• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best of the Big Three?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennykillek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this has been done or not but out of the most popular and best selling three manga/anime titles (all Shonen Jump) which do you think is the best in terms of dramatic tension, character development, and just all around cinematic quality? The options are, of course, One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto. So which do you think is best? I would order them from best to worst in the order I put them in above. (also, if this topic has been done before please dont ban me i didn't find any results for it)
Eri94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Naruto and Bleach really are a tie for me, but I know I'd definitely put One Piece last.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, seeing as there are a number of anime out there that pull higher sales numbers(except in manga, where I think One Piece reigns) and are more popular than the ones listed, can't really call these "the big 3."

But, if by "all shonen jump" you mean that you're only looking at SJ, then I can see where you're coming from more, despite DBZ being excluded.

Anyway, I haven't seen much of One Piece, so I'll leave that one out. And I can't say that either of the other two are quality shows, but if you put a gun to my head and made me chose, I'd take Naruto over Bleach pretty easily.
Ninjazombie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
For me i am a narutard fan so naruto goes first on my list. Then one piece. Bleach last because where it is now in storyline i am still reading to see if it gets better which i hope it does.
damien007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote
One-piece is definetely up there and from my understanding it is the best selling manga series in japan period. i'd have to say one-piece (original, not the 4 kids crud) is my favourite shonen title. however, not including that i vote for naruto, but that might just be becuase im partial to ninjas. Although if given the choice I'd also vote for the d.gray-man manga (the latest volume was a decent read).
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
People must start justifying their rankings or this thread will have to be locked, as otherwise this is playing out like a listing thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
Whats with the super strict forum moderators on this website? Threads always getting locked Confused

Anyways, considering Fairy Tail now pulls in higher rankings than both Bleach and Naruto I think we can call in the big 4 now. If so, that would be first choice. I love One Piece but Fairy Tail is (or was when it started) something alittle more original (even though its not, it just felt like it was) and the soundtrack is amazing. One Piece has been consistently good for years so that would be number 2 and between Bleach and Naruto I'd probably give it to Bleach even though both aren't very good, at least Bleach was good when it started. Plus I really don't like Narutards.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Whats with the super strict forum moderators on this website? Threads always getting locked Confused

The situation of this thread wouldn't even be open to discussion... because its kind either lead to one liners and listing or flamewars.

My opinion? Watch it. If it was easily decided and argued we wouldn't see this question over and over.

Quote:
which do you think is the best in terms of dramatic tension, character development, and just all around cinematic quality?

Cinematic quality overall is probably One Piece nowadays. Naruto had some outstanding scenes as well. But don't ask me for preciseness because animation wise I'm just not there.

Character development is by far One Piece. Naruto goes over the top often, which is why so many people who watch it will have to hate at least one character. Bleach never accomplished it properly because they focused too much on side characters I don't give a shit about.

I can't think of one when it comes to dramatic tension. Up to the first arc's end Bleach was top notch, but from there's it's a capslock meh. Naruto did fine and still does every now and then, but the recent event with Naruto and Sakura was just MEH. In others words, every now and then it's great, but for every great scene you must put up with plenty of crap including a whole lot of fillers.
One Piece. Hmm. Whenever they get a new member there's outstanding drama. I noticed that the most recent arc really turned into melodrama. I'm not very fond of melodrama, but I guess it was necessary this time - as it involved a major event in the anime.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
This is easy. The answer is Gintama. Best action arcs and filler episodes around. One Piece has recently dropped to the level of Bleach/Naruto with its epic arc and animation quality. Too much drag and poor animation in One Piece is starting to bring it to the level of poor filler arcs of the other two.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think they tried too much with the recent arc of One Piece. The budget most likely couldn't handle that much action. Here hoping it goes back to normal when the drama is over.

Gintama is outstanding, but I'd never put it in the same balance as One Piece and minions.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Yeah, I think they tried too much with the recent arc of One Piece. The budget most likely couldn't handle that much action. Here hoping it goes back to normal when the drama is over.

Gintama is outstanding, but I'd never put it in the same balance as One Piece and minions.

Not to mention, they were adapting the latest anime arc at a pace of about one chapter per episode. So they really stretched things out and added a bunch of filler scenes. Ugh. I actually haven't even finished the anime version of that arc yet, it pissed me off so much.

I'd probably still rank One Piece the highest of the "big 3", simply because I like the original source material that much, and most of the time the anime has done at least a respectable job of adapting it. Plus One Piece has had some moderately enjoyable filler episodes even.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen too much of these shows. However from what little I have seen, I would tie it between Bleach and One Piece.

One Piece seems to have a Dragonball-like sense of adventure that I really love. Bleach's main character Ichigo just seems pretty bad-@$$ to me. Naruto?...No thanks
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Anyways, considering Fairy Tail now pulls in higher rankings than both Bleach and Naruto

Fairy Tail sells about 400k copies per volume. Bleach sells around 600k copies per volume and Naruto sells around a million copies per volume. You can't quite make that statement yet.

For me I'd have to easily go with One Piece. I made it around 70 episodes or so into Bleach before dropping it. I made it around episod 30ish, of Shippuuden before dropping it. But with One Piece I have watched all 493 episodes and I don't plan on dropping it any time soon. Oda has crafted an extremely entertaining tale and I love how he never forgets about certain characters.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't the Fairy Tail anime do better than Bleach's? I see it sometimes in the Top 10 (when other stuff are preempted) but never Bleach.

Anyway, I don't read Bleach, so out of Naruto and One Piece, I'd go for Naruto. I like the charaters and abilities/world more. OP is a bit more comedic and I think it takes away from the other aspects sometimes, plus Naruto seem to be more focused where OP is more 'do whatever we want'
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:
Anyways, considering Fairy Tail now pulls in higher rankings than both Bleach and Naruto

Fairy Tail sells about 400k copies per volume. Bleach sells around 600k copies per volume and Naruto sells around a million copies per volume. You can't quite make that statement yet.

For me I'd have to easily go with One Piece. I made it around 70 episodes or so into Bleach before dropping it. I made it around episod 30ish, of Shippuuden before dropping it. But with One Piece I have watched all 493 episodes and I don't plan on dropping it any time soon. Oda has crafted an extremely entertaining tale and I love how he never forgets about certain characters.

I wasn't referring to manga or DVD sales but I'm sure that I read somewhere that Fairy Tail now has higher TV ratings or at least more viewers than Bleach and Naruto. And that One Piece has about twice that of the second place with like 10.5% or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2