• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai 7 Eps 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
This is a question regarding Samurai 7 Episode 7, titled "The Friend". This show was made at 300,000 dollars an episode because it was produced in high definition. (Which it says in the encyclopedia on this site) Though in Episode 7 the first half of the episode is done in a really horrible, real cheap style of animation. It is not explained or anything it just is. I am not sure if it was meant as an artistic style, budget issues or what.

So I am wondering if other people have seen this and what there opinion is. Maybe someone did some research and found out. I am just really curious since I found it very odd and have never seen it before, except when intentional, like in FLCL or a certain scene in Samurai Champloo. Thanks.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I know what you're talking about. It was weird. I was confused and extremely annoyed. It didn't make sense at all. They couldn't have done it based on humor because it is, clearly, not a comedy. Who knows. But it might have something to do with the scene, trying to set a mood. which did not work at all.
darkcancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
They wanted to portray the idea of the friend and get that across to the audience.. atleast that's what I got from it.
fargazer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that the drawing change was ill considered but deliberate.

Fundamentally, Shichiroji is a samurai - not just some lout missing the authority and privilege samurai enjoyed in earlier days, but a true bone deep samurai. Since the war he's denied his true nature, and tried to adopt to a casual civilian life in Respite. This denial of his true nature, the fantasy cocoon he's wrapped himself up in, is reflected in the crude drawing style of the episode.

At the end of the episode, Shichiroji likens the arrival of Kambei as "waking up from a dream"; after this episode, the drawing style reverts back to it's normal quality.

At best, it's an attempt to use style to augment the story; if so, they need to write 500 times on the blackboard "I will never ever screw up the art quality again to make a story point!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Just to correct you on one thing, the bad animation ended at the comercial break, but other than that I believe your 100 percent correct. Watching it again I realized that the animation got clearer the second Shichiroji met Kambe. It was a bad choice though, because if thats what they intended to do they should of done it only when it was focused on Shichiroji, not the other members of the seven samurai.

I won't complain though, the show is getting more and more interesting, I still dont see how those seven can take on the giant robot bandits. I dont think they will be able to use the river to protect the village like in the original..... Wink
aucontrol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I know these were posted a long time ago... I also had the same question and happened upon this forum.

Just to counter any opinion that it was artistic... in episode 17 "the rememberance" the same animation happens again for a period of time. I assume it is some sort of rewrite where the animation had to be redrawn and fast.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think anyone cares after 3 years. If you'd like to start another thread, feel free to...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1