• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More GaoGaiGar on the way?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:02 am Reply with quote
To be a little more specific, it's from the recently released GaoGaiGar Final Grand Glorious Gathering box set.

More importantly -
The source for this news item: http://www.goshouworld.com/GaoGaiGar/

Make sure to take a look here, as there's some specific info taken from the notes and a color scan from what I'm guessing is a magazine.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
More GaoGaiGar? Now this is some news. Anime hyper Now this is a series I would have loved to have owned. I got that site bookmarked from awhile back. I'm glad the owner finally updated it. It's the best 'GGG' site on the web. I'm checking out this right away!

Now I could guess that there are some things that still worth looking into.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote
Any GGG sequel/spinoff needs to answer the burning question of...

spoiler[Will the GGG crew ever get home?]
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Of course they will, with the oath of courage.] Question is if there was any more GaoGaiGar A. what could be more Earth shattering and threatening? and B. what crazy new weapon would GGG invent to battle it? spoiler[(like Goldion Crusher isn't enough)]
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
More importantly -
The source for this news item: http://www.goshouworld.com/GaoGaiGar/

Holy cow, Derek is still keeping the site (randomly) updated? He's the guy that first got me interested in the Brave Saga back in the 90's. Looks like he hasn't changed a bit.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Awesomeness. Now if they could just release GGG in English, I'd be a happy boy. If I could pick one series to be brought out on R1 DVD, it'd be Gaogaigar.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. Maybe it'll cover the manga period; I'd love to see the fight against BioNet animated, myself.
GuyverC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:01 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Awesome. Maybe it'll cover the manga period; I'd love to see the fight against BioNet animated, myself.

You mean like the Evoluder Guy manga?

IF by chance we are getting some new OAV, based on these pictures, it would sem to be a new story, based after Mamoru and Kaidou return to Earth at the end of GaoGaiGar Final.

But their enemy could very well be Bio-Net, as although Guy certainly tore them up pretty good in episode 1 of Final ( and Renais blowing Gimlet up), no doubt Bio-Net is far from over with their attempts. I figured Mamoru and/or Kaidou would have to become a new GGG pilot to combat the new threat... although I don't really like the new core robot... I do like how they are using Drill Gao 2 and Linear Gao 2 from GaoFighGar, and Stealth Gao 2 from Star GaoGaiGar ( naturally, since it doesn't look like the new core robot has the ring system that GaoFar did... and they probably figured it be best to have the Broken Phantom and Protect Wall handy, instead of just having the Broken Magnum/ Protect Shade).

Mind you, personally, I never liked Betterman that much. So making it a full crossover kinda doesn't sit well with me overall.

But hey, more GGG is more GGG. And that, can only be a good thing.
finalfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:59 am Reply with quote
I'm excited about a new GGG and I, personally, don't mind the crossover with Betterman. It makes sense if you think about it, since the boys are returning to Earth without any of the other supporting members of GGG. The next scientifically advanced group to pick up the mantle would be Akamatsu Industries in this timeline.
One question I have though, does anyone know why GGG has never been bought by an American company? It seems there are alot of fans for the show judging by reactions to news like this, so why hasn't anyone picked it up? Granted we're not a huge legion like those Gundam FREAKS! ( Just kidding) But it seems these companies will release any other piece of fluffy junk that comes their way with little following, so why not this?
clash42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
the reason is really that giant robot shows tend not to do well over here i'd say. what was the last giant robot show that was sold here simply as a giant robot show? let alone a super robot show like GGG? FMA used the teen angst and drama, Godannar and Gravion both used TNA, and Rah Xephon was sold like Eva.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
clash42 wrote:
the reason is really that giant robot shows tend not to do well over here i'd say. what was the last giant robot show that was sold here simply as a giant robot show? let alone a super robot show like GGG? FMA used the teen angst and drama, Godannar and Gravion both used TNA, and Rah Xephon was sold like Eva.

The thing is, GaoGaiGar to many represents the pure essence of what a super robot show is. If you like robots, odds are good you'll like GGG.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
GGG is probably #1 on my list of "Why the **** haven't they brought this to America" list. Even ahead of Doraemon!
This would almost certainly be a hit, especially if they sold the toys as well.
I don't think the "Giant Robots don't sell" argument holds that much weight; EVA and Big O seem to have done well, not to mention some of the Gundams, Transformers, and <shudder> Robotech.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
clash42 wrote:
FMA used the teen angst and drama,

Uh, I assume you ment FMP right? Unless I'm missing another anime with the initials FMA that features giant robots...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't GGG have some kind of complications over the toy license? I remember hearing about that, but I don't know the details (help?).
mrsatan wrote:
I don't think the "Giant Robots don't sell" argument holds that much weight; EVA and Big O seem to have done well, not to mention some of the Gundams, Transformers, and <shudder> Robotech.

Eva's an exception. There's plenty of people who love Eva, but don't give a hoot about giant robots otherwise - they're in it for other reasons. Big O I'm not entirely certain about - it did well enough for CN to fund another season, but that second season didn't do too well in the ratings, as I recall. Transformers and Robotech both have the nostalgia factor going for them, as does Voltron. The Gundam franchise kind of went down the tubes over here thanks to all the repeated failures following Gundam Wing's initial big success (except for maybe G Gundam's moderate success and Seed's DVD sales), but regardless of that, it has a fairly big rabidly loyal fanbase over here that most other robot shows can't boast. That fanbase doesn't necessarily go for other robot shows, especially something as super robot-y and often wacky as GGG.

That's not to say I don't have my fingers crossed or anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1