• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mob/Yakuza Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching/refreshing myself on The Godfather today, and it goes without saying that it is an excellent movie. Anyway it got me thinking, I don't think I have ever heard or seen any anime revolving around a mob, gang, or the yakuza. I was wondering how anime would tackle such a story. If anyone knows of an anime that revolves around such a story I would appreciate it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:19 am Reply with quote
I don't know about anime but Ichi the Killer definetly revolves around Yakuzas.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
I'm a noob and never seen the classics like The Godfather or Scarface etc....

You should check out Gungrave if you haven't. It has what I believe to be one of the best stories.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
You've obviously never heard of Gokusen.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
You've obviously never heard of Gokusen.

- abunai

Holy S*** that's right! spoiler[Yankumi is the heir of her clan!]
Mushiko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:21 am Reply with quote
There is an 'older' movie called Sanctuary, which combines yakuza and political intrigue.

As far as I remember, the movie stands on its own reasonably well, but you'd have to read the manga to get the full story. I'd recommend it, if you like somewhat dark and realistic mature titles. Lots of behind-the-scenes dealings and violence (and sex).
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:33 am Reply with quote
In Crying Freeman the main character is an assassin for the Chinese Mafia I believe.

While I am on the subject, I believe you will find lot more material in manga than in anime. For example Crying Freeman. I think they released only the OAV. But you can get the manga (can you? was it released in the USA? Oh well) which is superior to its anime counterpart. I also want to recommend HEAT, by the same artist. This is, right now, one of my fav manga. It is set in Kabuki-cho, a part of Shinjuku, in Tokyo. This area is famous for its sex industry, a vast number of foreigners, and its mob connections. HEAT captures the atmosphere of Kabuki-cho in such a way, after reading it you will feel as though you`ve actually seen it with your own eyes.
But after saying this I must come clean. HEAT feels like your typical yakuza type manga, with the "immortal and indestructibale main hero" but it carries out its role with perfection. All the characters are clasicaly "cool". The plot is great, the fights are great and you get to see some really cool gansters, my fav being Fujimaki Smile So try that.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote
I know this post isn’t going to be anime related but if you like gangster films and Japan I would most definitely recommend Takeshi Kitano "Brother" and "Hana-Bi" (fireworks in English).

These two films are both spectacular and superb. You won’t find another Japanese director/writer/actor that does films brilliantly.

Space
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
This is an OT suggestion myself. I've only seen the trailers and read a review (and that's been a while) but how about the live-action Princess Blade. It looks pretty good on the trailers at least.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Live movies there is one "The Gentle Art of Japanese Extortion". It should be noted that the Director "fell" off a bridge soon afterwards and the police ruled his death a "suicide".

This might explain why the there are realitively few portrayals of Yakuza in Anime. That, and they are a key "constiuency" of the elements of the Liberal Democratic party who just never seem to lose elections.

All the Best,

Nani?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
This is an OT suggestion myself. I've only seen the trailers and read a review (and that's been a while) but how about the live-action Princess Blade. It looks pretty good on the trailers at least.

Kinda OT myself but if you can understand Japanese, there are tons of live action Yakuza movies out there. Jinginaki-Tatakai and Abunai-Onnatachi just to name a few.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I forgot all about Gungrave. I've only seen the first DVD and it reminded me of Scarface. I've actually seen Brother which I thought was excellent but haven't seen Fireworks. It looks like Gokusen is the series to check out although given everything else on my list it might be a while before I get to it.
Mates

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This might explain why the there are realitively few portrayals of Yakuza in Anime.

Well, there are some anime where the main characters have some problem with the Yakuza and deal with it.

But most of the time its not that serious, or its more fiction.
Just random stuff.

I think if the Director tries to show a story which is strong related to the reality, no one knows what can happen....
Wolf X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that, despite the fact that it takes place in the future, no one has mentioned Cowboy Bebop. I understand that the main characters were bouty hunters but a large number of the episodes dealt with spoiler[Spikes connection with the futuristic Yakuza and other people caught up in its dealings].
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:01 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

It doesn't have anything to do with the Yakuza. It's a semi-futuristic samurai movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2