• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
saint seiya

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickybsb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
hi Smile so i am a big saint seiya fan
well i really enjoyed this anime when i was very young- and just rediscover my love for it very recently and by coinsidance
anyway - i am using my spare time looking for saint seiya everything- and found there are fans of the new sagas but everything i find is in other languages that i really try to but don't understand
so if any of you could lighten me up please-please do::::::: Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:47 am Reply with quote
I'll give you a breif rundown on what has happened.

Due to fan response and various disagreements ironing themselves out, Toei have gone and started work on new Saint Seiya Animation. There was a 13 episode OVA/PPV-only TV series, which was supposed to be the start of a brand new, 52+ episode thing, however it was cut down to 13 episodes and covers roughly one third of the Hades arc. Apparently, the first two episodes, possibly fan-made, for a "King Zeus" are were made and put out onto DVD, but I don't know about that.

The author, Kurumada, jumped the gun, and created a story for a 5th movie, which takes place after the Manga, called "Tenkai-hen ~ Overture", which means that the story in the Manga might continue via films or even TV series, or new Manga might be written.

Kurumada, somewhat dissapointed with the voice cast from the 80's (Except for the man who played Seiya. All of them sounded too old for their roles, according to him), and decided a new one was in order, except for Seiya. He asked the man who played Seiya to hand-pick a new cast, however he refused to participate unless he was working along side his friends.

A new PPV series, which contians six of seven 45 minute episodes that covers the Inferno section of Hades, is coming out in December, and features a completely brand new Japanese cast. Various grumblings and such have occoured, but this is how it is.

I'm sure there's people with a better idea, but that should help you for the mo.

For other news, Saint Seiya has been getting a consistient DVD release in Japan, with the original TV series being broken up into five, 4 disc boxsets, a 4-disc movie box, 6 DVDs for the Hades OAV, and a Tenkai-hen Movie disc.

Saint Seiya was recently picked up by DiC and ADV, and DiC syndicated an English dubbed "Knights of the Zodiac" for Cartoon Network and other television stations. This was fairly edited, contained horrible TMNT style dialouge, and overall failed miserably. The DVD release from ADV was the original Saint Seiya, with an accurate dub using different actors. However, various legal permission0fluffups, have made it so that ADV can only put out till episode 60, however they are apparently trying to secure more.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I wish ADV would have some info on whether or not they've got the rest of the series. It'd be a shame if they only licensed up to 60, leaving it hanging like that and all. Last I heard, Toei wanted to try and release it out here by themselves but, I've also heard that they're no longer producing their own titles out here. Most people in the states hate it so I wouldn't be surprised if nothing more came of it out here...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
well, you have 5 movies i believe.
first there is the TV series in where you can fit in the first 4 movies, then you have the Hades chapter OVA followed by the Tenkai hen movie.
Last i heard was that they were making another OVA of the events happening between the end of Hades and the beginning of Tenkai-hen
son_michael

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
there is also a hades manga, which is complete and not interupted like the ova
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
Furuya Tooru is not the only one that sounds too old? I know the guy who plays Shiryu, Suzukoka Hirotaka still sounds pretty good IMHO. Those two seiyuus are still doing a good job reprising their roles in the new Z Gundam movies.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haohmaru Of The Wind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The creator of saint seiya is making a samurai shodown manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
Furuya Tooru is not the only one that sounds too old? I know the guy who plays Shiryu, Suzukoka Hirotaka still sounds pretty good IMHO. Those two seiyuus are still doing a good job reprising their roles in the new Z Gundam movies.

To me they still sound fine, but the author is probably fairly anal about these things, so whatever. It's done now, not much can be done about it.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:51 am Reply with quote
Han Keiko is still playing Luna for crying out loud! I hope they bring her back as Athena also. Tomino always lets the majority of his seiyuus back even if they did sound too old for his Gundam shows.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1