never managed to. I'll be sure to check into it soon though.

Quote:

I don't know if you like mecha but in Armageddon I swear there's a new plot twist every 30 seconds. The show goes beyond a mile a minute. And with the frequent "Getter Change" the star bot is constantly changing to adapt to the battle.

That sounds perfect. I usually don't like Mecha, but if there's plot twists, it'll be worth it.

Thanks. This is the exact kind of response I was hoping for.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I tend to like most anything actually. Out of the 282 I've seen there's only been 41 I was indifferent to or just plain hated, none of those being any of ones you've listed though. I've seen all or at least part of all of those and found them quite entertaining.
unbrokenaero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and point of FLCL was maturity *or adolesence and growing up* I thought it was one of the best done animes in years, and what could I expect from the people who brought us Neon Genesis Evangelion? I thought the show was pretty easy to understand *why no one else thinks so...i don't get*, they go out and say exactly what the show is about and show what it's about in all the episodes, and if ya didn't get the point, you can watch the commenteries, the creator says what it's about there as well.

The basic underlying plot of maturity I understand (hints to this as subtle as the spoiler[amount of "sour stuff" that Naota likes in his soda, to his love switching between girls and his arrogance when dealing with them.] However, when refering to the confusion, it was more aimed at the physics of FLCL's world, the randomness with which extremely spoiler[perverted robots] seemed normal to this place, and the ambiguity as to spoiler[MM's and Haruko's ] purpose. Even once you understand all of this, show MOOD of the show itself still feels very uneasy, energetic, and confusing. But then again, that's what makes it so unique and great.[/quote]
NaotaInko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it's still energetic, but it's not confusing or uneasy. I love the show for the comedy, music and the story underneath that no one seems to ever get *until they hear from the dvd or someone who watched the dvd*. It's one of the best done animes for those three elements, oh and the animation, simply perfect animation, can't get much better then that. Once you understand the show it feels easy going, energetic and a wild ride, least that's what I think

Oh and what happened to my post....it seems to have dissappered completly?
The Omen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
I like all of the anime that you like.... but i have a different comments.... anyways...... here are some of the animes that i consider a Masterpiece!!!

EVANGELION- I really like the nature of this anime... mecha and religion are mixed up... good sounds... good artwork... .... and good dialogue... This anime is a masterpiece not because of the artwork but because of the mind boggling story!!! the fact that the enemies are called angels and the wierd doll like like thingy are called adam makes me freak out!!! This anime will surely satisfy you.. [ if you like the theme that is!!!] Very Happy oh the creator of evangelion is also the creator of flcl....

Elfen lied- Blood , blood and more blood!!! I really enjoyed watching this anime not because of the cute girls or the brutal nature of it.... but because of the story... I like the mixture of romance, comedy and action... This anime will wake you up to the fact that after all ... humans really are sinful...

GTO- Speed motorcycles , strange lessons , with a Psycho teacher Will make your school life fun!!!! GTO is truely a masterpiece ... many lesson are sured to be learned if you watch this anime... Im sure, everybody thinks that going to school is a crap!! but it will change if your teacher is a motorcycle gang leader!!! he he... Eikichi Onizuka ,22 ,single!! will surely teach you the most important thing that every man should know... and its even important than education!!!.... its FRIENDSHIP...
unbrokenaero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote
The Omen wrote:
here are some of the animes that i consider a Masterpiece!!!

They all sound great. I'll check out GTO last, because I'm not sure if I can get into cycle anime, but if the story is good enough I'm sure I'll love it.

Thanks again. That's exactly the kind of thing I am looking for.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
I agree with your list aside from Naruto and Bleach, considering the fact I have seen neither. Also, in your hate list, I totally disagree with Outlaw Star. I agree with InuYasha, and I haven't seen Rurouni Kenshin, despite the fact I own the Samurai X movies, but Outlaw Star was great fun. Outlaw Star isn't an anime you should have to think about too much or peer at through a magnifying glass to find it enjoyable. I found almost all of the episodes in the series to be thoroughly enjoyable, the characters were all very likeable in my opinion, excluding Aisha (though I did get used to her by the time the last few episodes rolled around).

Trigun is my fav anime of all time btw. If you like those anime you listed, and hate those anime you listed separately, then I'd say you would probably enjoy Samurai Champloo IMO. Correct me if I'm wrong.
unbrokenaero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
I do find Samurai Champloo enjoyable and entertaining, and I love the conflict between the two main guys, but it never connected with me enough to want to watch the rest of it. The girl just brought the cool samurai fights down to a boring "happiness," by constantly saying things like "Sunflower." If it had just been the guys, I would have watched it more thoroughly.
Killuadl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
Check out:

Hunter x Hunter - about 12 yr kid on his journey to become a hunter. Series has nice action, funny and it kept me very enertained.

One Piece - Pirate Luffy's adventure to acquire One Piece treasure. Has nice themes about strong will, it's really funny and has many memorable moments.

Hajime no Ippo - About Ippo the boxer. It's the best anime I've seen. The fights are ill, and it's easy to get into.

Also, Berserk and Grappler Baki.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
The Omen wrote:
EVANGELION- I really like the nature of this anime... mecha and religion are mixed up... good sounds... good artwork... .... and good dialogue... This anime is a masterpiece not because of the artwork but because of the mind boggling story!!! the fact that the enemies are called angels and the wierd doll like like thingy are called adam makes me freak out!!! This anime will surely satisfy you.. [ if you like the theme that is!!!] Very Happy oh the creator of evangelion is also the creator of flcl....

Just for the record, Eva and FLCL do not share the same creator. They were both made by the same animation studio, GAINAX.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2