• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suncoast

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RX-7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Suncoast amaze me everytime I go there. They always have some kind of new anime products there. I walked in today and saw japanese candy and anime soundtracks. One day I bet that they will have half the store devoted to anime, which is close to it now.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:04 pm Reply with quote
One of the stores here in Texas has half the store devoted to anime, of course it is also the only Suncoast in this area that has alot of anime.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The only drawback with Suncoast is that they're friggin' expensive. There's lots of places online that offer really good deals. Can't beat free shipping with $100 or more. But sometimes, it's great to find stuff right there in front of you. Thankfully, I have two anime stores and a Japanese bookstore to fulfill that impulse buy. But, admittedly, Suncoast is a great place to buy anime. Just a little pricier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ferquin wrote:
The only drawback with Suncoast is that they're friggin' expensive. There's lots of places online that offer really good deals. Can't beat free shipping with $100 or more. But sometimes, it's great to find stuff right there in front of you. Thankfully, I have two anime stores and a Japanese bookstore to fulfill that impulse buy. But, admittedly, Suncoast is a great place to buy anime. Just a little pricier.

Course, the thing is....some of us can't afford to spend $100 just to have free shipping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
BrianC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Best Buy sometimes has free shipping deals and you don't have to buy $100 worth of stuff to take advantage of them.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:05 pm Reply with quote
And I didn't say free shipping was the only great deal. Lots of stuff gets marked down. TRSI does that a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Too bad they can throw in a discount like Waldenbooks with their card (Replay Card). Usally when I shop at Sunscoast, I have alittle over $100 to burn and it would be nice to have a 10% discount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tiresias

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Amazon now does free shipping with orders over $25. I still go for Best Prices.com though since most of their anime that you find in stores or online for $20-25 you can find there for about $17, and they aren't bootlegs, at least I haven't gotten one from there yet. But if I'm ordering at least 5 titles, I'll go with Amazon for the free shipping since around that number of discs it's worth it for me at least to order with free shipping.
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Too bad they can throw in a discount like Waldenbooks with their card (Replay Card). Usally when I shop at Sunscoast, I have alittle over $100 to burn and it would be nice to have a 10% discount.

I'm with you. I don't like to shop in catalagues and over the internet because I like the feel of holding the case and being able to just choose something you didn't come in planning on buying. When you shop over the internet or catalogues you almost have to be looking for something. I find it much more enjoyable to browse physically.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Coral Skipper wrote:

I'm with you. I don't like to shop in catalagues and over the internet because I like the feel of holding the case and being able to just choose something you didn't come in planning on buying. When you shop over the internet or catalogues you almost have to be looking for something. I find it much more enjoyable to browse physically.

That and I don't like the wait, unless it's for a pre-order. Buy.com is pretty good at sending in time to reach your place on day of release, unless you live overseas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Back in the day (about 5 years ago, to be exact), I used to buy all my anime from Suncoast. I did used to do the whole Replay thing and it worked out well(until they got rid of 20% off weekends and made it "double points" weekend). Then I went through my anime "burn-out" period in '00. And in '01 when I went back to anime again, I noticed the Best Buy by me started carrying more anime. Which is good cause they were cheaper. Then in '02, I discovered the joys of buying stuff online. I'll never buy anything from Suncoast again, at least anime-wise (why pay 30 bucks for the Excel Saga DVD at Suncoast when you can get it for 20 at Best Buy?).
However, I'm sure their other stuff is probably priced reasonably. As a matter of fact, when they had the Sega "real model" Evangelion figures and the Arie Macross Valkyrie and PVC Character figures, they were actually cheaper then this video game shop I used to go to to buy import toys.
RX-7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:55 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I buy from suncoast is newtype usa. The store is merely a display to me because of the prices. but I like to just look around to see what they have.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:49 am Reply with quote
Also Banes & Noble online (http://www.bn.com) has free shipping when you buy two or more items - that's where I get most mainstream anime (i.e Princess Mononke, ect)
Tomoyo714

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:25 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

I work at a Media Play which is owned by the same company as Suncoast, Musicland which in turn is owned by Bestbuy.... the Replay card is our discount card. Waldenbooks card is called a complete different thing. So yes we do have a discount card and its a pretty good deal. I used to use my Replay card all the time before I started working here... now I get better discounts being an employee.
ownerizer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:05 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
One of the stores here in Texas has half the store devoted to anime, of course it is also the only Suncoast in this area that has alot of anime.

Where's that at? I live around the D/FW area, in Richardson close to Plano. But also close to me is Planet Anime, A-Kon and AnimeFEST!. Go figure..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4