• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trigun: What kind of guns do they use?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Recently a user posted a topic on Spike Speigels gun from Cowboy Bebop. This made me think about other guns in anime that mirror real life guns.

Now here's what I've been trying to figure out. What kind of Derringer does Meryl use? She has fifty of them and keeps them in her coat. From what I've gathered (after visiting at least ten different Trigun fansites, then cross referenced to gun sites) they seem to be two caliber, which would make it a double shot. This led me to believe that it is a Remington Double Derringer. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance. Smile
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
mitora wrote:
Now here's what I've been trying to figure out. What kind of Derringer does Meryl use? She has fifty of them and keeps them in her coat. From what I've gathered (after visiting at least ten different Trigun fansites, then cross referenced to gun sites) they seem to be two caliber, which would make it a double shot. This led me to believe that it is a Remington Double Derringer. Am I correct?

I thought hers only had one shot each. I remember one early episode where she hept grabbing then, firing once then tossing them aside and grabbing another.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Don't quote me on this, but given how Trigun is largely a fantasy story and much less rooted in reality than, say, Bebop, I've always felt that the guns in Trigun weren't exactly real-world models per se, but rather general gun types based off of real-world models. Meryl's derringers, for example, probably aren't any real-world model, but rather a general amalgamation of one or two real-world models that were used for reference.

But then that's pure speculation on my part with no source to back it up, so take it with a grain of salt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
There's really no analogue between current weapons and the guns of Trigun.

For example, Meryl's derringers are a stereotypical derringer.

Vash's revolver is incredibly unusual. For one, it's upside down.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Don't quote me on this, but given how Trigun is largely a fantasy story and much less rooted in reality than, say, Bebop, I've always felt that the guns in Trigun weren't exactly real-world models per se, but rather general gun types based off of real-world models. Meryl's derringers, for example, probably aren't any real-world model, but rather a general amalgamation of one or two real-world models that were used for reference.

But then that's pure speculation on my part with no source to back it up, so take it with a grain of salt.

There may be some truth to this. I can remember seeing a close up of Vash's gun, I can't remember the exact episode, and it had the words "Colt 45" on it, I think there was more but I can't remember. So it might be modeled after a Colt revolver but then changed to the fantasy setting. This is obvious because the barrel where the bullet travels through is lower than the hammer, instead of being aligned with it like normal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1