• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommend me a manga that's licensed and out in the US.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeaceMaker1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
And please no manga where the anime is already on TV like Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin, and the likes.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
What do you normally read?
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Do you mean not on US tv, or no anime version, period?

Though either way, I'd still recommend Fullmetal Alchemist- though the anime adaptation is currently airing on Adult Swim, the manga has a distinctly different plotline and is, in effect, a different story entirely after a certain point.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Do you mean not on US tv, or no anime version, period?

Though either way, I'd still recommend Fullmetal Alchemist- though the anime adaptation is currently airing on Adult Swim, the manga has a distinctly different plotline and is, in effect, a different story entirely after a certain point.

Please, if you're going to recommend something, recom title that you think the original poster would enjoy and follow his reques. If he said manga that doesn't have an anime adaption, than he doesn't want manga with anime adaption.

Alchemist449 wrote:
What do you normally read?

He probably enjoy shone title based on his name: Peace Maker, and the title you listed in anime: Kenshin, Naruto.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Except that, as I pointed out, the manga version of that series has a very different story from the anime version. There are large numbers of people in the fandom who are only fans of one version of the story and not the other.

Also, since the original posted didn't specify any particular genre, nor whether or not manga that has anime adaptations that haven't aired on US tv are acceptable, that was one of the better series I could recommend that seems to be enjoyed by a very broad demographic.
chio-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess while we're at it I might as well ask as well. (since I really hate making up my own thread and wasting space on the board, I'll just add to this one) I just read the Saikano series and LOVED it....but now I'm looking for a manga thats kind of along the same....mood I guess (dramatic/romantic) I'm not at all a fan of the foo-foo fluffy romance novels, so are there any good ones out there that aren't painfully teenish? (pr trite for that matter)
PeaceMaker1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, the manga I read are Berserk, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, and Death Note.

And my name is NOT based on the Peace Maker anime. It is based on the PeaceMakers from Scrapped Princess.
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
PeaceMaker1 wrote:
Okay, the manga I read are Berserk, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, and Death Note.

And my name is NOT based on the Peace Maker anime. It is based on the PeaceMakers from Scrapped Princess.

That gives us a slightly better idea as to what we're working with here. Based on the series you have already read, I would recommend checking out Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. It's being released by Del Rey, and the series is by CLAMP. The story has fantastical elements (multiple worlds, inter-dimensional travel), action, and touches of romance.

I would also recommend Chronicles of the Cursed Sword, being released by Tokyopop. It's one of the manhwa that they're releasing, and the story is primarily action/fantasy based.

If you don't mind something more on the shoujo end of things, From Far Away is a good pick. Again, it's a fantasy story, and the little world details are amazing. There is more romance in this title than in the others I've suggested, but it's handled well, and it isn't the primary focus of the story. This series is being released by Viz.

If you could give us a more specific idea of what genre(s) and demographic grouping(s) you're looking for it will be easier to recommend things. Knowing some of the other titles you've read (and presumably enjoyed) helps, but it's still rather hit or miss.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I get the impression that you would love Blade of the Immortal (though being from Dark Horse it can get pricey at nearly $20 a volume).

Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle has some really great fantasy adventure elements to it. And if you like that, you might pick up it's associated book, xxxHolic.

Lone Wolf and Cub is a classic. It may be hard to find in a local bookstore being a relatively older series, but it's got great writing, great story, and incredible art. In adddition to direct film adaptations, the movie (and original comic) Road to Perdition was based heavily on this series about Feudal-era asassin Ogami Itto and his three-year-old son getting revenge against the evil Yagyu clan.
PeaceMaker1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, as for anime. Here's some that I liked.. maybe they have manga that are similar to these..

Scrapped Princess
Honey and Clover (I liked this a lot!)
Serial Experiments Lain
Gantz (I neglected to mention that I love this manga)
One Piece (Again, one of my favorites)
Last Exile
Elfen Lied

and so on
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Let's see:

These first recomendations have anime counterparts, but you should check out the manga for various reasons:

Berserk Since you like Gantz and Elfen Lied, you may want to give this a try. It's about a swordsman named Guts who is seeking out the demons known as Godhand for revenge. It's 29 volumes in Japan and counting and up to volume 9 is available in the U.S fom Dark Horse. It has an anime counterpart, but the manga goes way beyond the anime (which, I believe, ends around the equivalent of volume 12 or so of the manga).
WARNINGS: Pretty violent and deals with some mature subjects. In addition, some recent volumes have explicit sex and nudity.

