• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Teletoon's stance on anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TcDohl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
What do you think Teletoon's stance on anime is? Have they ever firmly and specifically say what it is? If so, what do you think it is?

I myself think that Teletoon is making a huge mistake with its treatment of anime while it being 'Canada's premier animation network'. This is the same network that up to a few months ago, aired Rocket Robin Hood on prime time. This would have been okay if this was under Teletoon's Teletoon Retro brand, but it wasn't. It's really baffling when YTV is having the last laugh with all the ratings, meanwhile Teletoon only has the Futurama/Family Guy block to show for it (and frankly, I think that's the only time when people watch the channel). I know this is dead and buried, but Full Metal Alchemist would have been a guaranteed cash cow under Teletoon. But still they reject anime like only three guys from some Genshiken-type club room that huddle around the TV screen watch it.

Honestly, I think Teletoon's rejection of anime is a sign that Teletoon hates making money.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quote
TcDohl wrote:
I know this is dead and buried, but Full Metal Alchemist would have been a guaranteed cash cow under Teletoon.

I wouldn't give up all hope just yet. With the Teletoon Retro digital station just around the corner, Teletoon is going through a significant staff turnover right now which, if we're lucky, could get some new blood running through the programming department. But of course, based on things as they stand now, it's very clear that Teletoon, on some significant level, is operating with a distinct anti-anime bias. Smaller deals have been made about things that were eventually addressed, but the anime issue has been pushed aside for well over half a decade now.

But, you know... I'd be very interested to hear what tempest's view on the Teletoon situation is. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1