• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About altrenate titles.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceWhatever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
For Alternate titles in other languages, does the anime have to be licensed in that language's regions or dubbed in that particular language to qualify as having an alternate title?

For Literal translations, in the entry for Bleach (ID#4240), it's written that it is known in Arabic as Al-Mobayid. Which is the Arabic word for the cleaning chemical bleach. Is this correct and/or allowed?

In the entry for Basilisk (ID#4318), the alternate Arabic title is the direct Arabic spelling for the word "Basilisk". As I'm pretty sure Basilisk wasn't released in the Middle-East in any form, is this correct and/or allowed?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
AceWhatever wrote:
For Alternate titles in other languages, does the anime have to be licensed in that language's regions or dubbed in that particular language to qualify as having an alternate title?

Not necessary, but the translation name has to be fairly acceptable and recognizable by fans native to that language. Once the said title is licensed and/or dubbed in that language, the fan-translated title usually would be taken down, unless the official translated title is significantly different from the original.

AceWhatever wrote:
For Literal translations, in the entry for Bleach (ID#4240), it's written that it is known in Arabic as Al-Mobayid. Which is the Arabic word for the cleaning chemical bleach. Is this correct and/or allowed?

The problem is, as far as I know, none of our staff can read Arabic and verify its validity through Arabic websites. However, the user who submitted it has also submitted many other titles in Arabic (55 in two hours...), so unless any Arabic-capable user (how about give us a hand? Wink ) could point out any error I'd say they look valid.

AceWhatever wrote:
In the entry for Basilisk (ID#4318), the alternate Arabic title is the direct Arabic spelling for the word "Basilisk". As I'm pretty sure Basilisk wasn't released in the Middle-East in any form, is this correct and/or allowed?

Hmm, it was submitted the same person. In that case, I already mark it as "improbable" and wait if there's any credible source to provide a valid translation, especially licensing information (if any). In the future, please use the error report system (a button located at the bottom of every entry in Encyclopedia) to inform us about errors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AceWhatever

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks. But how do I know what else this guy submitted? Is it an admin specific function or what?
Xenogearj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey, um, I was looking for an Adults Only! anime called Nurse Me!, but I could not find it anywhere.

It turns out that it is under many different names, all of which are included in the encyclopedia, all except Nurse Me!.

Is this intended due to the fact that Nurse School and Nurse Me! (alternate title) would be next to eachother on the encyclopedia?

Here's the official site where I found the anime: http://www.anime18.com/store/product.cfm?Cat=A18D_2360

Oh, and the anime number is #4891
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Xenogearj wrote:
It turns out that it is under many different names, all of which are included in the encyclopedia, all except Nurse Me!.

Is this intended due to the fact that Nurse School and Nurse Me! (alternate title) would be next to eachother on the encyclopedia?

Fixed. The incorrect "Nurse School" title was replaced by the correct "Nurse Me!" title released in North America. Ironically, both were submitted by the same user.

...Which is another reason I'd like to ask all users submitting adult anime providing Japanese sources, for unlike non-adult titles they often got heavily modified to appeal English-speaking customers. The only exceptions seem to be those with historical and/or supernatural (especially Shintoism) elements, where Japanese titles are partially or entirely preserved to keep the exotic feeling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
...Which is another reason I'd like to ask all users submitting adult anime providing Japanese sources

I think you mean "to provide". ^_^; (I know that English is not your first language, and ordinarily I would not correct you, but in this case you are stating a policy, so...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1