Flame of Recca A good shonen action/adventure manga about a boy named Recca living in modern day Japan that wants to be a ninja and vows to protect his 'princess,' a girl he just met named Yanagi. Soon after this he discovers he can create and use fire as a weapon. It quickly becomes much more complicated than that, but that's the basic premise. Yes, there is an anime of this, but it only tells the first half of the story. It is 33 volumes total and volume 15 is about to come out from Viz.
Warnings: It's shounen, albeit on the more mature end. Some fanservice and a little bit of nudity but nothing too bad.

Bleach Ichigo Kurosaki is a high school student who can see ghosts, which causes him much trouble. One day he meets a girl named Rukia as she is sneaking into his room. Suprised than Ichigo can see her, she introduces herself and reveals that she is a Soul Reaper. A Soul Reaper is someone who sends ghosts to the next world (the Soul Society) and eliminates spiritual monsters known as Hollows. In order to protect his family from one of these Hollows, Ichigo becomes a Soul Reaper and his adventures begin.
There is an anime of this, but it is not yet available in the U.S. Besides, it's just so good, you should read it anyway. It is 18 volumes and counting in Japan and volume 10 is just about to come out from Viz.
Warnings: Nothing too bad. Can be rather bloody at times.

The remaining recommendations do NOT have anime counterparts.

Red River A young girl named Yuri is dragged to the ancient Hittite empire to serve as a sacrifice for a curse. Queen Nakia summoned her to curse Prince Kail and all the other princes, except for her own son so that he would become the new king. Yuri struggles to survive long enough to return to her own time while helping Kail evade Queen Nakia's plots and various political troubles.
This is a great shoujo fantasy adventure and romance series that doesn't seem to have enough fans. Just be warned that it is a long series by shoujo standards. It's a total of 28 volumes and up to volume 9 is currently available from Viz.
Warnings: Can get a bit 'steamy' at times. I *think* there is some mild nudity but it's not very common.

I've read the first volumes of Eden (from Dark Horse) and Crossroad (from new publisher GoComi), both of which are good but I can't recommend them on one volume alone.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
If you like sports, then go for Eyeshield 21. It's very very funny and there has been no american tv dub, there is a japanese adaptation though. Samurai Deeper Kyo (kind of like kenshin, but with killing) has an english dub, but has not been on tv.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
I stronlgy reccomend Hajime no Ippo. It will be 74 volumes next month. Yeah, it's long, but despite its length, it keeps getting better and better. Where the anime ends (volume 33) is pretty much where the manga gets really good. Same can be said about Berserk

Another manga I reccomend, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure which is 85 volumes. One of the most original titles of all time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Flame of Recca...
Bleach...
Red River...
Crossover...

Well, I cut out the descriptions for length, but I agree with all these recommendations by HitokiriShadow. It's Crossroad not Crossover, though.

Red River is long, but not as long as some of the shoujo series I've seen. It's also one of my favorites. My only warning would have to be that there are quite a lot of romantic scenes, and some of them get rather steamy. I know that isn't a problem for a lot of people, but I know enough people who would freak out about it that I feel it should be mentioned.

It's true that there is only one volume of Crossroad available (second volume comes out in January), but the first volume starts the series out strongly. This series, unlike the others that have been recommended, is not a fantasy or action series. It's a drama/real life type story about what really makes a family and people learning to live together.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
I stronlgy reccomend Hajime no Ippo. It will be 74 volumes next month. Yeah, it's long, but despite its length, it keeps getting better and better. Where the anime ends (volume 33) is pretty much where the manga gets really good. Same can be said about Berserk

Another manga I reccomend, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure which is 85 volumes. One of the most original titles of all time.

Dude, read the topic. He said recommend manga that "license and out in the U.S." Hajime no Ippo isn't license and JOJO isn't out. When you're reading scan all day, you lose track of what title is license and what's not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3